Chappy & BJ

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Chappy & BJ

Post by Ronny Rotten »

According to today's paper Chappy's book will be released soon & Robbo indicates it would be "riveting reading".

Chappy has a crack at Goddard saying that BJ's "playing style is self centred & more destructive than constructive in relation to his teammates".

it was also mentioned, by Robbo, that there has been rumours about player unrest about BJ, with him being a competitive beast & a perfectionist. He hates seeing players waste their time & his. It"s why BJ had a falling out with Carlisle. He goes on to say that Carlisle punching Goddard in the head at training didn't help the situation.

Interesting, now we know why Carlisle is pissed off, apparently his attitudinal problems, irked Goddard enough to have a crack at him.
Now he is the Aint's (or Dawk's) problem...
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Chappy & BJ

Post by Gimps »

We need more players like BJ, and less softcocks that can't hack it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:We need more players like BJ, and less softcocks that can't hack it.
Spot on.
Essendunny
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Gimps wrote:We need more players like BJ, and less softcocks that can't hack it.
Yep.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Agree, wholeheartedly
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BJ can shout all he likes at players not doing the right thing on the field

But he needs to set a better example - he played a lot of junk footy this year
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:BJ can shout all he likes at players not doing the right thing on the field

He's set many good examples. Poor form doesn't mean poor professionalism.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BERT wrote:
Yep.
Bert - your Avatar selections are 2nd to none.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:BJ can shout all he likes at players not doing the right thing on the field

Indeed. He's been a damn good player for a long time. If softcocks can't hack his yelling, f*** off.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Indeed. He's been a damn good player for a long time. If softcocks can't hack his yelling, f*** off.
Was also a well known issue before drafting him.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Yep, a little shouting never hurt anyone.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Expect BJ to get back to his old form when Jobe returns and the Jakes piss off. (+J -J -J = BJ++) :D
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

More from Chappy:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pa ... 7581634079

"Everyone really hurt after the (Round 14) St Kilda loss. We were asking ourselves, how it got to the stage where we were losing games by 110 points. It was the simple things, like setting up the ground. It’s one of the easiest things to do in footy but we couldn’t even get that right. Where were our heads at? Basically, the boys had nothing left — nothing to draw on.

During 2015, I remember Jobe Watson explaining that when he was first made captain, he could dig deep and find that extra mile to drive him forward. But after the ASADA ordeal, he would reach down and there was nothing there, completely empty.

He said he had lost some of his competitive juices. He admitted that the drug problem had worn him down.

Whilst he was once focused on winning with uncompromised efforts, since then, it came more about clearing his name and his energy was devoted to repairing his and the club’s reputation. He had given so much of himself to that and had nothing left to be the best player and leader he could be. It was really sad to hear.
During the year when blokes were out of form or down in the dumps, Jobe always went out of his way to make sure they were okay, both personally and professionally. His fire had gone out so basically he cared more about them than he did for himself.

I learnt a lot about Jobe during the year. Clearly devastated by the whole mess but would still pick himself up and do what he had to for the team. I have a lot of respect for him.
"
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Sismis wrote:More from Chappy:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pa ... 7581634079

"Everyone really hurt after the (Round 14) St Kilda loss. We were asking ourselves, how it got to the stage where we were losing games by 110 points. It was the simple things, like setting up the ground. It’s one of the easiest things to do in footy but we couldn’t even get that right. Where were our heads at? Basically, the boys had nothing left — nothing to draw on.

During 2015, I remember Jobe Watson explaining that when he was first made captain, he could dig deep and find that extra mile to drive him forward. But after the ASADA ordeal, he would reach down and there was nothing there, completely empty.

He said he had lost some of his competitive juices. He admitted that the drug problem had worn him down.

Whilst he was once focused on winning with uncompromised efforts, since then, it came more about clearing his name and his energy was devoted to repairing his and the club’s reputation. He had given so much of himself to that and had nothing left to be the best player and leader he could be. It was really sad to hear.
During the year when blokes were out of form or down in the dumps, Jobe always went out of his way to make sure they were okay, both personally and professionally. His fire had gone out so basically he cared more about them than he did for himself.

I learnt a lot about Jobe during the year. Clearly devastated by the whole mess but would still pick himself up and do what he had to for the team. I have a lot of respect for him.
"

the part about jobe wasnt really a surprise to hear, as jobe comes across like that. even though his form may have slipped due to the asada burden, his off field leadership and care didnt seem to waiver. true leaders put others before themselves. this is why he should still be captain (*cough, gringo, cough)
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

Problem with BJ is he doesn't practice what he preaches. He lacks accountability on the field and no matter how good he is he cannot afford to do that in a team game.

He is not Ablett jnr, Dangerfield, Judd. Only a few players can get away being completely unnacountable.

That fact that it pissed off more than just Chappy highlights he needs more work on his leadership.

His leadership was questioned at St Kilda also. He was seen as the disposable one and we picked him up.

We have only one real leader at the club and that's Dyson Heppell. He just goes about his business with no fuss and gets it done and never complains or whinges. Unfortunately most clubs have a handful of Heppell's but we only have one.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I disagree re Heppell being our only leader...I would at least have Hooker & Hurley in there...
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Crazyman wrote:I disagree re Heppell being our only leader...I would at least have Hooker & Hurley in there...
Jobe Watson says hi.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:Problem with BJ is he doesn't practice what he preaches. He lacks accountability on the field and no matter how good he is he cannot afford to do that in a team game.

He is not Ablett jnr, Dangerfield, Judd. Only a few players can get away being completely unnacountable.

That fact that it pissed off more than just Chappy highlights he needs more work on his leadership.

His leadership was questioned at St Kilda also. He was seen as the disposable one and we picked him up.

We have only one real leader at the club and that's Dyson Heppell. He just goes about his business with no fuss and gets it done and never complains or whinges. Unfortunately most clubs have a handful of Heppell's but we only have one.
The last part above... possibly the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this site, and I've read some ****** doozies.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Crazyman wrote:I disagree re Heppell being our only leader...I would at least have Hooker & Hurley in there...
Jobe Watson says hi.
Yes, but thought that was obvious and was thinking of the next group coming through...
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

Too many excuses for this group and the last 10 years.

You don't have your captain go to watch the ashes in the middle of the season to get away from it. Circumstances may be a little out of the ordinary but the leader is supposed to lead, not take a break. Jobe has had a very poor few years in terms of leadership. The saga has affected him more than most.

I'd say Hooker is another leader. Hurley slowly getting there.

Goddard is not a genuine leader imo. He had about 2 great seaason of football and the rest his output doesn't match his reputation.

Chappy should also cop a bit of flak. In the article he states he would have said something when he was at Geelong but at Essendon he didn't. Well, we recruited him to be a leader but he couldn't bring what he offered at Geelong to us.

When you compare us to the better teams we fall way too short.