R1 Essendon v Greater Western Sydney

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

R1 Essendon v Greater Western Sydney

Post by BenDoolan »

Team (Squad)

B: A. Saad, P. Ambrose, C. McKenna
HB: M. Brown, M. Hurley, J. Ridley
C: D. Zaharakis, D. Myers, D. Shiel
HF: D. Heppell, J. Stringer, M. Baguley
F: Z. Merrett, S. McKernan, O. Fantasia

Foll: T. Bellchambers, K. Langford, A. McGrath

INT: M. Guelfi, D. Smith, A. Francis, A. McDonald-Tipungwuti, B. Zerk-Thatcher, D. Parish, Z. Clarke, J. Laverde

Absolutely zero confidence with our mob
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: R1 Essendon v Greater Western Sydney

Post by Windy_Hill »

you would have to think Smith, Francis and Walla are certainties. Who do you think will be the 4th interchange?

Has to be out of Laverde and Guelfi yeah?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:01 pm you would have to think Smith, Francis and Walla are certainties. Who do you think will be the 4th interchange?

Generally the first 4 named will make the team
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:01 pm you would have to think Smith, Francis and Walla are certainties. Who do you think will be the 4th interchange?

The coaches have a lot of time for Guelfi.

Nice to see Zerk-T get named on extended bench.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

McKernan being named and Stewart not even making the extended bench should send him warning signals.

Pity, as he looked like he had some talent when he first arrived.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Last year if we were playing GWS without Shiel, Kelly and Ward in their mid-field I would have been confident...

Yet this year, after our pathetic efforts in the JLT (I know they`re only practice games, but f***, we were awful) it`s hard to be confident.

I do hope they prove me wrong though....
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 am McKernan being named and Stewart not even making the extended bench should send him warning signals.

Pity, as he looked like he had some talent when he first arrived.
McKernan thoroughly deserves his spot....played good footy till injured last year.

Stewart needs to kill it in the two`s and 'demand' his place in the team. As you said, he has looked good at stages.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

I believe Stewart has a groin injury. That's why he wasn't considered.
I'm concerned with Baguley's selection, he was ok last year as a defensive forward but his form in JLT was abysmal, (like a few others). However he deserves a chance based on last year.
Guelfi is a goer but I think he has to improve on his skills as this stage, so I think Smith, Tipper & Francis are in & the other spot is between Parish & Laverde.
I want to see in this game & all of 2019 & beyond, Heppell to lead angry & get serious. Also NO TURNOVERS. Zaka as our most experience player to play more desperate footy.
GO BOMBERS
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

FFS groins....!! What do these guys do in their spare time? And yes, was hoping for Stewart to show his old club up. Another tragedy I guess. Went OK in the JLT but have more faith in McKernan's abilty to shine when the chips are down.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Final Team;

INT: M. Guelfi, D. Smith, A. Francis, A. McDonald-Tipungwuti
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Rover99 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:59 pm FFS groins....!! What do these guys do in their spare time? And yes, was hoping for Stewart to show his old club up. Another tragedy I guess. Went OK in the JLT but have more faith in McKernan's abilty to shine when the chips are down.
McKernan seemed to be a bit put out when dropped for JRT 2 and played really well in the 2's. Now that's the way to do it.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 pm Final Team;

Not at all confident regarding Brown at half back. I just don’t think he has the strength or mongrel to play a back mans role. A good mark with only one to beat and a great kick for goal but when it hits the ground he is lost and easily pushed off the ball. I have my same concerns regarding Gleeson. Hooker is a massive out for us.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:19 pm
Rover99 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:59 pm FFS groins....!! What do these guys do in their spare time? And yes, was hoping for Stewart to show his old club up. Another tragedy I guess. Went OK in the JLT but have more faith in McKernan's abilty to shine when the chips are down.
McKernan seemed to be a bit put out when dropped for JRT 2 and played really well in the 2's. Now that's the way to do it.
McKernan played a blinder in the twos against Geelong. Am looking forward to seeing him on Sunday. Deserves a real crack at it.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Not at all confident regarding Brown at half back. I just don’t think he has the strength or mongrel to play a back mans role. A good mark with only one to beat and a great kick for goal but when it hits the ground he is lost and easily pushed off the ball. I have my same concerns regarding Gleeson. Hooker is a massive out for us.
I’d reckon Aaron Francis will be roaming down there and Brown will be coming off the bench doing stints up forward.
Essendunny
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’d reckon Aaron Francis will be roaming down there and Brown will be coming off the bench doing stints up forward.
Yes, of course. Brown will get smashed in the backs - and would be totally wasted IMHO. Francis should stay at HB. Contests and marks were spectacular at end of last season.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Rover99 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:45 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, of course. Brown will get smashed in the backs - and would be totally wasted IMHO. Francis should stay at HB. Contests and marks were spectacular at end of last season.
It's all so "rotational/flexible" these days, but if I was to pick a starting line-up, it'd be.....
B: Saad Ambrose McKenna
HB: Zerrett Hurley Francis
C: Zaharakis Myers Langford
HF: Heppell Brown Stringer
F: Smith McKernan Fantasia
Foll: Bellchambers Shiel McGrath
Int: Guelfi Ridley McDonald-Tipungwuti Baguley
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Brown will definitely play forward, he was probably our best player up there in the 2 JLT games.

I really don't know what they are thinking with Ambrose. He is a dreadful defender, a poor field kick and doesn't seem quick-minded enough to play at AFL level. On top of that in today's football you need players out there that can get more than 8 possies per game regardless of their position on the ground. Hartley has the physical attributes and ability to take on the bigger forwards, don't know why he's not even an emergency. Good thing Patton is out again.

Parish is very unlucky, he looked ok in the JLT's and is a proven solid contributor. Guelfi, Myers and Langford should all be feeling very lucky.

Should be a really good game, hopefully we can get on top of their depleted midfielders and can build from there.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

ZeroEffect wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 am Brown will definitely play forward, he was probably our best player up there in the 2 JLT games.

I really don't know what they are thinking with Ambrose. He is a dreadful defender, a poor field kick and doesn't seem quick-minded enough to play at AFL level. On top of that in today's football you need players out there that can get more than 8 possies per game regardless of their position on the ground. Hartley has the physical attributes and ability to take on the bigger forwards, don't know why he's not even an emergency. Good thing Patton is out again.

Parish is very unlucky, he looked ok in the JLT's and is a proven solid contributor. Guelfi, Myers and Langford should all be feeling very lucky.

Should be a really good game, hopefully we can get on top of their depleted midfielders and can build from there.
I think Paddy Ambrose is very underrated. Before his injury woes last year, he was an extremely effective defender. His pressure / tackling work was right up there with the best in the league. He also has the capacity to run out of defence and do some offensive damage - something Hartley distinctly lacks. I think Hartley is a good defender, but Ambrose provides a bit more flexibility.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Fair enough Windy, I guess till Hooker comes back Ambrose will get his chance. I hope he does well and dominates but just don't think he has the ability or size to match most tall forwards.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I am still not 100% sold on Paddy Ambrose. Yes , he does some good things but too often does he get caught out of position only to see his direct opponent score. I really want him to tighten up and become a human vice on one of the oppositions bigger forwards. This will allow Hurley to do what he does best which is play that sweeping rebounder role.