Lost Trust

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Lost Trust

Post by Flip »

Great Article by Robert Shaw.....never saw the disaster of 02/03 as on par with recent events, but he is closer and the way he explains you can see the similarities in "tearing the heart of the club"......never put a bloody Accountant anywhere near a Footy Department :(

Lost Trust by Robert Shaw June 2, 2016 2:18 PM

Over the past couple of years, the AFL media has gone with an early call.

That is, there would be a mass exodus of Essendon players because of the circumstance they found themselves under. Certainly, unfairly, the pointy end of a tragic breakdown in trust between club leaders, staff and the players. Who would blame them at the time? They have always had the right to leave. Fortunately, the ‘three C’s’ have returned to the Essendon Culture. Confidence, Care and Compassion. Players are free to make their choice. Bit by bit they return. Well done to the Club on providing the environment where players are ‘falling back in love ‘with their footy club.

It wasn’t always a matter of choice. Some of our players once had no choice. It was October 2002 and the media naturally called it ‘trade week highlights’. Highlights!! Gee. Three of our most popular and structurally important premiership heroes in Justin Blumfield, Blake Caracella, and Chris Heffernan were lost in a Bomber exodus to Richmond, Brisbane and Melbourne respectively. Yep just a list of names being traded out at this time of year! A list of names!! Essendon has not won a finals game since 2004. This was the beginning of that ‘run’. This was a breakdown of trust. Different to recent events of course but a similar theme in loss of trust and faith in our system. I hope we are all learning our lessons.

Blake Caracella would continue his career at Brisbane and Collingwood.

This was a group of mates that bought Essendon ultimate success. They couldn’t have been closer. For example, just a small snapshot. Together with coaches and staff we would spend Monday evening together at a local Essendon pub, eating the wrong food, sampling the local brew and the odd one sneaking out the back ‘for a dart’. But that was us. UNBREAKABLE.

Peter Jackson was an excellent administrator, but was not renowned for his football knowledge. Graeme McMahon, sadly still missed to this day, was a great Chairman and of course there was also Kevin Sheedy. The excellent Matthew Drain led a united, supportive football department. Four powerful figures that the club had the utmost faith and trust in. The working relationship, trust, integrity and empathy of the big 4 are the keys to club culture. They drive it.

We had lost a GF to Brisbane but we were still in the hunt at the start of 2002. There was good news when then CEO Peter Jackson informed us that James Hird’s salary would have a significant veterans allowance attached. Around the mid-season with Essendon coming off three years of high level form, including two grand finals and a 1-point preliminary final loss, Peter Jackson strode into List management/Match Committee and informed them that he was extremely confident that the AFL would not include Hird’s veteran allowance in our salary cap. So players were signed up on that understanding. Jackson was after all, the CEO.

It turned out to be a terrible miscalculation by Jackson when the AFL decided to stick with the existing veteran’s agreement. The challenge was then passed over to the Match Committee. We were around $600,000 over the cap. We had to bring the salary cap down and ultimately Essendon had to sack three premiership stars and ultimately tore “the heart out of the club”.

Blake Caracella, Justin Blumfield and Chris Heffernan were told to find new clubs when the Essendon executive realised they had wrongly banked on Hird becoming a veteran in 2003. Was it ever the same club again? Justin Blumfield was in the Cook Islands on holidays. The coaches shared the job of ringing the players individually. The ramifications of this went well past 2002-2003.

Matthew Lloyd, a champion player and close friend of the three boys said; “It ripped the heart out of our footy Club. The boys were in tears and said we don’t want to play for another Club.” As a member of the coaching panel at the time I find no reason to disagree with Lloyd.

None of the players were the same players we saw at Essendon. Essendon was never the same without those players.

Blake Caracella added another 61 matches to his career, including 34 for Brisbane and 27 for Collingwood before a serious neck injury ended his career. He played in two premierships, one for the Bombers in 2000 and his second with Brisbane in 2003. Justin Blumfield’s career finished with Richmond at the end of 2004, where he added a further 19 matches to his career after playing 129 for Essendon. Chris Heffernan played 47 matches for Melbourne after leaving the Bombers in 2003. He then returned to Essendon in 2006 and finished his career on 170 games in 2007.

To compound the issue, Matthew Drain left, and was replaced by Dominic Cato, Graeme McMahon retired (irreplaceable), two pillars in Sheeds and John Quinn fought on while all assistants left or were replaced. No funding was allocated to recruiting and Sheed’s and Adrian Dodoro wrongly get canned for their ‘bargain basement ‘selections at the time.

No money was spent on upgrade of facilities and in 10 years we went from state of the art to totally inadequate. It was one of the reasons Essendon left our spiritual home for Tullamarine. The Club continued to make million dollar profits, but I have no idea why some of this wasn’t distributed to club facilities and recruiting.

Eventually the big 3 had left the building. McMahon retired, Drain moved on and Sheedy replaced. Jackson remained to oversee the appointment of young coach, Matthew Knights.

Peter Jackson will maintain that the ‘clean out’ of all Sheedy’s strong allies had to be done to give Knights a blank canvas to operate without the immense shadow. To Sheedy’s great credit he once said; ‘If I had my time again I should have left when I sacked Blumfield, Heffernan and Caracella’. In fairness to you Kevin it wasn’t your fault and you didn’t sack them!

The US Marine core trademark and ethos includes a saying: ‘You must have generational focus’. This means the culture, ethos and standards are passed down from generation to generation. It has to be the same in a football club. The ‘same old’ fabric of Essendon has been tested severely twice in the past 14 years. Our generational focus was severely diluted.

Essendon are slowly, methodically getting back on track. If you put people first, show respect to Essendon people and maintain unconditional trust then that track is clear and without detours.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Lost Trust

Post by Jazz_84 »

Geez, just goes to show you can't always look at things on face value. We all smashed Sheedy for his recruiting but seems like life was made pretty tough for him...

hope we have the right people at the club now, we aren't here to make a profit we are here to win more of those cups and I hope some of the boys currently at the club get to drink beer from one sometime soon!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

What comes first? Insight or hindsight?
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

Both........ and the ability to learn and not repeat as Hawthorn appear to have learnt.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Losing Hardwick to Port was the real killer IMO. That stunk.

Love how Robert Shaw absolutely loves the red & black. Love reading his articles. But I can never get the fact out of my head about his immature cricket exploits at Doutta Stars in the late '80's.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

BenDoolan wrote:Losing Hardwick to Port was the real killer IMO. That stunk.
That really hurt. Along with Dimma and the other three in the side I think we would have been a genuine contender in 2003. We had some big results that year with 3 or 4 younger guys being carried each week.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Very telling article. I just hope he is right that these issues are now being fixed, otherwise we're stuffed for another ten years or more!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

How can Shaw say that Jackson was "an excellent administrator" but then say this:
No funding was allocated to recruiting and Sheed’s and Adrian Dodoro wrongly get canned for their ‘bargain basement ‘selections at the time.

No money was spent on upgrade of facilities and in 10 years we went from state of the art to totally inadequate. It was one of the reasons Essendon left our spiritual home for Tullamarine. The Club continued to make million dollar profits, but I have no idea why some of this wasn’t distributed to club facilities and recruiting.
The bit about Caracella, Blumfield and Heffernan leaving is excellent, but then he didn't mention Hardwick and contradicts himself re Jackson.

Stick to writing about on-field matters.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Jazz_84 wrote:We all smashed Sheedy for his recruiting but seems like life was made pretty tough for him...
Yeah, but I could have told him not to recruit Zantuck and Cole.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:But I can never get the fact out of my head about his immature cricket exploits at Doutta Stars in the late '80's.
Please explain.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:But I can never get the fact out of my head about his immature cricket exploits at Doutta Stars in the late '80's.
Please explain.
The old EBKCA competition in the '80's was a pretty good standard local comp. The firsts were probably the equivalent of district 4ths (at a guess).

In 1986/87 my club Aberfeldie Park defeated Doutta Stars in the 4th XI Grand Final. Douttas hate losing. They hold grudges. And evoke revenge.

Robert Shaw just finished his district 1st XI career with Essendon that year I believe. He was a pretty good opening bat at that level.

When our 4th XI fronted up against Douttas in 1987/88, non other than Robert Shaw opened the batting for them. Made a "courageous" 202. To put it in perspective, it would have been like a Year 12 student playing against Preps.

I must admit, I laughed my head off when our 4th XI returned to the club that day. The scorebook was littered with boundaries. Bowling figures were totally dis-figured haha.

Not content with that effort, the "return" game of that season, Shaw played again. And made 150 odd. They also (somehow) played a guy (Connolly) who played District firsts in QLD and he opened with Shaw. Connolly made a lazy 311. The scorebook was even more hideous. Connolly hit 26 sixes.

Heroes :lol:
Essendunny
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Please explain.
The old EBKCA competition in the '80's was a pretty good standard local comp. The firsts were probably the equivalent of district 4ths (at a guess).

In 1986/87 my club Aberfeldie Park defeated Doutta Stars in the 4th XI Grand Final. Douttas hate losing. They hold grudges. And evoke revenge.

Robert Shaw just finished his district 1st XI career with Essendon that year I believe. He was a pretty good opening bat at that level.

When our 4th XI fronted up against Douttas in 1987/88, non other than Robert Shaw opened the batting for them. Made a "courageous" 202. To put it in perspective, it would have been like a Year 12 student playing against Preps.

I must admit, I laughed my head off when our 4th XI returned to the club that day. The scorebook was littered with boundaries. Bowling figures were totally dis-figured haha.

Not content with that effort, the "return" game of that season, Shaw played again. And made 150 odd. They also (somehow) played a guy (Connolly) who played District firsts in QLD and he opened with Shaw. Connolly made a lazy 311. The scorebook was even more hideous. Connolly hit 26 sixes.

Was in that EBKCA comp & played against Shaw on a few occasions. He was not only a bat but also a handy bowler. As usual that Doutta mob played him out of his proper grade consequently the big scores.

I recall playing against him & Doutta Star's in a final at their home ground which was akin to playing Collingwood at the old Victoria Park ground. Very unfriendly territory for visiting teams. I was batting, been in for about 2 hours & seeing them OK, Shaw was bowling, sent one down the leg side which I tried to glance but edged it on to the pads which Shaw vigorously appealed for LBW, incidentally not supported by the slips cordon which in itself is unusual as that mob appeal for everything. However the umpire gave me out. Outrageous decision. The ump was intimidated by Shaw & the Doutta ferals. The main thing I can recall was Shaw's smirk as I walked off. Not happy.

I saw the ump in earnest conversation with Shaw during the tea break, turns out the ump was a keen Bomber supporter & was taken in by Shaws presence. :oops: :x
Last edited by Ronny Rotten on Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ronny Rotten wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Please explain.

Was in that EBKCA comp & played against Shaw on a few occasions. He was not only a bat but also a handy bowler. As usual that Doutta mob played him out of his proper grade consequently the big scores.

I recall playing against him & Doutta Star's in a final at their home ground which was akin to playing Collingwood at the old Victoria Park ground. Very unfriendly territory for visiting teams. I was batting, been in for about 2 hours & seeing them OK, Shaw was bowling, sent one down the leg side which I tried to glance but edged it on to the pads which Shaw vigorously appealed for LBW, incidentally not supported by the slips cordon which in itself is unusual as that mob appeal for everything. However the umpire gave me out. Outrageous decision. The ump was intimidated by Shaw & the Doutta ferals. The main thing I can recall was Shaw's smirk as I walked off. Not happy.

I saw the ump in earnest conversation with Shaw during the tea break, turns the ump was a keen Bomber supporter & was taken in by Shaws presence. :oops: :x
Who did you play for Ronny?

Oh yeah, playing Douttas at Doutta was hell. Never been engaged in so much incessant gutter sledging anywhere else.
Essendunny
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

BenDoolan wrote:
Ronny Rotten wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Please explain.

I saw the ump in earnest conversation with Shaw during the tea break, turns the ump was a keen Bomber supporter & was taken in by Shaws presence. :oops: :x
Who did you play for Ronny?

Oh yeah, playing Douttas at Doutta was hell. Never been engaged in so much incessant gutter sledging anywhere else.
East Keilor, Ben. Played with Charlie Payne & Jack Mihochek, former Bomber players at various times & against Ronny Andrews & Mark Harvey. I recall seeing Harves play the week after the '85 grand final. Bit of a come down for him, playing the grand final at a packed MCG & the next week playing park cricket at Keilor Park the very next Saturday.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ronny Rotten wrote: East Keilor, Ben. Played with Charlie Payne & Jack Mihochek, former Bomber players at various times & against Ronny Andrews & Mark Harvey. I recall seeing Harves play the week after the '85 grand final. Bit of a come down for him, playing the grand final at a packed MCG & the next week playing park cricket at Keilor Park the very next Saturday.
I reckon we may have crossed paths on the cricket field Ronny. I was going through the grades in the 80's as I emerged from juniors after the 1984/85 season. I played against Charlie Payne in the 3rds in 1986/87 (2nds were washed out). Made my highest score for my club that day. Charlie bowling leggies which I struggled against. And a guy named Peter Brideson had me in all sorts throughout the innings - he bowled absolute corking leg cutters which I never got anywhere near. Apparently, he was an absolute champion first grade bowler in his day. I have no reason to doubt that. I had a bit of success against EK in various grades. That gave me delight as I lived in EK and knew a lot of the players there.

We played against Mark Harvey (but I missed the game). Apparently he was pretty quick.

Ronnie Andrews eh. That would have been an awesome experience!
Essendunny
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

BenDoolan wrote:
Ronny Rotten wrote: East Keilor, Ben. Played with Charlie Payne & Jack Mihochek, former Bomber players at various times & against Ronny Andrews & Mark Harvey. I recall seeing Harves play the week after the '85 grand final. Bit of a come down for him, playing the grand final at a packed MCG & the next week playing park cricket at Keilor Park the very next Saturday.
I reckon we may have crossed paths on the cricket field Ronny. I was going through the grades in the 80's as I emerged from juniors after the 1984/85 season. I played against Charlie Payne in the 3rds in 1986/87 (2nds were washed out). Made my highest score for my club that day. Charlie bowling leggies which I struggled against. And a guy named Peter Brideson had me in all sorts throughout the innings - he bowled absolute corking leg cutters which I never got anywhere near. Apparently, he was an absolute champion first grade bowler in his day. I have no reason to doubt that. I had a bit of success against EK in various grades. That gave me delight as I lived in EK and knew a lot of the players there.

We played against Mark Harvey (but I missed the game). Apparently he was pretty quick.

Ronnie Andrews eh. That would have been an awesome experience!
Yes Ben, we could have possibly crossed paths at some stage during the 80's. I know Brido well, great bowler also a handy footballer, played with Coburg in the VFA, the Bombers wanted him to try out with them but he preferred to stay with his mates at Coburg.

Saw Ronnie Andrews play a smashing innings at Keilor, apparently he had to leave early to attend a wedding. Opened the innings made a quick fire 100+ in about 50 minutes, brutalized the attack in the days before 20/20 cricket.