Gus & Hank belting each other....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Gus & Hank belting each other....

Post by Filthy »

From Jackie M at BB.......good to see....a bit of aggro and both Croweaters!! :D

Boys will be boys!!

"Training in mild conditions at Windy Hill.

Lloydy Fan helped me to prepare this report.

All players present.

Modified Group: Lee, Campo, Dick, Lonegron.

Hird tested by Quinn before training:

Hird spent time with Quinn doing some sort of test during the warm up. Firstly hopping three hops at a time on alternative feet then short sprints from a three point start followed by agility on the ladder on the ground and slalom running through the poles. The ladder and slalom drills also involved some use of the football. I couldn't see any obvious sign of injury. Hird completed about 80% of the training session then left the ground again speaking to Quinn.

Winderlich also had a long conversation with Quinn as the two of them walked a lap of the oval after about 80% of training and Winderlich also left the field with no obvious sign of injury. Johns also left early.

In contrast to onday's "easy" session todays session was much more intense with the coaches bellowing at the players on a number of occassions ande tempers flaring between Monfries and Slattery. The uncontested skills drills went pretty well - practising passing over varying distances and so forth but when defensive pressure was introduced skills sometimes became ragged - especially snapping for goal.

Punishment Run?
At one stage a passing drill was stopped and the coach ordered the entire group to gather in front of the sight screen and split into two groups. One group then ran clockwise around the oval and the other anticlockwise for a lap- and then the drill was resumed. I think this may have been a punishment for the standard of the drill but I am unable to say definitively that this was the case. However when the group was called over Sheedy bellowed "run Hird" and after the run Hird said "We have to lift the standard" which may be an indication that this was a punishment although it could also be a sarcastic remark.

Hands In The Back Rule
In the high marking drill Ayres was emphasising the new rule' "Remember what we spoke about yesterday - use the forearm of the fist" and later to Dyson "Get into the habit of fending off with the forearm."

GOD Unhappy With Contested Marking.
Players contested marks in pairs which was very interesting to watch however GOD was not happy. "How many conteste4d marks do we take in a match? 10. I've just seen three in a row. You're not having a f cking crack bring it to gtround."(GOD swear...NO!!!)

Slattery and Monfries Go At It.
The drill became more aggro and Monfries and Slattery became locked in a wrestle on the ground aftyer a tackle. This extended to some blows being thrown when they stood up while the other players watched. Difficult to determine how serious this was - I suspect that if it was a full blown fight the players would have stepped in but certainly Monfries had an angry look on his face and Slattery did not back off either.

Sheedy urging players on.
In another drill Hille missed a relatively easy snap at goal and Sheedy told him to take his time when shooting and then asked if anyone had called to tell him he was clear and he constantly urged the players to talk.

Conclusions
Training is certainly working up towards a more matchplay oriented style. Players and coaches are a bit aggro and a bit on edge with so many fit players fighting for spots. I think this means they are really bursting to play Carlton in two weeks and despite some raggedness today this is a good sign although I understand Carlton have been similarly aggro - in Ballarat. LOL

Practice match Saturday: I am hearing conflicting reports of the starting time. Some are saying 10 am and others 11.15.
"

Get into 'em Sheeds....I want a team that everyone is scared to play against again. :D :wink:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

That sounds good. But just on the issue of Ayres insisting the players use their forearms instead of their hands to 'hold their ground' and avoid being punished under the James Clement rule, did the new rule specifically rule out punishing a player who uses his forearms instead of his hands? I can't recall, but if it didn't, then wouldn't the umpires probably pay a free kick against a player irrespective of whether he used his hands or his forearms to move a player under the flight of the ball?
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

the reason Angus got into slatts is because Gus walked out front door on his way to training to find a bunch of roses addressed to his girlfriend so he looked at the card and it was from slatts... the rest is history
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

hahaha hilarious, gotta love gus.

i still remeber when mcveigh and gus were literally throwing punches at eachother last year during training and it made the news.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Good to see some venom and aggression. I like it.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I tell you what, I saw Slatts at training last week & he has bulked up a bit in the arms & shoulders since last year. On top of his white line fever, I would be putting my money on Hank, as Gus is really fighting out of his weight division here.

I'm expecting (or hoping?) that Slatts takes Welsh's spot in the BP this year - he certainly doesn' take any crap from anyone, even his own team mates.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

i have noticed some extra thickness in gus too which is good too see.. exciting times ahead in 2007 for both hank and gus im sure
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

CameronClayton wrote: I'm expecting (or hoping?) that Slatts takes Welsh's spot in the BP this year - he certainly doesn' take any crap from anyone, even his own team mates.
Agreed. Has a decent kick, just needs to get his body right.

He does take a fair dose of the angry pills though. While its good in a way, it cost him a week when he tried to knock johncocks head off.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

A push in the back, is a push in the back no matter what part of the body you use.