Owned by Carlton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Owned by Carlton

Post by DC »

How embarrassing, to get owned by Carlton. Sure it was only 3 pts in the end, but they were the better team for most of the night.

There were some bad decisions paid, but Essendon were pretty woeful. Still cant hit targets, still cant kick straight, still arent getting numbers to the ball consistantly(Blues were though).

Considering the boys were fired up to win because it was important to start the season off with a win to get that winning spirit back the Bombers played like dogs.

Midfield still a HUGE concern, Carlton smashed us in there.
Delivery into forward line still as horrible as ever.
Dumb turnovers costing us goals.

Just very disappointing.

If you cant beat Carlton then who can you beat? We were at almost full strength and still lost?! Not good. Not good at all.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Its mental.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Midfield is a problem, but its a simple problem.

Its not speed, or marking, or manning up. Its the f****** handballs and the overuse of them. Jesus christ, if Lloyd is one on one against an Irishman, then kick it to him quickly. Not that hard to kick the ball, been doing it since you were 5 years old.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

midfeild was average, watson played a great game for us, but still is a hack of a kick.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Midfield had the right idea but skills were extremely poor.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

^ the midfield has been a problem for so long youv'e just gotta laugh. I mean what role do any of the midfielders have? It seems that get sent on and just run around like headless chooks, no cohesion, no game plan, no nothing. Surely after a certain amount of time it would work itself out, surely......
Oh shit, its been 4 years and im still waiting.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Got smashed in the ruck and clearances. We were starting to get that right towards the end of last year.
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

If only we would man up in the midfield clearences we could at least make a contest & give ourselves a 50% chance of getting the ball
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

No team that I've seen this year in the pre-season has season like skills. I missed the Geelong vs Richmond game but the rest every team is still rusty. Just have to hang out to Round 1.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Maybe the football world (and us here on bomber talk) just have to accept that Carlton may not be the worst team going around anymore. They like us can only go up and their young guys look very promising as did the inclusion of Cameron Cloke.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Maybe the football world (and us here on bomber talk) just have to accept that Carlton may not be the worst team going around anymore. They like us can only go up and their young guys look very promising as did the inclusion of Cameron Cloke.
Yeas that's right...WE ARE!

As for Cam Cloke........sheesh, he is junk.
DONISBEST
Top Up Player

Post by DONISBEST »

The biggest problems at Essendon are:
1: Can't kick goals when on the run or set shots.
2: Manning up opponants (all over the ground).
3: Unwilling to man-up opponants who run chip and pass around boundary area prefer to spectate from middle of ground.

Midfield problem...failure to read the play, don't expect your ruck to tap it to you, man up and tackle your direct opponant if he wins the ball before you or other Essendon player does.
Too many Essendon players running in direction of ball instead of manning up in hit outs, leaving opponents to switch direction and be free to run ball out of centre bounces. Player with ball
gets tackled by 2 or 3 Essendon players ball spills out oppostion pick it up and are away with loose players everywhere.

Forward line, probably most talented in game but can' t get ball through the worst delivery of any team in comp. Lloyd, Lucas, Johns and Hird.

Tackling non-existant excepting young Davies and
Houli. Opponants brush past our players to easily
going in wrong direction????

Defenders must play in front of their opponant from now on to avoid hand in back free kicks ala
Fevola's frees as interpreted by the umpires.

Oh yes umpires they will edudicate push in back frees as per rule of law, regardless of common sense.

ps: A lot of new gifted young talent at Essendon, be patient.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:Maybe the football world (and us here on bomber talk) just have to accept that Carlton may not be the worst team going around anymore. They like us can only go up and their young guys look very promising as did the inclusion of Cameron Cloke.
Yeas that's right...WE ARE!

As for Cam Cloke........sheesh, he is junk.
He might have been junk in front of goal but he definately played better than Hille and Laycock on sat night.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Being overseas at the moment, didn't see the game at all, but judging by the comments here from you guys, it seems like there are two conclusions:

(1) SAME OLD PROBLEMS
Delivery into the forward line, missed shots at goal, overuse of handball etc.

(2) WE JUST CAN'T BEAT CARLTON
What is it with Carlton? Ever since that terrible day in 1999, we just can't beat them.

Neither of these conclusions fill me with optimism. I hope things get better from here, or it's going to be a VERY LONG season!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

We beat them by 99 points in 2005.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

2000: Rnd 5: Beat Carlscum by 24
2000: Rnd 20: Beat Carlscum by 26
2000: PF: Beat Carlscum by 45
2002: Rnd 7: Beat Carlscum by 25
2002: Rnd 22: Beat Carlscum by 55
2003: Rnd 18: Beat Carlscum by 34
2004: Rnd 4: Beat Carlscum by 37
2005: Rnd 21: Beat Carlscum by 99
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Okay, looks like I'm wrong.
It just FEELS like they always beat us!
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

They've been the underdogs(ie. crap) on all occasions, so we expect to win every encounter making any loss stand out & f'n annoying. Especially the '01,'03,'04 losses when we should've wiped the floor with them.

Post '99, we've played them 17 times.
H&A: 7 wins. 1 draw. 6 losses.
Finals: 1 win
Pre-season: 2 losses
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Royza. We should wipe the floor with them but we don't, which is so irritating!!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

billyduckworth wrote:I think you have hit the nail on the head, Royza. We should wipe the floor with them but we don't, which is so irritating!!
I reckon we will kill them in round 3, which is weird because im usually im pessimistic.

Why you ask?

Because my 1st cousin is getting married, and I cant miss the wedding.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!