Post Number 1000

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post Number 1000

Post by swoodley »

I've spent the past few days scrolling through BT, Bomberblitz and Big Footy and I'm amazed at how people have already decided that the season is almost dead and buried.

My immediate reaction after watching the loss on TV was here we go again, 2006 all over again, and I was royally pissed off.

But over the past few days, I've developed a more pragmatic approach whereby I will give the players and coaching staff the benefit of the doubt and reserve my judgement on their performances until I can talk with the benefit of having seen a lot more football.

As a long time supporter, I clearly remember the bad days of the 70's when we didn't win a final (and only played in three during that ten year period), which were then followed by the glorious 80's with finals and premierships that were like an oasis in the desert after the 70's.

The 90's also provided regular success and another premiership but also had the heartache of the 1990 GF and the '96 & '99 prelims.

Then the most wonderful year of them all...the all conquering 2000 team and a march to the premiership like no other before.

The road has been downhill since then but through thick and thin, I've supported the team, the players and the coaching staff.

The year ahead may be a difficult one, and if so I'm sure at certain times my patience will be tested but at the end of it all I'll rest comfortably in the knowledge that I support the greatest team of all.

I'm not planting my head in the sand and I don't deny that we have problems...all I'm saying is let's give our team the respect they deserve and don't jump off the bandwagon so early.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Nice one Swoodley... It's quite amazing some of the moaning that's been going on around here. One close loss, albeit an annoying one in a shitty pre-season cup game, and some BTers are flipping out. It would be funny if it wasn't quite so sad... One BTer suggested that another BTer "Was blinded by the red and black"... Priceless stuff indeed...

It's like a witch hunt, brothers turning against brothers. Personal attacks, old rivalries surfacing. Ah yes, it's footy season again... :wink:
chummy
Top Up Player

Post by chummy »

I think the problem with the Carlton game was we all expected to win,after a terrible season last year , the inclusion of Lloyd and Michael ,and the list looking fit and healthy their was a real optimism , on paper we didn't look to bad however on the field we looked terrible.We didn't chase hard we didn't tackle hard we kicked poorly we handballed when we should of kicked and we kicked when we should of handballed we were poorly disiplined and we lacked leadership all the same problems as last year. As i sat in the stands at TD and looked around at our supporters you could see the headshaking and hand jestures .I think we were all a bit stunned that so little had changed ,after so many years at the top 'we treated last year as the recession you have to have and that the bad times were now behind us.
Its hard to tell were we are in the cyclye should Hird have played on should campo get a game are we top 4 or bottom 4 unfortunatly we have the games greatest spin artist and self promoter as our coach god only know's what will happen ,one things for sure sheedy has his back to the wall and 14 home and away games to save his arse.

I have never been a sheedy fan as a coach, but its always been interesting ,SO LETS ENJOY SHEEDY'S LAST HOORA OR GREATEST HOUDINI ACT
snitzel
Top Up Player

Post by snitzel »

We lossed because of alot of things, the new in the back rule, kicking short when should have kicked long, kicking long when should have kicked short, most of the game was fast but never had any skilled footy (from either team)

It was just a really ordinary match that frustrats people when there team falls short, personaly i thought some players showed some great signs and im sure that a blues supporter would have persoanly thought that there team had a great win (which they didnt)

We have had alot of training and practise matches but they need to be in the heat of an AFL match to really get used to each other, because the team is considerably different from last year (lots of new players)

We should always think we are going to win but thats why some are more angry then others.
You kick the bucket and ill swing my legs!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Its all about expectations!!

Mine have been somewhat deflated thanks to the insipid performance against Carlton

I do hope that we can

1) get committed players on to the park who want to win at all costs

2) Develop a game plan that is relevant in 2007

3) play guys in the correct position

4) Get rid of the deadwood

Maybe that will get the pulse racing again