Mason Redman, Aaron Francis and our Defensive Selection Nightmare

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Mason Redman, Aaron Francis and our Defensive Selection Nightmare

Post by Windy_Hill »

Was really impressed with young Mason Redman playing across the half back flank. In his few appearances in the senior team he has given us hints of a very good footballer to come. However, we clearly have an abundance of riches with the defensive talent in the team which raises questions about future selection dilemmas.

Guaranteed starters in our back line are obviously Hooker,Hurley, Saad, McKenna.

Then you have

Ambrose - who to give credit where it’s due, played a great lock down game on Hipwood and allows Hurley more freedom
Ridley - already looks the part
Francis - Hasn’t quite hit his straps in 2019 but looks like a star in the making
Gleeson - before injury was consolidating himself as a better than average defender and very good intercept mark
Dea - reliable defender who is probably a depth player at best
McNiece - young defender with some AFL time under his belt and from all reports, highly regarded by coaches
Zerk-Thatcher - promising key defender on he verge of senior selection...probably being groomed as a long term replacement for Hooker/Hurley
Redman - very promising mobile half back

It would be a shame to lose Francis through lack of game time so you would think he has to be considered a best 22 player. It really then becomes a lottery for the others who can all mount solid cases for selection in the future.

Nice problems to have I guess
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: Mason Redman, Aaron Francis and our Defensive Selection Nightmare

Post by s'dreams »

Without being too negative, most commentators and pundits point to our defense as being our weakest part.

Its good that there is some competition for spots, and there will be some rejigging from week to week depending on the opponent, but I wouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves after just two good games this year (against "softer" opponents).

Give it a few more weeks.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:18 pm Without being too negative, most commentators and pundits point to our defense as being our weakest part.

Its good that there is some competition for spots, and there will be some rejigging from week to week depending on the opponent, but I wouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves after just two good games this year (against "softer" opponents).

Give it a few more weeks.
Fair comment, but regardless, the selection dilemma remains. Does Francis stay out of the team next week?
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

I was shocked Francis got dropped and put it down to the bad corky he'd gotten the week before. Then Redman came in and was fantastic.. so maybe he was genuinely dropped. Like you say these are good problems to have.

I have been Ambroses biggest critic but have to admit he was good against the Lions and was good the week before against Melbourne. He's much better suited to playing on the third tall as he easily gets monstered by the Gorilla's in the competition. My other worries with him are is lack of disposals and his awkward kicking style, he always seems to have that one clanger a game.

Going forward you'd have to think Francis has too much upside to be kept out of the team for too long. His intercept marking is elite already and he's only going to get better. There's no point wasting another year in the VFL, if we do that to him there's a good chance he'll want to leave at the end of the season again and he won't improve. He needs to be at the top level to get any better now.

The other one is Gleeson, he is a very handy footballer as he is so versatile. He can play on the small/med forwards and then peel off and take those courageous intercept marks.

So I believe our best backline if everyone is available would be:

Saad, Hurley , Mckenna
Gleeson, Hooker, Francis

Ridley would be the other one if there is a backman starting on the bench.

Then the pecking order would be..

Redmond
Ambrose
Zerk-Thatcher
Dea

I'm not going to count McNeice as he might naturally come in if say a Saad or Mckenna got injured.

Let me know if you agree or disagree Windy.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ZeroEffect wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:12 pm I was shocked Francis got dropped and put it down to the bad corky he'd gotten the week before. Then Redman came in and was fantastic.. so maybe he was genuinely dropped. Like you say these are good problems to have.

I have been Ambroses biggest critic but have to admit he was good against the Lions and was good the week before against Melbourne. He's much better suited to playing on the third tall as he easily gets monstered by the Gorilla's in the competition. My other worries with him are is lack of disposals and his awkward kicking style, he always seems to have that one clanger a game.

Going forward you'd have to think Francis has too much upside to be kept out of the team for too long. His intercept marking is elite already and he's only going to get better. There's no point wasting another year in the VFL, if we do that to him there's a good chance he'll want to leave at the end of the season again and he won't improve. He needs to be at the top level to get any better now.

The other one is Gleeson, he is a very handy footballer as he is so versatile. He can play on the small/med forwards and then peel off and take those courageous intercept marks.

So I believe our best backline if everyone is available would be:

Saad, Hurley , Mckenna
Gleeson, Hooker, Francis

Ridley would be the other one if there is a backman starting on the bench.

Then the pecking order would be..

Redmond
Ambrose
Zerk-Thatcher
Dea

I'm not going to count McNeice as he might naturally come in if say a Saad or Mckenna got injured.

Let me know if you agree or disagree Windy.
Great post Zero - we should hear more from you.

I really dont know the answer - and you know, we even forgot to mention Hartley who is a competent back up tall when needed.

Perhaps Gleeson could be shifted forward - he is a strong mark and could be a replacement for Baguely in that defensive forward role?

The other thing is either Redman or Ridley could possibly be moved into midfield roles - inside heavy mids - they both seem to have the pace given their size??? Similar to Bontempelli although not in the same league at this stage.

Either way, there is some promising talent and not all of them will be happy to play second fiddle - perhaps we will have to look at trade options where we can ship one or two of these young guys for say position we are weak in? A quality ruckman has to be a key objective in the next year or so
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Lol, yes poor old Hartley.. not only have we forgotten about him it seems the coaches love to do that too. Apart from 2016 he's never been able to lock down a spot for more than a couple of weeks.

Agreed on Redmond and Ridley possibly having some midfield time, they've done it with Langford but it hasn't really worked so far. Ridley is definitely an accumulator and Redmond has the right body shape for it.

Draper must come in at some stage this season. From what I've seen of him at VFL level he's probably already better than Bellchambers and definitely better than Clarke. We'll never know if he doesn't get a crack.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

ZeroEffect wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:48 am
Agreed on Redmond and Ridley possibly having some midfield time, they've done it with Langford but it hasn't really worked so far. Ridley is definitely an accumulator and Redmond has the right body shape for it.

Yes. Hit the nail on the head with Langford...body shape...indecisive... just wrong. Will do well in the VFL maybe as fwd.

Draper must come in at some stage this season. From what I've seen of him at VFL level he's probably already better than Bellchambers and definitely better than Clarke. We'll never know if he doesn't get a crack.
Cant wait to see how he goes !