Stanton and Dempsey stay

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Stanton and Dempsey stay

Post by boncer34 »

Gimps wrote:Paul Williams played over 300 games for Collingwood/ Sydney. Surely he doesn't fit your criteria for a 250+ game player?
Rohan Smith another.

What's the difference between Marcus Ashcroft and Stanton? Ashcroft lucked into one of the greatest teams of all time.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Also sorry Benny I'm being cranky.

I just happen to be posting to you at the same time I'm getting jacked off by our server so you're copping me being a c***.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:Right so I present arguments and stats.

You present hyperbole and vibes.

Not going to waste my time Benny.

You said he didn't perform on ANZAC day. I've showed he does.
You said he didn't perform in finals. I've showed he does in the limited exposure he's had.
You sum up his career with one effort. I explain it. You ignore because it suits your argument to do so.
You say he does the 1/2 handball. I say he doesn't. You ignore this and start with the "Its easy to chip around."

No good team in the history of the game would let go of a guy who gets the pill 22-26 times a game week in, week out.

You hate him. Fine. Whatever.

You're wrong about him though.
You failed to read my arguments, facts and stats?
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:Also sorry Benny I'm being cranky.

I just happen to be posting to you at the same time I'm getting jacked off by our server so you're copping me being a c***.
I'm not taking it personally. I like the debate 8)
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:

You said he didn't perform in finals. I've showed he does in the limited exposure he's had.
You sum up his career with one effort. I explain it. You ignore because it suits your argument to do so.
You say he does the 1/2 handball. I say he doesn't. You ignore this and start with the "Its easy to chip around."

No good team in the history of the game would let go of a guy who gets the pill 22-26 times a game week in, week out.

No. They were just rubbish. :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

HA!

I must admit, I rate Stants on a par with my avatar. I may, one day, be re-incarnated :wink:
Essendunny
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

HA!

I must admit, I rate Stants on a par with my avatar. I may, one day, be re-incarnated :wink:
Me too, as a blow fly, what a super job.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

HA!

Me too, as a blow fly, what a super job.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

DC2 wrote:this thread is deceiving. It comes across like stants already had a 2 year deal sown up., but it appears this is not the case at ll. Apparently the club has done what most here wanted and stood firm with 1 year and thats it.
Still deceiving? ;)

Dempsey signed.
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

2 game killers signed on for another year.

Demps has become a liability because he's neither attacking enough or defensive enough. He could have been both but doesn't seem to have what it takes to get there. I was a big fan up until the last 2 years but I'd be surprised if he turned it around.

Stanton will keep doing what he does. Get the ball in positions which benefit no one but the stats sheet. Very rarely gets forward of the ball to really make an impact and all his work now is on the defensive side. He's become the classic stop and prop player. A fair chunk of his kicks are now when he is stationary.

He can't close anynone down quick enough and can't spread quick enough. It's all about the mosquito fleet and run, carry spread these days. You need to make an impact without the ball. A big weakness of his.

He plays a fair bit behind the ball but rarely takes an intercepting mark and rarely impacts a contest. He wants to play some sort of quarterback role but so does Goddard.

You only need to look at Shaun Burgoyne. Plays of half back, doesn't get it as much as these guys but the impact is 10 times more.
Wally
Top Up Player

Post by Wally »

Really don't understand the hatred towards Stanton but in true Essendon fashion there has always been a whipping boy - from Walshy to Fish to Bradley (most noticeably come to mind) to recently Stants.

If Stants & Dempsey aren't in our best 22, I'm pretty sure under Woosha they wont be playing. If there is others to take their place and they are good enough - they will.

You can't completely gut a club of it's long serving players (regardless of their standards) and expect instant success to walk in the door. Just look at Melbourne - has worked wonders for them !!

I'm glad both are still here. Both loyal and want to be 1 club players. Will be a rare feat in 10 years time !
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:2 game killers signed on for another year.

Demps has become a liability because he's neither attacking enough or defensive enough. He could have been both but doesn't seem to have what it takes to get there. I was a big fan up until the last 2 years but I'd be surprised if he turned it around.

Stanton will keep doing what he does. Get the ball in positions which benefit no one but the stats sheet. Very rarely gets forward of the ball to really make an impact and all his work now is on the defensive side. He's become the classic stop and prop player. A fair chunk of his kicks are now when he is stationary.

He can't close anynone down quick enough and can't spread quick enough. It's all about the mosquito fleet and run, carry spread these days. You need to make an impact without the ball. A big weakness of his.

He plays a fair bit behind the ball but rarely takes an intercepting mark and rarely impacts a contest. He wants to play some sort of quarterback role but so does Goddard.

You only need to look at Shaun Burgoyne. Plays of half back, doesn't get it as much as these guys but the impact is 10 times more.
Ripping post, completely agree.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

tonysoprano wrote:
kelvin_sheedy wrote:2 game killers signed on for another year.

Ripping post, completely agree.
Yep - cannot disagree with any of the sentiments above.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Stanton is better than most teams hack players

Let's leave it at that
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Whilst he is still a better player than 20 others on the list, you can begrudge the club for keeping him. There's blokes on the list that have never shown enough, and likely never will. Get rid of them and bring in someone that will compete for Stanton's spot. That's the real issue, not Stanton being on the list.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Gimps wrote:Whilst he is still a better player than 20 others on the list, you can begrudge the club for keeping him. There's blokes on the list that have never shown enough, and likely never will. Get rid of them and bring in someone that will compete for Stanton's spot. That's the real issue, not Stanton being on the list.
This.
And what Boncer said above.
And what Windy said about other teams hack players.
And what someone said about him not being our club's biggest problem. Not even in the top 10 biggest problems, so until there's 10 guys better, he earns his place.
And, as Jack Dyer would have said - he's a good ordinary footballer.
Every team needs them. They play a role. And it's most notable and effective when they have a proper functioning team around them. It's a team game. Didn't hear complaints when the team were OK. He was the guy running up and down the ground finding space, when the team's ball movement permitted it.
How about we compare him to Zaharakis? I can't be bothered finding the stats but I bet it would be enlightening, yet Zaka cops hardly any criticism.

As for Dempsey, much the same really, in that it's about the team. He was good a couple of seasons ago. Injury problems played a role. And then so did Hird and his fanatacism for defence. Dempsey isn't a true defender. Let him run. Yet, to his credit, when challenged to be a defensive player I thought he did pretty well trying to adapt. Not perfect of course, far from it, but the change and improvement in that area was noticable.
I'll be very surprised if Woosha doesn't give Dempsey more licence to run and be creative next year.
Again, far from our worst.

I'm happy they're both staying on.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:
Gimps wrote:Whilst he is still a better player than 20 others on the list, you can begrudge the club for keeping him. There's blokes on the list that have never shown enough, and likely never will. Get rid of them and bring in someone that will compete for Stanton's spot. That's the real issue, not Stanton being on the list.
This.
And what someone said about him not being our club's biggest problem. Not even in the top 10 biggest problems, so until there's 10 guys better, he earns his place.
Every team needs them. They play a role. And it's most notable and effective when they have a proper functioning team around them. It's a team game. Didn't hear complaints when the team were OK. He was the guy running up and down the ground finding space, when the team's ball movement permitted it.
How about we compare him to Zaharakis? I can't be bothered finding the stats but I bet it would be enlightening, yet Zaka cops hardly any criticism.

As for Dempsey, much the same really, in that it's about the team. He was good a couple of seasons ago. Injury problems played a role. And then so did Hird and his fanatacism for defence. Dempsey isn't a true defender. Let him run. Yet, to his credit, when challenged to be a defensive player I thought he did pretty well trying to adapt. Not perfect of course, far from it, but the change and improvement in that area was noticable.
I'll be very surprised if Woosha doesn't give Dempsey more licence to run and be creative next year.

LOL

At least Zakka has won a B & F, an Anzac Day medal, and won games off his boot. And he's only played half the amount of games Stanton has...
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:
nudder12 wrote:
This.

LOL

At least Zakka has won a B & F, an Anzac Day medal, and won games off his boot. And he's only played half the amount of games Stanton has...
Stantons last game of 2015 didn't happen I guess.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Stanton has been serviceable, he is no superstar. We have all known that for a long time but have expected so much from him due to having a very poor side so for long. He could possibly perform better in a good side with less pressure on him and with better players around him but we will probably never know.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Stanton in the team is fine, it's the expectations placed on him that is the problem. We need better mids that are simply ahead of him out there on the park, if that were the case no-one would have a problem with him being in the team playing his role. He is a runner and finds the pill, maybe we need others to run with him that can get it from him and do some damage
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals