Hard Decisions on Our List

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Hard Decisions on Our List

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue May 14, 2019 1:25 am

I am expecting a lot of hate...but please remember it’s just an opinion. No need to get personal.

I think we need to be brutal as a club at the end of the season. We are cooked and will not play finals again. Too many passengers.

Sadly we don’t even have a first round draft pick the ease the pain.

I say we move now on trading players like Heppell, Hurley and Zaharakis while they still have some currency. We are not going to win a flag with these guys so why hold on.

Hurley has been ruined by Worsfold and has been molded into an ineffective rebounder with poor disposal and decision making. He was once a one on one beast and is now but a shadow of his former self. We could get a second round pick from Gold Coast or Brisbane....maybe even a low first rounder.

Heppel is a good footballer and An average captain. But, he would attract a first round pick from a “win now” club. He has 3-4 years of good footy left in him and would add value to a Geelong or Collingwood midfield where he slots in as the 5th or 6th best mid.

Zaharakis May be good for a second round draft pick ...if we are lucky

Delist Myers, Baguely, Dea, Long, McNeice

We go to the trade with 1 first round pick (Heppell) and 4 second round picks ( this year’s second round, the GWS second rounder from the Shiel Trade, 2 second rounders for Hurley and Zaharakis.

1 x First Round
4 x Second Round

That gives us a few options at the draft, maybe we could even trade up some picks foe another first rounder.

We have to do something....

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hard Decisions on Our List

Post by grassy1 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 am

We have to do something indeed.With a new Board for starters,it seems.Then the Chopping starts,with better people up the top making those decisions you want Windy!
Last edited by grassy1 on Tue May 14, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 am

Agree something needs to be done.

Unfortunately, won’t happen until Worsfold and recruiting team are all gone.

New coach, new recruiters = list turnover.

But I can’t see it happening in time and the players you mention will lose any currency they have now...

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am

This topic is early this year - normally it crops up in late June...

I merely ask ... what s the point of delisting lots if:
* the selectors are reluctant to play the kids,
* the coaching seems to make the kids go backwards in their skills, and
* the conditioning staff seem hellbent on setting new records with soft tissue injuries.

Somehow the Cats, Richmond and Port have managed to play lots of young ones this year and have done OK
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue May 14, 2019 5:31 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am

* the conditioning staff seem hellbent on setting new records with soft tissue injuries.

Somehow the Cats, Richmond and Port have managed to play lots of young ones this year and have done OK
Don’t disagree with any of that. We should be playing the kids. But we don’t. How often is it that yo see so many of our young guys in the system for 4 or 5 years before they hit 20 games?? Often. That is largely due to us always valuing or senior players far more than they actually deserve. Does anyone honestly believe David Myers would have lasted this long under a Clarkson coaches team! I think we should delist at least the players I have mentioned above in order to better develop and provide opportunities for the younger guys....from which we will hopefully get some traction and ultimately better players.

We should be getting best in class proven coaching and fitness staff from already successful programs. I guess Ben Rutten is at least an early indication of this. Yet we still persist with old boys like Skipworth and Harvey

We are considerably f***** when it comes to trading and drafting thanks to a program of sacrificing our recent first round picks and of course, this year’s first round pick. Got no problem with that but it leaves the cupboard bare and we will not have any meaningful part to play in this year’s draft. Clarkson would not hesitate in moving on club legends to land a Mitchell or O’Meara. We must do the same. Stop being sentimental about players in their late 20s who have ultimately failed to deliver us a flag and are unlikely to in the next 3 years. If Trading Heppell and Hurley could land 2 first round draft picks then honestly, we wold be insane no to take them. If offloading failed youngsters like Laverde and Langford could deliver a second and third round selection....for god’s Sake grab them. They are not going to be any more than average to below average AFL players so let’s move on for their sake and the club’s

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:31 pm
If offloading failed youngsters like Laverde and Langford could deliver a second and third round selection.

Dreamin'.
4th round at best.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue May 14, 2019 7:56 pm

F111 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
If offloading failed youngsters like Laverde and Langford could deliver a second and third round selection.

Dreamin'.
4th round at best.
Maybe both of them for a third rounder from one club??? I know I am dreaming but after 5 years, these guys offer nothing, best to cut our losses and get a couple of kids through the draft

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Let’s hope some father/sons turn out to be absolute guns. That’s the only hope we got.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am

Don’t disagree with any of that. We should be playing the kids. But we don’t. How often is it that yo see so many of our young guys in the system for 4 or 5 years before they hit 20 games?? Often. That is largely due to us always valuing or senior players far more than they actually deserve. Does anyone honestly believe David Myers would have lasted this long under a Clarkson coaches team! I think we should delist at least the players I have mentioned above in order to better develop and provide opportunities for the younger guys....from which we will hopefully get some traction and ultimately better players.

We should be getting best in class proven coaching and fitness staff from already successful programs. I guess Ben Rutten is at least an early indication of this. Yet we still persist with old boys like Skipworth and Harvey

We are considerably f***** when it comes to trading and drafting thanks to a program of sacrificing our recent first round picks and of course, this year’s first round pick. Got no problem with that but it leaves the cupboard bare and we will not have any meaningful part to play in this year’s draft. Clarkson would not hesitate in moving on club legends to land a Mitchell or O’Meara. We must do the same. Stop being sentimental about players in their late 20s who have ultimately failed to deliver us a flag and are unlikely to in the next 3 years. If Trading Heppell and Hurley could land 2 first round draft picks then honestly, we wold be insane no to take them. If offloading failed youngsters like Laverde and Langford could deliver a second and third round selection....for god’s Sake grab them. They are not going to be any more than average to below average AFL players so let’s move on for their sake and the club’s
Yes that's the bitterest pill of all this year. Carlton & Giants must still be celebrating. Nothing for it but to hock the clubhouse and dig deep when it comes to free agents. Hoping to hell we can pull off some miracle with a ruck at least and one tall fwd.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 pm
Let’s hope some father/sons turn out to be absolute guns. That’s the only hope we got.
Apparently we have a few possibilities on the radar...

Mason Fletcher (18) who did not nominate for the draft last season but are returning to the under-18 competition as an overager.

Tom Hird (17), has been training at the club in recent weeks. He is eligible this year although he has been playing soccer for the past 3 years.

Kurtis Barnard (17) was playing for Aberfeldie U17 last year. I can't find where he is playing this year, but I note he is a school Captain of Essendon Keilor College. Longshot

Jaxon Neagle (18) Played in the NT Footy league for Waratah over summer and is now at Central Districts in the SANFL. He was in the seniors for 3 matches, but has since been relegated to the seconds. Longshot.

Lachlan Johnson (17 ... Chris Johnson's son) can join the Lions but he also qualifies for our Next Generation Academy (how the heck does that work???).

Anyway - Likely to recruit Mason under F/S this year (not sure why he simply wasn't taken with a later non-F/S pick last year - he would have likely even slipped to rookie selections). Tom Hird could be taken as a Category B rookie, or left until 2020...

In 2020-21, there is an interesting array of prospects... Max Fletcher (17), Joshua Misiti (16), Nyawi Moore (16 - NLM's son), Alex Hird (16) and Tex Wanganeen (16)...

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:23 am

Damn amazing. When we get round to 2025 it'll probably look like 2000 all over again (except WE won't!)

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Wed May 15, 2019 11:31 am

I agree with most of what's already been said.

Perhaps, when it comes down to it, the only important language the club seems to understand is dollars. That's right I said moola, dosh, the folding stuff, money. This club has been languishing for long enough and we are as guilty as the club. Because we bought their con, their bullsh1t, wanting to believe and hoping what they we saying was true. Last year, they said this year top 4. Maybe they were talking about caravan parks and we misunderstood the conversation. Sorry, NO. Top 4, be damned, we are going down the snakes not up the ladders. They are hanging on, we are hanging on for the good times to come and one wants to let go.

We are the only ones in the club that remain totally loyal to the club, us dummies. We stay through thick and then. All the others who make up the club - the Board, the Coach, the staff and the players they all eventually move on in one way or another, we don't. The supporters, the Members, don't decide to just up and leave and barrack for another club. We need to let the club know, we've had enough and its time for change and that we are prepared to vote with our feet because that is the only thing we can control. Where your money goes!!! Its up to us.

This club needs a big clean out. Board, Coaches and players. How many more games will it take us to lose, before we start playing some of the younger players and getting game time into them?
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu May 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Anyone thinking we are going to be better than 4-7 at the halfway mark is dreaming

We are a turgid pile of steaming shit.

Another season of shattered dreams. When will it stop??? When will the fans force the issue at Board level and demand something is done to turn this toxic culture of mediocrity around

I say bring back Hird

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:04 pm
Anyone thinking we are going to be better than 4-7 at the halfway mark is dreaming

Another season of shattered dreams. When will it stop??? When will the fans force the issue at Board level and demand something is done to turn this toxic culture of mediocrity around

I say bring back Hird
Is Bomber doing much these days? At least he should know some enforcers

Wally
Top Up Player

Post by Wally » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am

Believe we are still a year & half away until we will be a consistent Top 4 side able to challenge in 2021. This year is a write off already and at best we may see a repeat of getting close like last year, however I don’t think that will happen as teams now know what needs to occur to shut us down and stop us playing to our strengths.

Top End Leadership:

When breaking down the list this is the weakest group that we have and the reason I believe for our inconsistency from 1 week to the next. Looking through this they are nowhere near the calibre of equivalents at the top 5-6 clubs.

We have 12 players that are 27 or older on the list. None of these players scream natural Leadership and the ability of grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and dragging everyone across the line with them - including our current Captain.

Code: Select all

Player			Age	Debut	2019	Total	Seasons	Season Average
David Zaharakis		29.2	2009	7	194	11	18.7
Cale Hooker		29.6	2008	5	180	12	17.5
Michael Hurley		29.0	2009	8	168	11	17.8
Dyson Heppell		27.0	2011	8	159	9	21.6
Mark Baguley		32.0	2012	7	131	8	17.7
David Myers		29.9	2008	6	122	12	11.6
Tom Bellchambers	29.9	2008	8	121	12	11.3
Zac Clarke		29.1	2009	3	104	11	12.6
Patrick Ambrose		27.7	2014	8	75	6	13.4
Matt Dea		27.6	2010	0	70	10	8.8
Shaun McKernan		28.7	2009	3	65	11	6.9
Mitch Brown		28.7	2011	5	59	9	7.7
This is where the culling needs to occur. We need to move on half of this list this year:

Keep 1 of Hurley / Hooker - trade the other. Really our only trade value that would potentially get a mid-1st Round pick through this year.
Keep 1 of McKernan / Brown - delist the other (no trade value at all).
Keep 1 of Dea / Ambrose - delist the other (no trade value at all).
Keep 1 of Bellchambers / Clarke - delist the other (no trade value at all).

Over the next couple of seasons, natural attrition should take care of the 4 above that remain as we have younger players pushing up.

Baguley & Myers to be delisted this year (no trade value at all).

Heppell & Zaharakis to remain. Need to learn from the issues we encountered early to mid 2000's when we traded off and lost our soul. These 2 need to remain for that reason alone.

Mid-Tier Age 23 – 26:

Can certainly see why we targeted and important that we got the 4 S’s in over last couple of years.

Dylan Shiel		26.2	2012	8	143	8	19.3
Devon Smith		26.0	2012	7	138	8	18.7
Jake Stringer		25.1	2013	8	117	7	18.2
Zach Merrett		23.6	2014	8	111	6	20.6
Joe Daniher		25.2	2013	3	103	7	16.7
Adam Saad		24.8	2015	8	78	5	17.5
McDonald-Tipungwuti	26.1	2016	8	74	4	22.0
Martin Gleeson		24.7	2014	0	69	6	17.3
Orazio Fantasia		23.7	2014	6	66	6	12.0
Conor McKenna		23.1	2016	8	59	4	17.0
James Stewart		25.2	2013	0	45	7	7.5
Michael Hartley		25.9	2016	0	41	4	13.7
Ben McNiece		26.1	2017	0	10	3	5.0
Jake Long		23.3	2016	0	5	4	2.5
Pressure on Stewart & Hartley to step up and cement their position replacing one of the 27+ above. If unable - they need to go.

Believe we also can only afford 1 of Gleeson & McKenna. Not sold on the Irish experiment - looks good at times against the weaker opposition, but is embarrassingly found out against good sides that apply continual pressure. He smacks of someone who will cost us big time when the pressure is on and needs cool heads. Preference would be on Gleeson, however yet to be seen if he can ever get back on the park and get anywhere near the form he briefly showed before injured.

Can’t afford to carry persistently injured players on the list anymore.

Open as to whether McNiece & Long stay for next season or delisted this year. As above if they have not established themselves by end of next Season - they need to go.

The guys in the 22 and Under Bracket need as much senior playing time together as possible for remainder of this season and next. Would really like to see at least 6-8 of these guys together each week.

Jayden Laverde		22.8	2015	0	30	5	7.5
Kyle Langford		22.5	2015	3	50	5	11.8
Darcy Parish		21.8	2016	7	62	4	18.3
Aaron Francis		21.8	2016	5	15	4	3.3
Matt Guelfi		21.8	2018	7	22	2	15.0
Mason Redman		21.7	2016	5	10	4	2.5
Kobe Mutch		21.2	2018	1	4	2	3.0
Andrew McGrath		21.0	2017	8	49	3	20.5
Josh Begley		20.9	2017	0	8	3	4.0
Dylan Clarke		20.7	2018	0	1	2	1.0
Jordan Ridley		20.6	2018	6	9	2	3.0
Brayden Ham		20.1	2019	2	2	1	0.0
All have talent and just need more game time to improve their consistency across 4 quarters. Would really like to see both McGrath and Parish dominate at least a couple of games leading into the end of this season though. So far they have shown they will be good steady players - not game breakers, want to see this aspect of them. Otherwise questions will eventuate.

Langford is an interesting one. If there was any interest in him as a trade target - I'd take it up to including an early 3rd round. If not he still has some value under a new coaching structure. Certainly not the worst on our list - however take out 2016 and he is tracking very very similar to Myers.

Recruiting:

Over the next 1-2 years looking at above would be minimum 12 changes to the current list. 6 for this year and 6 the following year.

Priority coming IN needs to be on FOOTBALLERS - players who have exceptional skills by foot above all else. We need smart players who know where and how to position themselves on the field and are prepared to work hard. Players that can use the ball when they have it and not hack it away / turnover as soon as perceived pressure is felt.

Preference to target another ruckman who will assist in the development of Draper and push Bellchambers. Other than that - the BEST available player regardless of position - whether that be a kid or a mature. If mature - they need to be someone who would push immediately to fit straight into and compliment the best 22. No project players who languish and will take time as we don't really have a good track record in that department.

As pointed out elsewhere there are some father/sons that I would target this year as we are really compromised with 1st round off to GWS. If they are going to be better than we would get in the draft from midway onwards - take them.

Stick to the draft for the next couple of years with a view to being aggressive in 2021 draft / trade period.

Coaching:

Priority that Worsfold goes ASAP. He will continue to hold us back the longer he stays. The longer he and the others on the coaching panel remain - the longer it will take to turn the consistency around. Do whatever needs to be done - pay him out, retire him, sack him - don't care. Just move him on.

Get Hird back. For a number of reasons that I won’t go into here, other than to say that as a player every time he had a setback (and there were numerous) he came back better and hungrier than what he was. See no reason at all that this would not apply to coaching.

Can see that this above list is primed for him to stamp his authority all over it and realise its full potential. Complete a mission that he started and never got a chance to fully see through to the end. I'm not convinced he doesn't want to come back and would hate to see him anywhere other than Essendon.

The club needs to pull off a move like this to show everyone that we are relevant and beat to the tune of our own drum - not a puppet piece for the hierarchy of the competition. If it means a sweep out of head office - it needs to be done. We have been a basket case of an underperforming club for too many years - time to make a stance, stand up and be counted again.

14 years without a finals win and counting – disgraceful and unacceptable.

Otherwise open as to whether they go after a new coach or someone who has been a Senior Coach previously, however they need a younger, hungrier, strategically minded, natural leader of younger men who have been around successful sides.

Assistants need to be replaced regardless by players recently out of the game (up to 5-8 years) who mirror and compliment the characteristics and where ever, fill the blanks of any deficiencies of the new Senior Coach. All must have been involved in sustained success for a period at some stage across their career.

As we have seen the last couple of years our VFL side is on the up. Whatever we are doing right here needs to continue and remain a major focus to ensure we have the best personal to develop our younger players and prepare them for senior football and importantly have an immediate impact.

Can see some upside in where we could potentially head, but not confident at all that the club will make the necessary decisions required to get there.

The club needs to stand up and be relevant again.

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Fri May 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:

I say bring back Hird
After last weeks debacle with Rampe, the goal post, the umpies and Gill the Dill. Hirdy would have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anywhere near the footy department, let alone coaching. When Mike Fitzfatprick said to Hirdy,." you won't work in football anywhere again ever," he meant it. And; even though he is no longer Chairman of the AFL, Hirdy is not a popular figure at AFL House. For one thing, he's too honest and calls it how he sees it and two, I hope he stays as far away from the people who stabbed him in the back and could hurt him again as possible.
Last edited by mdso on Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Fri May 17, 2019 4:04 pm

mdso wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:52 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:

I say bring back Hird
After last weeks debacle with Rampe, the goal post, the umpies and Gill the Dill. Hirdy would have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anywhere near the footy department, let alone coaching. When Mike Fitzfatprick said to Hirdy,." you won't work in football again ever," he mean it. And; even thought he is no longer Chairman of the AFL, Hirdy is not a popular figure at AFL House. For one thing, he's too honest and calls it how he sees it and two, I hope he stays as far away from the people who stabbed him in the back and could hurt him again as possible.
I think a strong indication of Hirdy's interest in the game is that Tom H was shuffled into soccer 3 years ago, and only recently has Tom been enticed to start training with us. When the son of a champion of the game qualifies as a Category B rookie ...

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Hird is every chance to return to coaching - watch this space

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Wally wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am
Believe we are still a year & half away until we will be a consistent Top 4 side able to challenge in 2021. This year is a write off already and at best we may see a repeat of getting close like last year, however I don’t think that will happen as teams now know what needs to occur to shut us down and stop us playing to our strengths.

Top End Leadership:

When breaking down the list this is the weakest group that we have and the reason I believe for our inconsistency from 1 week to the next. Looking through this they are nowhere near the calibre of equivalents at the top 5-6 clubs.

We have 12 players that are 27 or older on the list. None of these players scream natural Leadership and the ability of grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and dragging everyone across the line with them - including our current Captain.

David Zaharakis		29.2	2009	7	194	11	18.7
Cale Hooker		29.6	2008	5	180	12	17.5
Michael Hurley		29.0	2009	8	168	11	17.8
Dyson Heppell		27.0	2011	8	159	9	21.6
Mark Baguley		32.0	2012	7	131	8	17.7
David Myers		29.9	2008	6	122	12	11.6
Tom Bellchambers	29.9	2008	8	121	12	11.3
Zac Clarke		29.1	2009	3	104	11	12.6
Patrick Ambrose		27.7	2014	8	75	6	13.4
Matt Dea		27.6	2010	0	70	10	8.8
Shaun McKernan		28.7	2009	3	65	11	6.9
Mitch Brown		28.7	2011	5	59	9	7.7
This is where the culling needs to occur. We need to move on half of this list this year:

Keep 1 of Hurley / Hooker - trade the other. Really our only trade value that would potentially get a mid-1st Round pick through this year.
Keep 1 of McKernan / Brown - delist the other (no trade value at all).
Keep 1 of Dea / Ambrose - delist the other (no trade value at all).
Keep 1 of Bellchambers / Clarke - delist the other (no trade value at all).

Over the next couple of seasons, natural attrition should take care of the 4 above that remain as we have younger players pushing up.

Baguley & Myers to be delisted this year (no trade value at all).

Heppell & Zaharakis to remain. Need to learn from the issues we encountered early to mid 2000's when we traded off and lost our soul. These 2 need to remain for that reason alone.

Mid-Tier Age 23 – 26:

Can certainly see why we targeted and important that we got the 4 S’s in over last couple of years.

Dylan Shiel		26.2	2012	8	143	8	19.3
Devon Smith		26.0	2012	7	138	8	18.7
Jake Stringer		25.1	2013	8	117	7	18.2
Zach Merrett		23.6	2014	8	111	6	20.6
Joe Daniher		25.2	2013	3	103	7	16.7
Adam Saad		24.8	2015	8	78	5	17.5
McDonald-Tipungwuti	26.1	2016	8	74	4	22.0
Martin Gleeson		24.7	2014	0	69	6	17.3
Orazio Fantasia		23.7	2014	6	66	6	12.0
Conor McKenna		23.1	2016	8	59	4	17.0
James Stewart		25.2	2013	0	45	7	7.5
Michael Hartley		25.9	2016	0	41	4	13.7
Ben McNiece		26.1	2017	0	10	3	5.0
Jake Long		23.3	2016	0	5	4	2.5
Pressure on Stewart & Hartley to step up and cement their position replacing one of the 27+ above. If unable - they need to go.

Believe we also can only afford 1 of Gleeson & McKenna. Not sold on the Irish experiment - looks good at times against the weaker opposition, but is embarrassingly found out against good sides that apply continual pressure. He smacks of someone who will cost us big time when the pressure is on and needs cool heads. Preference would be on Gleeson, however yet to be seen if he can ever get back on the park and get anywhere near the form he briefly showed before injured.

Can’t afford to carry persistently injured players on the list anymore.

Open as to whether McNiece & Long stay for next season or delisted this year. As above if they have not established themselves by end of next Season - they need to go.

The guys in the 22 and Under Bracket need as much senior playing time together as possible for remainder of this season and next. Would really like to see at least 6-8 of these guys together each week.

Jayden Laverde		22.8	2015	0	30	5	7.5
Kyle Langford		22.5	2015	3	50	5	11.8
Darcy Parish		21.8	2016	7	62	4	18.3
Aaron Francis		21.8	2016	5	15	4	3.3
Matt Guelfi		21.8	2018	7	22	2	15.0
Mason Redman		21.7	2016	5	10	4	2.5
Kobe Mutch		21.2	2018	1	4	2	3.0
Andrew McGrath		21.0	2017	8	49	3	20.5
Josh Begley		20.9	2017	0	8	3	4.0
Dylan Clarke		20.7	2018	0	1	2	1.0
Jordan Ridley		20.6	2018	6	9	2	3.0
Brayden Ham		20.1	2019	2	2	1	0.0
All have talent and just need more game time to improve their consistency across 4 quarters. Would really like to see both McGrath and Parish dominate at least a couple of games leading into the end of this season though. So far they have shown they will be good steady players - not game breakers, want to see this aspect of them. Otherwise questions will eventuate.

Langford is an interesting one. If there was any interest in him as a trade target - I'd take it up to including an early 3rd round. If not he still has some value under a new coaching structure. Certainly not the worst on our list - however take out 2016 and he is tracking very very similar to Myers.

Recruiting:

Over the next 1-2 years looking at above would be minimum 12 changes to the current list. 6 for this year and 6 the following year.

Priority coming IN needs to be on FOOTBALLERS - players who have exceptional skills by foot above all else. We need smart players who know where and how to position themselves on the field and are prepared to work hard. Players that can use the ball when they have it and not hack it away / turnover as soon as perceived pressure is felt.

Preference to target another ruckman who will assist in the development of Draper and push Bellchambers. Other than that - the BEST available player regardless of position - whether that be a kid or a mature. If mature - they need to be someone who would push immediately to fit straight into and compliment the best 22. No project players who languish and will take time as we don't really have a good track record in that department.

As pointed out elsewhere there are some father/sons that I would target this year as we are really compromised with 1st round off to GWS. If they are going to be better than we would get in the draft from midway onwards - take them.

Stick to the draft for the next couple of years with a view to being aggressive in 2021 draft / trade period.

Coaching:

Priority that Worsfold goes ASAP. He will continue to hold us back the longer he stays. The longer he and the others on the coaching panel remain - the longer it will take to turn the consistency around. Do whatever needs to be done - pay him out, retire him, sack him - don't care. Just move him on.

Get Hird back. For a number of reasons that I won’t go into here, other than to say that as a player every time he had a setback (and there were numerous) he came back better and hungrier than what he was. See no reason at all that this would not apply to coaching.

Can see that this above list is primed for him to stamp his authority all over it and realise its full potential. Complete a mission that he started and never got a chance to fully see through to the end. I'm not convinced he doesn't want to come back and would hate to see him anywhere other than Essendon.

The club needs to pull off a move like this to show everyone that we are relevant and beat to the tune of our own drum - not a puppet piece for the hierarchy of the competition. If it means a sweep out of head office - it needs to be done. We have been a basket case of an underperforming club for too many years - time to make a stance, stand up and be counted again.

14 years without a finals win and counting – disgraceful and unacceptable.

Otherwise open as to whether they go after a new coach or someone who has been a Senior Coach previously, however they need a younger, hungrier, strategically minded, natural leader of younger men who have been around successful sides.

Assistants need to be replaced regardless by players recently out of the game (up to 5-8 years) who mirror and compliment the characteristics and where ever, fill the blanks of any deficiencies of the new Senior Coach. All must have been involved in sustained success for a period at some stage across their career.

As we have seen the last couple of years our VFL side is on the up. Whatever we are doing right here needs to continue and remain a major focus to ensure we have the best personal to develop our younger players and prepare them for senior football and importantly have an immediate impact.

Can see some upside in where we could potentially head, but not confident at all that the club will make the necessary decisions required to get there.

The club needs to stand up and be relevant again.

Firstly, kudos for a fantastic analysis. Would love to see more from you in the future.

A couple of points in response.

1) I wouldn't toss up between trading Hurley or Hooker. For me its Hurley 100%. I love the guy but I just think he is ready for a new challenge as he enters the twilight of his career. Has has 3 good years left and would be ideal for a club such as Gold Coast or Port Adelaide. A mature, established player that can help them in the short term. A late first rounder is a possibility.

2) I respect your thoughts on trading out solid clubmen like Heppell and Zaharakis. But again, I refer to Clarkson's handling of senior Hawthorn players. If handled in the right way (as opposed to the mess from the early 2000's which was a salary cap fire sale) then I think these guys could be offered real opportunities to play in a flag winning team before their careers run out. I think a Collingwood, salary cap permitting, would snap up Hepp for a first rounder. Zaka could attract a second rounder or be decent steak knives in a trade scenario.

3) I am personally not sold on Parish and if Geelong have interests (and with Tim Kelly possibly leaving) then I would take a First Rounder. My problem with Parish is he does not have the pace or penetration to be an outside burst player nor does he have the physicality and strength to be an inside extractor. Let's see how the season plays out but I get the feeling he may want to move on anyway

4) Langford is the poor man's Myers. This is his 5th year in a pretty average team screaming out for a solid bodied inside mid and he cant hold down a spot in the best 22. Time to cut our losses and seek a trade. Laverde is interesting as I rate him as a really solid looking footballer. However his injury history is a real worry and I fear we are just holding in hope. If you could get some good games into him before the season is out, put him in the shop window so to speak, I would trade him knowing that his fitness is a fleeting thing.

All other points I thoroughly agree with. I especially believe Hird is our best option to bring hope back to the club. He was showing signs of being a terrific coach before everything went pear shaped. Remote chance of it happening but a nice thought. If not Hird then I would move to get Luke Hodge to the club when he retires as an assistant coach and mentor. I would also hang the carrot out for Blake Caracella as head Coach. He is highly rated and is of course an Essendon man. Caracella, Hodge, Kelly, Rutten. That seems like a solid coaching line up.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Oh one other thing

McKenna and Gleeson are not mutually exclusive and can readily be in the same starting lineup. Agree McKenna has the occasional brain fade but in general his disposal is better than most.