Round 2 - Brisbane vs Essendon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Re: Round 2 - Brisbane vs Essendon

Post by Rover99 »

Pitch approaches I guess they mean, Crazyman. I think it was just a case of unfortunate timing. As reported in the news here, re-turfing was necessary due to damage from Adele's concert, just before the start of the season (they would have seen that coming, surely.) As it was, Gillon and J Brown still reckoned it was ready to use for the AFLW GF and Round 1 games but were over-ridden by stadium management on the advice of the curator who said the new turf needed time to settle. Brown claimed the curator had the cricket in November in mind at the expense of important AFL fixtures.
The state govt made a nice gesture here by declaring all public transport, bus and train in SE QLD, would be free for 24 hours to enable fans to make the switch to the G/Coast. :D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rover99 wrote:Pitch approaches I guess they mean, Crazyman. I think it was just a case of unfortunate timing. As reported in the news here, re-turfing was necessary due to damage from Adele's concert, just before the start of the season (they would have seen that coming, surely.) As it was, Gillon and J Brown still reckoned it was ready to use for the AFLW GF and Round 1 games but were over-ridden by stadium management on the advice of the curator who said the new turf needed time to settle. Brown claimed the curator had the cricket in November in mind at the expense of important AFL fixtures.
The state govt made a nice gesture here by declaring all public transport, bus and train in SE QLD, would be free for 24 hours to enable fans to make the switch to the G/Coast. :D
Is the premier able to make flights from Melbourne to Gold Coast free as well?
Essendunny
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

He he, definitely Benny. Torrential rain here today. All schools in S.E. QLD closed for the day and many businesses too for the emergency. Fingers crossed, it will clear away tomorrow morning (Friday). Flooding everywhere now and dams overflowing. Brisbane rain guage on BOM has broken but I'd say 100mm since midnight already
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Ha! All public transport free again today. Public servants sent home and Unis closed. Already had over 100mm this morning and Debbie expected to pass through Brisbane late this arvo and tonight. Forecast up to 500mm at the coast. Will be clear by Friday night though. Happy holidays. :D :D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

**** ! :shock:
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Saturday forecast is 29 and possible showers. It'll be fine, if a little soft. Knees and ankles beware.

I can still picture Moorcroft kicking a goal in the square whilst lying on his back and under water in 2000!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rover99 wrote:No Sismis. The Gabba had to be returfed after Adelle and wasn't suitable to play the Womens GF on last week because of the sensitive new turf. Jonathon Brown was furious at the timing. Gillon McLachlan too apparently. Brown said the curator had his eye on the cricket next November and had put footy on the back burner. There is still a real fear that 200+ml of rain this week might necessitate the same move depending on the condition after the downpour and whether they can keep the important wicket area dry. Sure Metricon would be a mess too and often is but it's all about the long term health of the Gabba turf, not players' safety.
Good news is that the forecast now says big rain tonight and Thursday but clearing Friday afternoon and light showers Saturday so good chance it will be half decent. :D
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/t ... 6fb4241558

They wanted to move it well before turf concerns were raised. But you're right it is f****** wet today and the worst is still to hit so who knows what condition we'll be in.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rover99 wrote:Ha! All public transport free again today. Public servants sent home and Unis closed. Already had over 100mm this morning and Debbie expected to pass through Brisbane late this arvo and tonight. Forecast up to 500mm at the coast. Will be clear by Friday night though. Happy holidays. :D :D
This place is f****** uninhabitable.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Naar Sismiss, that article was all in the minds of the Suns, just lobbying for publicity. They had no plans to move until it was forced on them. Then they had no choice and had to scramble for transport. Fortunately the State Govt came to their rescue. We'll see what happens tonight after Debbie goes through.Will blow out to sea at Midnight they say now. I always marvel about Brisbane with its huge drains after a big storm. Sometimes, the next day, the sun is shining and there isn't even a puddle around. Depends if there's any actual water damage. Wind wont be a problem.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

So the Gabba has been done over by Adele and Debbie.

Etihad is free................
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

hop wrote:So the Gabba has been done over by Adele and Debbie.

Agree!

Move the game and move it now!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

tonysoprano wrote:

Agree!

We play them again later in the year, when the Gabba is free.... just swap and move on (but they wont)
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

Agree!

We play them again later in the year, when the Gabba is free.... just swap and move on (but they wont)
You can all jam it up your arse, I fly out to Brisbane tomorrow morning.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Not much precipitation up in the corporate trough!! :D :D
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Looks like Deb has picked up speed and done a sudden cartwheel out to sea. Predicted "violent last burst" of 200mm tonight won't happen I'd say. Forecast changed to "rain clearing." Lions adamant Saturday will be fine as the Gabba drainage worked well. Get the hair dryers out!! :D :D
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Howlett in for Green seems to be the correct decision based on reports from last week's VFL practice match. Thrilled to have Benny out there this week. I hope the remaining players coming back manage to get on the park at some stage this year. Glad the weather has fined up from earlier reports but still a little nervous going into this one. Hopefully by quarter time they could have settled those nerves for me. See some of you in Brisbane.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

If we want to play finals this year we must win games like this. I think the wet actually suits us, we have big bodied players on the inside and plenty of speed on the outside. Daniher and McKernan are quite nimble for their size and Hooker will bring the ball to the ground for Fantasia & Walla.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nudder12 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
JP_40 wrote:Is Gleeson injured or just personal opinion Gimps? I am warming to him so far this pre season and first match.
Yeah I didn't think Gleeson was that bad Saturday.
Langford and Gleeson out for mine.
Didn't think Gleeson did much against the Hawks. More to the point, I simply think Dea is better.
Gleeson was great. How did his opponent go?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
nudder12 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
JP_40 wrote:Is Gleeson injured or just personal opinion Gimps? I am warming to him so far this pre season and first match.
Didn't think Gleeson did much against the Hawks. More to the point, I simply think Dea is better.
Great?? You only gave him a special mention (with 2 others) - after the returning 6. A total of 9 votes (almost half the team) for just 5 positions!!
Anyway, I didn't say his opponent did much either - though you may like to review the game and you'll see Puopolo was barely given a sniff by his team-mates so Marty didn't actually have to do much. Even if Marty did "stop" his opponent, purely being a "stopper" isn't enough these days. Marty is OK when he has space and time, but in traffic he often gets caught or makes dubious decisions or can't stick tackles. As I said, I simply think Dea is a better option - cooler, more assured, and isn't pushed around.
Sorry, sounds argumentative I know, but I'm just thinking about our best possible side, and whether he was OK or not, I reckon Dea gives us more.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

nudder12 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
nudder12 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
Great?? You only gave him a special mention (with 2 others) - after the returning 6. A total of 9 votes (almost half the team) for just 5 positions!!
Anyway, I didn't say his opponent did much either - though you may like to review the game and you'll see Puopolo was barely given a sniff by his team-mates so Marty didn't actually have to do much. Even if Marty did "stop" his opponent, purely being a "stopper" isn't enough these days. Marty is OK when he has space and time, but in traffic he often gets caught or makes dubious decisions or can't stick tackles. As I said, I simply think Dea is a better option - cooler, more assured, and isn't pushed around.
Sorry, sounds argumentative I know, but I'm just thinking about our best possible side, and whether he was OK or not, I reckon Dea gives us more.
No place for logic or reason in here Nudder!

Stick to your guns man - don't be brow beaten by Windy!!!
If you think Skinny Gleeson is a dud - then so be it!!

I happen to agree on last week's performance - Langford was also lucky to get a reprieve for this week.
And Zaharakis will need to start more strongly too - especially as he is experienced and didn't miss last year.

Pressure for spots - that's what we want and what will improve us.

Just win today and we can reset for next week.

One week at a time my friends.......
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.