Rate These Players out of 10

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Rate These Players out of 10

Post by Windy_Hill »

In terms of there quality, effectiveness and real value based on the performances to date (not potential).. What can these guys really add to the mix. Are they walk up starts in other clubs. Rate them out of 10 honestly and objectively. I think you will agree that the list is still far from rosy.

If Lucas & Lloyd are a 9, Hird an 8.5, Fletcher an 8 and McPhee a 7.5, that should give you a benchmarl from which to work

Peverill - Honest, hard toiling, average - 5.5
Heffernan - Never been the same player he was in 99/200 - 4.5
Bolton - useful back up when other players injured - 4.5
Welsh - uncertain, poor decision maker, average - 4.5
Winderlich - running out of time - must come good or else - 5.5
Campo (was good once) - past his best - 4
NLM - best of a bad lot - 6
Lovett - temperament and consistency issues - 5.5
Nash - Nothing to really say - 3.5
Lee - Needs to show something - 4
Bradley - Over rated, another wasted Top 10 pick - 5
Slattery - Injury and yet to break out - 5
Dyson - Always big wraps but rarely has he truly delivered - 5.5
Cole - Done nothing to suggest he will make it - 3.5

Its not a good score sheet from a bunch of players who fill positions 18 -32 on our list.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Re: Rate These Players out of 10

Post by gottalovett »

Windy_Hill wrote:In terms of there quality, effectiveness and real value based on the performances to date (not potential).. What can these guys really add to the mix. Are they walk up starts in other clubs. Rate them out of 10 honestly and objectively. I think you will agree that the list is still far from rosy.

If Lucas & Lloyd are a 9, Hird an 8.5, Fletcher an 8 and McPhee a 7.5, that should give you a benchmarl from which to work

Peverill - Honest, hard toiling, average - 5.5

Its not a good score sheet from a bunch of players who fill positions 18 -32 on our list.
how can you posibly say that lovett only has a score of 5.5 and is behind NLM! he has been one of our few shining lights these last couple of years after coming off the rookie list and is definitely in our top 10 players. Also how can mcphee get a 7.5 after the two years he has produced(making bad desicions, mistiming jumps, and turning the ball over at will), at his best he is a great player but he has not been showing evidence of that, most of the players on the list are also young and will have a good career. so don't start a stupid thread just for the sake of it.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Peverill: 4 - tries hard, nothing more than a depth player
Heffernan: 2 - Useless, cant understand why we bothered picking him up. Couldnt get a game at melbourne when they finished 14th
Bolton: Not much to right home about - 4
Welsh: Gone backwards very quickly. Poor disposal, worse decision making and just kicks sideways- 4
Winderlich: 4 -Last chance. Obsessed with bumping, how about f****** tackling for once?
Campo: 2 - waste
NLM: Tries hard but can not play KPP (please!) Poor disposal - 6
Lovett: What we need, got pace and skill 6.5
Nash: N/A - Been injured
Lee: See Nash
Bradley: waste of a top ten pick, quickly turning into Henneman - 3
Slattery: 5 - Injury has hurt him so far, but will be good
Dyson: 6 - Got pace and skill, just needs more freedom or confidence to use it
Cole: N/A - Played 3 games and was overweight, hard to judge
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

Rossoneri wrote:Peverill: 4 - tries hard, nothing more than a depth player
Heffernan: 2 - Useless, cant understand why we bothered picking him up. Couldnt get a game at melbourne when they finished 14th
Bolton: Not much to right home about - 4
Welsh: Gone backwards very quickly. Poor disposal, worse decision making and just kicks sideways- 4
Winderlich: 4 -Last chance. Obsessed with bumping, how about f****** tackling for once?
Campo: 2 - waste
NLM: Tries hard but can not play KPP (please!) Poor disposal - 6
Lovett: What we need, got pace and skill 6.5
Nash: N/A - Been injured
Lee: See Nash
Bradley: waste of a top ten pick, quickly turning into Henneman - 3
Slattery: 5 - Injury has hurt him so far, but will be good
Dyson: 6 - Got pace and skill, just needs more freedom or confidence to use it
Cole: N/A - Played 3 games and was overweight, hard to judge
hooray finally someone agrees with me, try telling that to the dickheads over at bigfooty, i just had a big argument with them yesterday.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Bigfooty is full of f****** morons and trolls. If you want to talk about football and other sports, either post on here or head to Bomberblitz (just dont start meaningless threads when you just start)
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

gottalovett wrote:don't start a stupid thread just for the sake of it.
Its not stupid- I think we are carrying some very average players. Dont respond if its meaningless.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

no we are carrying a lot of players who didn't preform to their best last year
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Peverill - 6
Heffernan - 6
Bolton - 5
Welsh - 7
Winderlich - 5
Campo (was good once) - 4
NLM - 1
Lovett - 6
Nash - 4
Lee - 4
Bradley - 6
Slattery -3
Dyson - 7
Cole - 4
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I know you don't rate NLM (and this is your right) but 1 is fairly ridiculous. NLM was quite good last year and at least as good as Winderlich IMHO.
Red and Black Forever
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Peverill- 4, Tries hard but has dropped off.

Heffernan- 5.5, Has the skill but has struggled to be consistent.

Bolton- 3. Why is he getting a game?

Welsh- 3.5, Can't kick and always puts teammates under pressure.

Winderlich- 5, Did well before injury last year.

Campo- 5, He has some pace which helps him get the ball, his disposal isn't what it was.

NLM- 6, Very good running off halfback.

Lovett- 6.5, A goalsneak who has not yet shown his best. Will have a big year in '07.

Nash- Hard to tell.

Lee- Hard to tell.

Bradley- 4, Needs to find his position within the team.

Slattery- 4, Can never string games together.

Dyson- 5, Has the skill and pace but yet to put it together.

Cole- Has only played a few games.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Peverill- 4. Still gets in and under but he really needs to step it up another notch this year or else he could be on the chopping block. I hope not he has been a good player.
Heffernan- 4. He is still capable of being a 20-25 possesion getter but isn't consistently good. Hope to see him have a good year.
Bolton-3. He is always criticized and fairly so but I think his errors are more noted rather than his good playes which is a shame. I hope for his sake he can show all the supporters why the the coach have faith in him.
Welsh-4. Didn't really have an oustanding 2006 but he can take a small forward and do well. You probably can't base comparisons from last year because it was a terrible year for all maybe except Lucas.
Winderlich- 6 I think he's finally made his mark in our midfield and looks to be a promising player for the future. I think he will be a dramatic improvement this year.
Camporeale-3. All I can remember from last year was that game where he kept turning the ball over then he kicked the ball near the boundary line and kicked it off the side of his boot into the 2nd teer. All I can say is lets just see hwo this year goes.
Lovett-4. Still has more potential but he needs to tone down his off field issues and get his head straight again and get back to the Anzac Day form because he can be a match winner.
Nash- Haven't seen him play much hard to give an opinion
Lee- Same but looks to be a courageous young player.
Slattery-6. Love his toughness and physicality for the ball. We have a lot of good in and under players at our club. I think Sheeds is the reason.
Dyson-8. Love watching this guy play. Nothing is better than watching him boot a long raking left foot goal beyond the 50m. Monfries, Stanton, Dyson, Slattery, Winderlich and Watson are our future midfield.
Cole- Dunno bout him yet. Played ok last week in Darwin but need to see how he goes.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

JumboPaddy wrote:Peverill- 4. Still gets in and under but he really needs to step it up another notch this year or else he could be on the chopping block. I hope not he has been a good player.
Heffernan- 4. He is still capable of being a 20-25 possesion getter but isn't consistently good. Hope to see him have a good year.
Bolton-3. He is always criticized and fairly so but I think his errors are more noted rather than his good playes which is a shame. I hope for his sake he can show all the supporters why the the coach have faith in him.
Welsh-4. Didn't really have an oustanding 2006 but he can take a small forward and do well. You probably can't base comparisons from last year because it was a terrible year for all maybe except Lucas.
Winderlich- 6 I think he's finally made his mark in our midfield and looks to be a promising player for the future. I think he will be a dramatic improvement this year.
Camporeale-3. All I can remember from last year was that game where
he kept turning the ball over then he kicked the ball near the boundary line and kicked it off the side of his boot into the 2nd teer. All I can say is lets just see hwo this year goes.
Lovett-4. Still has more potential but he needs to tone down his off field issues and get his head straight again and get back to the Anzac Day form because he can be a match winner.
Slattery-6. Love his toughness and physicality for the ball. We have a lot of good in and under players at our club. I think Sheeds is the reason.
Dyson-8. Love watching this guy play. Nothing is better than watching him boot a long raking left foot goal beyond the 50m. Monfries, Stanton, Dyson, Slattery, Winderlich and Watson are our future midfield.
Cole- Dunno bout him yet. Played ok last week in Darwin but need to see how he goes.
so what you're basically saying is that you rate dyson higher than mcphee who was a 7.5 in the first post, and you also rate slattery ahead of lovett!! i mean c'mon what has slattery ever done to deserve a higher rating than lovett
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Windy_Hill wrote: Peverill - Honest, hard toiling, average - 5.5
Winderlich, Nash, Lee, Bradley, Slattery, Dyson

All deserve more time. Particularly Bradley who is a young tall. I've said it before but it seems to fall on deaf ears. It's the mid-tier players that are letting us down, not the kids.

Rate these guys again in two seasons or do some comparison against their peers (not against three blokes that have been in the system for 15 odd years and are proven champions).

Personally, I think four of the above six that I have mentioned will go onto be better than average footballers and I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

All deserve more time. Particularly Bradley who is a young tall. I've said it before but it seems to fall on deaf ears. It's the mid-tier players that are letting us down, not the kids.
Bradley has had plenty of time. I tired of hearing KB is too young, or hasnt played enough games so u cant comment. BS. KB has shown nothing, and its little wonder why ppl are thinking it will be another waste of a high draft pick.

Rate these guys again in two seasons or do some comparison against their peers (not against three blokes that have been in the system for 15 odd years and are proven champions).
WCE - Hansen
St Kilda - Maguire
Carlton - Waite
Hawks - Franklin & Roughhead
Freo - Johnson, Murphy
Essendon - Johns

I cant think of anymore off the top of my head. But these guys are all about the same age as KB. And have all showed more MUCH more than him. How many seasons does he need? 8? 9? 10?
I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley.
This is arguably the dumbest thing ive heard here. Its right up there with Reynolds will be the Dons next Brownlow medalist. Get off the drugs buddy...
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Peverill - Honest, hard toiling, average - 5.5 - Agree

Heffernan - Never been the same player he was in 99/200 - 4.5 - i"d rate him as effective 5- 5.5

Bolton - useful back up when other players injured - 4.5 - agree

Welsh - uncertain, poor decision maker, average - 4.5 - I rate him as effective in his role 5.5

Winderlich - running out of time - must come good or else - 5.5 - agree, showed a lot last year could kick on.

Campo (was good once) - past his best - 4 - One of our more effective players last year. Clean delivery. 6
NLM - best of a bad lot - 6. One of our most important players. Holds down a defensive role and adds pace through the midfield 7.5

Lovett - temperament and consistency issues - 5.5 - even woth issues, still a genuine match winner 7.5

Nash - Nothing to really say - 3.5 -good signs not wenough opportunity
Lee - Needs to show something - 4 same
Bradley - Over rated, another wasted Top 10 pick - 5 - Is a develeoping tall. When will people learn they take longer to develop?

Slattery - Injury and yet to break out - 5 -agree
Dyson - Always big wraps but rarely has he truly delivered - 5.5 -agree lacks consistancy
Cole - Done nothing to suggest he will make it - 3.5 - agree
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Wow, DC, I've never really expected that kind of sh*t on this forum except when it was directed at Bluey. Relax...

All accounts are that KB is tearing up the training track and enjoying his change in role afforded by the presence of Michael.

Do me a favour, and rate Bradley (and his 50 senior AFL games) out of ten against all the other players over 195cm who joined the league in his draft or later. That, and nothing else, will give an accurate picture of how he is coming along. On the basis of that comparison he is in the top 5 talls for his age in the league. If he is still top 5 for his age at 26/27/28 he will likely secure an All-Australian spot. 5 years is a long time in footy.

Comparing him to Lucas, Lloyd and Hird at this stage of his career is a joke and I hope that we afford Ryder and Gumbles a little more leniancy. Also, calling him a waste of a top ten pick is a big call when you look at that draft. It was a real lottery.

IF we had some decent 23-28 year old talls to fill CHB in this club (i.e. the position Henneman was supposed to fill) then Bradley wouldn't have been exposed to senior footy's challenges so early and the short-sighted fans among us wouldn't be calling for his head. Had he have come into the system in 99 instead of 03 we would be raving about him.

I find it AMAZING that people bag Kepler ahead of Jason Laycock (who has had an extra year in the system). What has he done except show a bit of potential and throw his name out for trade bait?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

andrewb wrote: I find it AMAZING that people bag Kepler ahead of Jason Laycock (who has had an extra year in the system). What has he done except show a bit of potential and throw his name out for trade bait?
You are right - Laycock has done nothing as well but has injuries as an excuse. I am over waiting for injury prone players to come good.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Peverill - 4
Heffernan - 5
Bolton - 3
Welsh - 5
Winderlich - 5
Campo - 5
NLM - 6
Lovett - 5-7 depending on whether he puts the effort in or not
Nash - 5 although only played a few
Lee - 5 (how can you really tell, only played a few games, often on pine)
Bradley - 4
Slattery -5
Dyson - 7
Cole - 5
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Rating at essendon
Peverill - 6
Heffernan - 1
Bolton - 3
Welsh - 5.5
Winderlich - 4.5
Campo - 4.5
NLM - 7
Lovett - 5.5
Nash - 5
Lee - 3
Bradley 4
Slattery 5.5
Dyson - 5
Cole - 5.5
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

gottalovett wrote:
JumboPaddy wrote:Peverill- 4. Still gets in and under but he really needs to step it up another notch this year or else he could be on the chopping block. I hope not he has been a good player.
Camporeale-3. All I can remember from last year was that game where
he kept turning the ball over then he kicked the ball near the boundary line and kicked it off the side of his boot into the 2nd teer. All I can say is lets just see hwo this year goes.
so what you're basically saying is that you rate dyson higher than mcphee who was a 7.5 in the first post, and you also rate slattery ahead of lovett!! i mean c'mon what has slattery ever done to deserve a higher rating than lovett
True on McPhee, sorry I didn't see that :wink: dyson then a 6. Slattery is still young and shows a lot of potential and the more games he gets the more he will improve so he deserves it. Lovett is a fantastic player but I am just waiting to see how he goes this year and where his heads at. That's all. If he blows each team away then my opinion will change. So lets just see.
Last edited by paddyl90 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.