Striving for Glory & Fame

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Striving for Glory & Fame

Post by BenDoolan »

From the plane wreck that was 2016 (and the 4 years preceding it), our club has gone from being critically wounded to a strong and healthy entity in only 2 years. We've been through a lot. Not just thinking of ourselves as supporters and members, but everyone within the club was under he most intense scrutiny, ridicule and criticism from the sporting community. Jobs were lost, player's careers and health were badly affected, and the club suffered massive punishments. There's probably a lot more underlying suffering that we don't even know about.

But looking at where we are today, I am just (and I haven't said this for a very long time) proud of what our club is achieving. It hasn't achieved anything on the field yet (we all know that), but looking at the environment it is creating to give itself the best opportunity to do so is remarkable.

I dips my lid to Xavier Campbell. A tough gig to step into the CEO role while the club was getting hammered legally and publicly. From the depths of despair when Hird had to resign, he has gone about getting the best possible people into our club. Woosha was a great appointment from the perspective that he was the perfect man for the job at that point in time - a father figure, a thinker, a calm reasoner. It's what the playing group needed - especially those who were caught up in the saga.

The membership numbers are fantastic. Participating in marquee games in prime times. Sponsors jumping in seeing our club as a great partnership for them. And players from other clubs are looking at us as a great destination for their careers - Devon Smith, Adam Saad, Jake Stringer, and now, Dylan Shiel. Shiel is the one that really underlines how well we are going. Mad Blues supporter. They offered him megabucks. He chose us. Think about that. Would have grown up despising us as a club, yet here is wanting to contribute to our 17th flag.

The above can also be attributed to Dodoro (much ridiculed over our dull years), for getting the deals done. He has also nailed some excellent talent in the draft recently - Z. Merrett, Fantasia, Parish, McGrath, and Francis (who could be anything). We'll see how good the likes of Ridley and Mutch can be in a couple of years.

The list is looking good. The club as a whole, is looking great. Here's hoping that those in charge of the game itself can start delivering on our potential. I hope I won't fall back into that ranting lunatic that you see every year when we lose the unlosable game. But for the first time in a very long time, I can feel a bit of optimism flowing through my blood.

So, well done Xavier, Woosha, Dodo, and Lindsay Tanner for creating a strong and stable club environment from the absolute wreckage it was in 2016.

Can't believe I've just delivered the first fluff piece for next year. Just call me Filthy.

Looking forward to 2019.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Striving for Glory & Fame

Post by Windy_Hill »

Results BD

Only results matter now. There can be no more excuses
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Xavier Campbell has done a magnificent job in mending our club. The club was much maligned and despised back in 2016 as you say. It is now respected and even admired! That’s a pretty decent effort, and it should be applauded. So well said!

As you stated, it’s now time to transfer all this onto the footy field. I believe they will do it. The list is in good shape. Players are buying in. Execute the plan, and voila!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I’d rather us be feared and despised like the Silver and Black from Oakland back in their day.

If that happens,we must be getting somewhere.

JUST WIN BABY!
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

lovely and fluffy. I like :)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

You’ve gone soft you old c***..
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:38 pm You’ve gone soft you old c***..
Did you see their pre-season training today?? It was very crisp and efficient! These guys are pumped. They look absolutely cherry ripe. Belieeeeeeeve Gimpa. We are now entering that window...
Essendunny
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

BenDoolan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:57 pm
Did you see their pre-season training today?? It was very crisp and efficient! These guys are pumped. They look absolutely cherry ripe. Belieeeeeeeve Gimpa. We are now entering that window...
Pray to God [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Rover99 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 am
Pray to God [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Keep her out of it!

It's the strength and conditioning staff, the game plan and the bloody umpires.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

:wink:
hahaha, only problem is, it's still 4 months until the season starts and 10 months until it's over - maybe earlier if we start shit like this year!
Maybe they've peaked too early Ben??
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

What I want to see, is for us to kick the sh1t out of all those teams who stood with the AFL and voted against us during the Saga. Freo was the
only one who did not. Long and dark memories.

We need to start well and to keep improving. I hope we can win our first half a dozen games and frighten the b jeebies out of those 17 other
teams. I will not be able to wipe the smile off my face, that will be a good start. I don't know if 2019 will be our year but I will be happy if we
make top 6 and win at least one final, this will set us up beautifully for 2020. This team is still in a place of becoming but once they are hit
the zone together and gell; we will dominate the competition.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

mdso wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:35 pm What I want to see, is for us to kick the sh1t out of all those teams who stood with the AFL and voted against us during the Saga. Freo was the
only one who did not. Long and dark memories.

We need to start well and to keep improving. I hope we can win our first half a dozen games and frighten the b jeebies out of those 17 other
teams. I will not be able to wipe the smile off my face, that will be a good start. I don't know if 2019 will be our year but I will be happy if we
make top 6 and win at least one final, this will set us up beautifully for 2020. This team is still in a place of becoming but once they are hit
the zone together and gell; we will dominate the competition.
Amen
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

If we don’t win in 2019, 2020 will better in hindsight 😉