26 years?!?!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
serkan
Top Up Player

26 years?!?!

Post by serkan »

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't 26 years a little too long for the essendon coach (I think Kevin Sheedy), to have coached for, maybe its AFL and soccer is different but I'm use to seeing different coaches every 4 to 5 years.

Even the coach (Erdal Gunes) for the Turkish national side that took Turkey to 3rd in the 2002 world cup was replaced the following year because he was underperforming.

Its not about what he did in the past, Its about what he is doing now and to my understanding, he was "outcoached" yesterday.

I've done a little research and found that the most successful sides of the 2006 season have changed their coaches regularly such as;

Adelaide: Neil Craig came to the club in the year 2004
Fremantle: Chris Connoly, 2002 he came in
Sydney: Paul Roos came in 2002
West Coast: John Worsfold also was in 2002

Maybe I might be leaving out some key factors but come on, 26 years is a little too long.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Alex Ferguson from MUFC rings a bell... started coaching there in 86. He was written off a couple of years ago but those guys are doing ok now :).

Coach K has been the head coach of Duke's basketball program in the NCAA since 1980. He, like sheedy, has won four "premerships" in that time.

Age / tenure has nothing to do with it. A good coach gets the best possible results out of the players he/she has to work with. Sheedy's contract gets renewed at the end of this season. Traditionally, he's always performed when under the pump. It would be a brave man who'd bet against that happening again.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Is that Borat coming to us from Istanbul
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Age or length has nothing to do with it, its just when you start getting out coached by younger coaches, your methods are out-dated and you have forgotten what a game plan looks like.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

andrewb wrote:Alex Ferguson from MUFC rings a bell... started coaching there in 86. He was written off a couple of years ago but those guys are doing ok now :).

Coach K has been the head coach of Duke's basketball program in the NCAA since 1980. He, like sheedy, has won four "premerships" in that time.

Age / tenure has nothing to do with it. A good coach gets the best possible results out of the players he/she has to work with. Sheedy's contract gets renewed at the end of this season. Traditionally, he's always performed when under the pump. It would be a brave man who'd bet against that happening again.
Oh, so this guy is well respected in the AFL world, I see. Sorry for the waste of space then
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Is that Borat coming to us from Istanbul
Borat is from Kazakhstan, Istanbul is in Turkey...
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

26 Years... and still a legend.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Coach K is still the coach of the national team as well, don't forget that.

You can't buy 26 years of experience.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: 26 years?!?!

Post by dom_105 »

serkan wrote: Even the coach (Erdal Gunes) for the Turkish national side that took Turkey to 3rd in the 2002 world cup was replaced the following year because he was underperforming.
You would of course be refering to Şenol Güneş
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

dom_105 wrote:Coach K is still the coach of the national team as well, don't forget that.

You can't buy 26 years of experience.
I agree, don't write off the great man just yet.... :)
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

dom_105 wrote:
serkan wrote: Even the coach (Erdal Gunes) for the Turkish national side that took Turkey to 3rd in the 2002 world cup was replaced the following year because he was underperforming.
I was also doing some research on our 2nd president's son, Erdal İnönü at the time so I must of got them mixed up
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

serkan wrote:
dom_105 wrote:
I was also doing some research on our 2nd president's son, Erdal İnönü at the time so I must of got them mixed up
Hmm sure you were. :wink:
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

May I remark at your fantastic English for someone from Instanbul, with even a classic 'forgive me if I'm wrong' thrown in. Doing a great job mate, you could be mistake as an Aussie.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Gossy wrote:May I remark at your fantastic English for someone from Instanbul, with even a classic 'forgive me if I'm wrong' thrown in. Doing a great job mate, you could be mistake as an Aussie.
I'll bet you 50 New Turkish Lira that he has had professional tutoriage in the Australian-English language.....
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

Gossy wrote:May I remark at your fantastic English for someone from Instanbul, with even a classic 'forgive me if I'm wrong' thrown in. Doing a great job mate, you could be mistake as an Aussie.
Is that meant to mean something? Apparently being Turkish means that your uneducated.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

No I think it means your full of crap sometimes. :)
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

serkan wrote:
Is that meant to mean something? Apparently being Turkish means that your uneducated.
I took it as to mean that you were so involved in your studies that you managed to mix up Şenol Güneş, "one of the most famous Turkish footballers of all time" and Erdal İnönü, a politician and physicist of some note.

Akin to mixing up Steve Bracks with Steve Waugh.

Quite easy to do, I've done it myself.....
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

If I have done something wrong (apart from the bluey accident, Which I think Gossy has let me off on), then you can simply delete my account.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

serkan wrote:If I have done something wrong (apart from the bluey accident, Which I think Gossy has let me off on), then you can simply delete my account.
No one is suggesting that you have done anything wrong.... We are just taking the piss.

Must have been lost in translation. :?
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

Taking the piss? Sorry I'm not 100 percent sure on that one.