Kudos to the recruiting team

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Kudos to the recruiting team

Post by andrewb »

I haven't exactly been a supporter of our recruiting team for the last few years (particularly after the lean years between 97 and 01) but I have to give them kudos for turning things around.

Looking at this year's draft I think we've killed it... While all the other clubs were focussing on the KPP talent we look like we have managed to pick up four top smalls in Houli, Davey, Jetta and Hislop. Gumby will take a little while longer to show returns but given the way that Houli, Davey and Jetta have slotted straight into the senior team I think we've got the equivalent of three top 10 picks in another year. Houli could be anything with his rumoured work ethic - he looks like Mercuri with a tougher mentality.

Add Ryder, Monfries, Neagle, Slattery and Lonergan into the mix and I think we've done remarkably well over the last three drafts. Hopefully it will translate into long term success.
Filthy

Re: Kudos to the recruiting team

Post by Filthy »

andrewb wrote:I haven't exactly been a supporter of our recruiting team for the last few years (particularly after the lean years between 97 and 01) but I have to give them kudos for turning things around.

Looking at this year's draft I think we've killed it... While all the other clubs were focussing on the KPP talent we look like we have managed to pick up four top smalls in Houli, Davey, Jetta and Hislop. Gumby will take a little while longer to show returns but given the way that Houli, Davey and Jetta have slotted straight into the senior team I think we've got the equivalent of three top 10 picks in another year. Houli could be anything with his rumoured work ethic - he looks like Mercuri with a tougher mentality.

Add Ryder, Monfries, Neagle, Slattery and Lonergan into the mix and I think we've done remarkably well over the last three drafts. Hopefully it will translate into long term success.
Yeah you're right Andy.

My bro was playing Golf with a Recruiting Manager for another Melbourne Club and he remarked they couldn't believe how well we recruited. Comments along the lines of:

Gumbleton: will be a Careyesque champion (hope he doesn't bonks his mates missus though :D )

Jetta: Couldn't believe he was still around at 18.

Davey: was their next selection but we pipped them.

Hislop: see above

Houli: see above

Reimers: has huge wraps skill wise but is a project player.

And then we got Mal....this guy still couldn't believe it. 8)
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I dont think anybody has whinged about our recuiting in the last 3 years, its the ones before it that were shithouse.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Agree with Rosso

The track record before 2004 was appalling
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Kudos to the recruiting team

Post by BenDoolan »

andrewb wrote: Houli could be anything with his rumoured work ethic - he looks like Mercuri with a tougher mentality.
This I gotta see! If he's half as good as Mercuri (93-99) then he'll be a top player.

His kicking reminds me of Rama though....
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Its very early days but the signs so far is that we may have finally unearthed some true 200game material from this draft. Davey and Houli in particular are outstanding... :D
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

All the early talk was that we did well in last year's draft, and the performances of our draftees to date vindicate that. Hopefully they all continue to impress.
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

Our recruiting has been quite good in the past few years. The jury is still out on Lackcock and Dyson in particular. Make or break years for those two. But i think our performance in the most recent national draft will trump them all.

ALL the kids we drafted look like they have a real future, especially Houli, Davey and Jetta. Gumby 'will' be a star ... no doubt about that.