Andrew McGrath - Winner of the Rising Star!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Andrew McGrath

Post by F111 »

Gimps wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:53 pm Just throws his body at it every bloody time. Keep going!
This might seem a strange comparo, but I think he plays like McKenna, or vice versa. The difference is McG knows the game and it shows.
They both run quickly, breaking the lines and have an excellent change of direction. They both follow up, they both block & tackle. McG doesn't make novice mistakes like McK might, and he doesn't have the body strength that I suspect McK has. McG is more instinctive, as you'd expect having played the game longer.
I hope that McK continues on with his current one game good form, because if he can his potential is enormous.
It might allow McG into the midfield sooner than expected whilst maintaining back half pressure and run.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

F111 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 pm
Gimps wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:53 pm Just throws his body at it every bloody time. Keep going!
This might seem a strange comparo, but I think he plays like McKenna, or vice versa. The difference is McG knows the game and it shows.
They both run quickly, breaking the lines and have an excellent change of direction. They both follow up, they both block & tackle. McG doesn't make novice mistakes like McK might, and he doesn't have the body strength that I suspect McK has. McG is more instinctive, as you'd expect having played the game longer.
I hope that McK continues on with his current one game good form, because if he can his potential is enormous.
It might allow McG into the midfield sooner than expected whilst maintaining back half pressure and run.
Don't insult the kid.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Hope both these boys turn out great.Comparisons can come later,when their careers are over.

From a couple if generations past,Everyone lauded Hirdy.

But how close in Class were Champs like Michael Long,Mark Mercuri and Joe Misiti?

And Premiership Heroes at that.Hoping our Current Generation can grab their chance at Glory and Fame,to Win A Premiership Flag!

Excuse the Club Song Lyrics being slightly adjusted in order.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

McGrath played well again last night. Calm, efficient, sticks to his task. He was following Caddy early and had to adjust as Caddy got his hands on it, but in the face of constant pressure his overall game was good I thought. McK wasn't too far behind either. :wink:
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Saw a SEN tweet yesterday about Terry Wallace being astounded Ryan Burton isn't the favourite for the Rising Star award. Nice little reminder from Andy as to why that is the case.

I cannot fathom how Terry Wallace has been allow to garner this bullshit "List Manager" media persona. I mean he failed at the Bulldogs and then failed even harder at the Tigers. I mean Deledio and Tambling over Roughead and Franklin, Fiora over Pavlich, Jarred Oakley-Nicholls over anyone else.

Bloke is a mammoth flog and should be banned from talking about young talent let alone be passed of as some expert in picking it.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

ealesy wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 pm Saw a SEN tweet yesterday about Terry Wallace being astounded Ryan Burton isn't the favourite for the Rising Star award. Nice little reminder from Andy as to why that is the case.

I cannot fathom how Terry Wallace has been allow to garner this bullshit "List Manager" media persona. I mean he failed at the Bulldogs and then failed even harder at the Tigers. I mean Deledio and Tambling over Roughead and Franklin, Fiora over Pavlich, Jarred Oakley-Nicholls over anyone else.

Bloke is a mammoth flog and should be banned from talking about young talent let alone be passed of as some expert in picking it.
Well McGrath isn't likely to get a vote from Mclachlan ... who can forget that the CEO of the AFL couldn't give Parish a vote last year as he "hadn't seen him in play any matches".
Given how Lewis Taylor, Mills, Palmer, Rich and O'Meara are working out ... I'm not sure its such a great predictor of "stardom".
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

ealesy wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 pm Saw a SEN tweet yesterday about Terry Wallace being astounded Ryan Burton isn't the favourite for the Rising Star award. Nice little reminder from Andy as to why that is the case.

While I agree with you on most of what you have said, you can't blame Wallace on the Fiora over Pav one, he was still coaching the Dogs when that happened.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He would have been close to our best in the second half.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ealesy wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 pm I cannot fathom how Terry Wallace has been allow to garner this bullshit "List Manager" media persona. I mean he failed at the Bulldogs and then failed even harder at the Tigers. I mean Deledio and Tambling over Roughead and Franklin, Fiora over Pavlich, Jarred Oakley-Nicholls over anyone else.

Completely agree, it's ridiculous.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Any back to Andy McGrath, hope we start using him in the guts at times during the 2nd half of the season.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Meanwhile back at the Ranch

Francis is a slow boat to China
Laverde is a physical basket case
Langford has gone backwards
Redman has disappeared
Morgan has hamstrings made of tissue paper

Lets thank the Almighty for Andy McGrath

Making up for Shit Draftees since 2017
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

This bloke will end up in our midfield and why wouldn't he. Quick, good composure and slick delivery. Actually, currently, a whole lot better disposal than some of our stars who are still a bit rusty and up and down with the pace of the game.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 11:53 pm Meanwhile back at the Ranch

Redman has disappeared

You are seriously criticizing our recruitment?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Sismis wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:26 am

Redman has disappeared

It's Windy - Are you seriously asking this question? :lol:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Redman has disappeared

Yeah, because all of the players listed have done so much. Listen, Francis may come good but he is now 1 and a half years into his AFL career and cant get his endurance up to professional levels. Nevertheless I am a big fan of what he can do when he is on the ground - its just he cant get on the ground.

Laverde is much the same as Francis.

Langford in my opinion looks like we may have fired a blank and the other two lads are unlikely to have their contracts renewed.

No I am not criticising the recruiting and I dont know why you would think I was. What I am simply pointing out is how lucky we are to have a kid like McGrath who in many ways has made up for the disappointment with some of the other boys.

Geez dont go twisting shit just to cause a stir. Read what I wrote - making up for shit draftees - not shit drafting
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Crazyman wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:52 am

Redman has disappeared

It's Windy - Are you seriously asking this question? :lol:
Crazy - contribute or shut up
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Windy_Hill wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:58 pm Geez dont go twisting shit just to cause a stir. Read what I wrote - making up for shit draftees - not shit drafting
:lol:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am
Windy_Hill wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:58 pm Geez dont go twisting shit just to cause a stir. Read what I wrote - making up for shit draftees - not shit drafting
Concur.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:45 pm
Sismis wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am
Concur.
Well I am glad we are all in agreement then
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

A good endorsement...
Essendon defender Andrew McGrath doesn't seem bothere with the pressure normally attached to being the No.1 pick in the NAB AFL Draft, says teammate James Kelly.

Kelly told the AFL Exchange podcast that the 19-year-old's efforts in his first year showed an unflappable character and the former Cat was a big McGrath fan.

"He just has a really composed, calm nature about him and that comes out in the way he plays footy," Kelly told AFL.com.au.

"He very rarely looks pressured, but that is just who he is."

McGrath is the first No.1 pick Kelly has lined up alongside in his illustrious career that has seen him play in three flags with Geelong before reaching 300 games this season when playing with the Bombers.

The veteran said McGrath just took being the top pick in his stride.

"It just doesn't bother him," Kelly said.

"He just plays footy and does what he does."

McGrath has played 15 games this season and is one of three potential NAB Rising Star winners alongside Hawthorn's Ryan Burton and Port Adelaide's Sam Powell-Pepper.

Kelly said the most impressive aspect of McGrath was his ability to put into practice what he was taught.

"The thing as a senior player that you like about him is that if you have feedback for him [and] you tell him, [then] the next time he is in that situation he has fixed it up and done what he needs to do straight away," Kelly said.

"Hopefully soon he'll push up on to the wing and into the midfield as he gets a bit stronger."
Essendunny