Bombers Vs Bulldogs practice match

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Bombers Vs Bulldogs practice match

Post by bowzer »

ESSENDON, 2.6 , 5.9 , 9.13 , 13.13 (91)
WESTERN BULLDOGS, 4.3 , 8.6 ,12.10 , 15.12 (102)

ESSENDON:
Matthew Lloyd 7, Alwyn Davey 2, Leroy Jetta 2, Scott Gumbleton, Kepler Bradley

WESTERN BULLDOGS:
Daniel Giansiracusa 2, Matthew Robbins 2, Robert Murphy 2, Brad Johnson 2, Wade Skipper 2, Jason Akermanis, Adam Cooney, Will Minson, Andrew McDougall.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Would seem like a pretty ggod result against one of the Flag Favourites

Great news to see LLoyd getting a bag.

Any news on the better players, individual performances etc?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I also guess we were without Johns and Lucas - so there's arguably 4 goals gone missing
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Looks like we finished sstrongly again which is a constant theme this year already and is something we have been piss poor in recent times.

Good to see Jetta and Davey amongst the goals too!!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Dogs still outscored us after 1/4 time (by a couple of points) but yeah, pretty close game that could have gone either way in reality. Again, our forward line (a real threat for most teams this year) was undermanned today.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

they were missing West and Ray

we were missing

Lucas, Johns, Fletcher, Jason Johnson, Stanton, Watson, Welsh, Campo and Cole.

An 11 point loss not looking to bad to me!!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

ealesy wrote:they were missing West and Ray

we were missing

Lucas, Johns, Fletcher, Jason Johnson, Stanton, Watson, Welsh, Campo and Cole.

An 11 point loss not looking to bad to me!!
Griffin, Ray played.

Dont add campo and Cole into that group, they are finished. Only way they will get into the team (or should) is via injury.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Forgive the crapness of my report as I'm just typing out random thoughts on the game. Lots of interchanges so not sure how much game time everyone had. Anyway...

Some good signs. Lots of pace. Lovett, Davey, Jetta running down players. Winderlich played fairly well. Kep was used off the bench & took a good mark running into the 50 & following up with a good goal in the last qtr. He played wing again. McPhee went hard at the ball but was sometimes a bit too enthusiastic & made the odd error. MJ was the same except most of his work paid off. Ryder needs to eat more. He's agile & quick for his size but no danger in the air. Hopefully can fill out. Hirdy was pretty good. Looks good as per usual going into the midfield every now & then. Lloyd was sensational. Early on looked a bit rusty. But got better as the game went on. Good to see him kick a goal from outside 50. Pev was pretty good. Heff was good at times. Mal was pretty solid. Dyson was good at times but made some errors. Hille was fairly consistent. Laycock took a nice grab but then missed a simple goal. NLM was a bit up & down, but Robbins got some good service from their players upfield.

1st qtr: seemed like a typical preseason game. Lots of running between HF & HB with some pretty ordinary shots at goal from both sides. Didn't seem to be that intense early on.

2nd qtr: not much different.

3rd qtr: Both sides started off craptastically. Then through the middle stages we played probably a 5-10 min burst of really good down the middle footy & got within 3 points & then for some reason Jim decides to kick across goal to a 2-on-2 about 30m out & they end up getting a goal & stopping the momentum.

4th qtr: Came over the top of them with Lloyd making a big impact. A few costly errors where a couple of handballs went straight to the opposition allowed them to get couple of goals late & win the match. I think they pulled the pin early. Qtr barely made 20mins.

The Doggies: Aker looked pretty good, & Robbins got a fair bit early on. They'd be pleased with Murphy's game. Still think they're missing a few decent big guys up forward if they going to be a threat.

Us: We were easily as quick with Lovett, Davey, Jetta causing the dogs to panic. Lloyd obviously makes the side look shitloads better than last yr.
Some of the young guys still like to overuse the handball & made some dodgy decisions but the more they play together, the less likely these things will occur(hopefully). Often we were unsure of how to deliver inside 50(dogs often flooded back). Will be better with Lucas back in.
We looked more dangerous than the Dogs, but lacked consistency(in decision making).

In short, good signs but still only a practice match. I'd say we got the most benefit out of it.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Wow I'm pretty happy with that. Lloyd 7 goals that is phenonomal. Positive signs :)