Solly showing a bit at Freo...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jjono
High Draft Pick

Solly showing a bit at Freo...

Post by jjono »

...according to this report in The West Australian.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... ntID=21490

Be interesting to see if his heart is still in it come the real stuff.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I could bring up the old stories that talked about the imminent and miraculous turnarounds of Ty Zantuck, Richard Cole and Damian Cupido, but I can't be bothered. If Freo are a top 4 team he won't get more than 8-10 games.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Solly is going to have a big one this season because he isnt going to be playing out of position.

Plus is is healthy.

Both of which he wasnt in 2005 and 06.

I was never in favour of trading him unless the price was right. Watch Solly blow up this year and make Essendon look like fools for trading him.

Solly will be playing at a similar weight to that which he played in 2004. When he came 3rd in B&F.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

We're better off without him.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Yeah the photo on the back page of the west today shows he looks pretty fit.

Great to hear that the first bloke he hammered in the tackle was probably the bloke who's position he will be looking to take Des Hedland.

I hope Solly goes well for Freo.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Lol...i just saw the photo too Western Red and I agree with you, Solly is looking primed for a big one. Looking very fit and lean.

Watch out Bombers, Solly is coming...
I could bring up the old stories that talked about the imminent and miraculous turnarounds of Ty Zantuck, Richard Cole and Damian Cupido, but I can't be bothered.
When have any of these players been even half the player that Solly is???
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

He could be as good as Hirdy but at the end of the day we ARE better off without him. He was a great player but his attitude wasn't always crash hot and I don't care if he was in or out of position - he gave away too many STUPID frees.

I really liked Solly and I'd like to see him do well at Freo. I'm not going to wish ill upon him, but I do think letting him go was in the best interest of the EFC.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:I could bring up the old stories that talked about the imminent and miraculous turnarounds of Ty Zantuck, Richard Cole and Damian Cupido, but I can't be bothered. If Freo are a top 4 team he won't get more than 8-10 games.
Understand your point Jim, but I think to put Solomon in the same 'dodgy' class as Zantuck and Cupido is a little bit harsh on Solly.

I don't think his career is at that 'absolute f'n train wreck' stage, and I think he has still got a reasonable chance to save it. I'd put Solomon in the 'M.Pyke & Fevola' category - players who were undisciplined on the field but who were able to successfully turn it around.

Im not necessarily saying that he will turn it around, but to write him off as a Zantuck or Cupido is a bad call.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

All the talk here is Perth is that Solly has put in a huge pre-season and is cherry ripe.

Fremantle are talking about using him as a half forward with the responsibility of keeping the ball in the forward 50.

Now that he won't be expected to play out of position on gorillas 10-20 kg heavier and 5-10cm taller, I think we'll see a version of Solly similar to the one that was running around for us in the glory years.

If he stays injury free, he will play every game and be a key component of the dockers run at the flag.

It's quite clear that they rate him very highly and no doubt they got considerable input from Mark Harvey before they decided to go after him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

As long as he stays injury free, he will play all 22 H&A games for Freo this year.

Don't be surprised to see an all-WA GF this year, & I'm predicting Freo will win it.

I expect a BOG performance for Solly against us when Freo plays us, as none of our blokes will take him on physically - if anyone remembers Merv Neagle's first game against us for the Swans at WH in 1986, you will know what I'm talking about. 2 blokes who left us feeling unappreciated by Sheeds, always want to prove to the club they made a blunder.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

CameronClayton wrote:As long as he stays injury free, he will play all 22 H&A games for Freo this year.

Don't be surprised to see an all-WA GF this year, & I'm predicting Freo will win it.

I expect a BOG performance for Solly against us when Freo plays us, as none of our blokes will take him on physically - if anyone remembers Merv Neagle's first game against us for the Swans at WH in 1986, you will know what I'm talking about. 2 blokes who left us feeling unappreciated by Sheeds, always want to prove to the club they made a blunder.
CC, didn't Neagle simply get seduced by Edelsten's wallet? Looking back, you couldn't say he was starved of opportunities, only that he may have had personality clashes with Sheeds on attitude and the like.....
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Its well and good for him now, hes ripping the training park apart but give him a few months and he will be seen on front page drinking stubbies with Taz and Benny Cousins at some rediculous hour of the morning.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Its all well and good that he has slimmed down, but his knees are shot.
He wont be running off the HBL like he did for us from 99-03. He put on the muscle to play FB because he cant run anymore. He will have a good start to the year then fade out.

I hope he has a great year as he was a favourite of mine, but his best is past him.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

DYSON#2 wrote:Its well and good for him now, hes ripping the training park apart but give him a few months and he will be seen on front page drinking stubbies with Taz and Benny Cousins at some rediculous hour of the morning.
Sorry Benny doesn't drink that much mate he has other preferences!!!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Can't kick straight. Isn't quick. Ill-disiplined. Thinks he's tough, but goes around ironing out blokes likes Des Headland, David Mundy and James Walker, all of whom would be in the bottom 10% of toughest players in the league; his efforts on genuinely tough players like Barry Hall are usually insipid. Knees are shot. Made to look much better than he actually is (or was) by guys like Wellman, Fletcher and Hardwick.

If we want to be a top 8 team, guys like Bolton should never get a game. If Freo want to press for a flag, Solomon shouldn't get too many either.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Western Red wrote:
DYSON#2 wrote:Its well and good for him now, hes ripping the training park apart but give him a few months and he will be seen on front page drinking stubbies with Taz and Benny Cousins at some rediculous hour of the morning.
doing runners from cops?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

DYSON#2 wrote:
Western Red wrote:
doing runners from cops?
Self Raising Flour I think!!
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

giving up solly was the worst idea ever.

we prepared him wrong in the last two pre-seasons by putting extra muscle on him and bothering little with his fitness, we played him in the wrong positions undersized against FULL FOWARDS like Gherig, Fevola and Richo and he wasnt ill-discplined before the nazi's came in and decided that contact sports was unsafe, before all that he was a gun hardnut and enforcer. Now we have a team full fo skinny boys running around looking like they'll get blown away with the wind with only MJ and Mcveigh showing any real grunt about them.

somewhere in either the 03/04 solly played lots of he's best games in the guts,HF and HB, his delivery to forwards were almost second to none, he made it to an amazing amount of contests and crashed every pack with a presence and put goals on the board. He was and was always the first in to stand up for the kids getting pushed around and always the last out, if your calling solly soft then you may aswell call the rest of the team a bunch of fairies.

Solly was more than capable of delivering for us and being a leader of the club it's unfortunate that he was used poorly towards the latter years and became frustrated with this becoming slack and ill-disciplined on and off the field. now he's firing for the enemy and looking set for a big season, worst idea ever.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Michael, Johns, McPhee skinny boys???

Take a closer look my friend.

Solly was past his best. His muscle was his only weapon. Perhaps time will prove the club wrong but I can only imagine the howls of derision had we hung onto him and he never improved. Another Mercuri saga.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Solly a leader of the club????

I'm sorry but that statement is f****** ludricous!!!!

The trip to Japan in the 2004 preseason that the leadership group went on, every single other player told Solly that they were sick and f****** tired of him giving away stupid free kicks and 50m penalties that it cost the team and robbed his team-mates of morale.

Solyl said at the time that this was a real-opener for him and he was really going to harnass his aggressiveness and just go hard at the man with the ball from now one, and cut out the cheap and late hits!!!

What happens 2005 & 2006, same if not worse pissweak, footy.

Solly reminds me off a ling from the usual suspects: "the greatest feat the devil ever achieved was to make the world believe he did exist."

The greatest feat Dean Solomon ever achieved was to make people think he was a hardnut.

An expert at cheap and late shots and bashing blokes 10kg less than himself while never getting within an inch of going at someone his own size or bigger unless it was a cheap or late shot!!!

Piss poor effort from a SENIOR player and just showed he had no desire or right to be consider a LEADER at the club. We had a bunch of young kids out there last year busting there arses off each and everyweek doing everything they could to win us some games and meanwhile you had a bloke like Solly playing shit footy and further hurting the team by still giving away stupid ill-disiplined free kicks and 50s.

No great loss, even if he does recapture his best form, at least Bacher Houli (who we got with one of the picks we got for Solly) has a far better attitude and more potential than Solly ever did!!