Delistings

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Delistings

Post by Windy_Hill »

I believe Hurley is going nowhere...some comments of this nature doing the rounds on Twitter so hardly the most reliable source.

I think the club and Hooker should look to a parting of ways. He has a year to go on his contract and maybe he could be a good option for Freo to help with their young squad in a Luke Hodge type arrangement. I would imagine we would have to pick up half his salary though
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Or they can give us their highest Draft pick.But I don’t think they’ll even bother picking him up.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

grassy1 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:52 am Or they can give us their highest Draft pick.But I don’t think they’ll even bother picking him up.
Hooker for their second pick would be good.

But again - it depends on Daniher. We keep JD, Hooker can go.

We lose JD, Hooker stays but on condition that he does not have to run out of either the front or back 50m arc. It would help him reduce injury breaks and help our forward and back set ups.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:08 am
Daisy..1 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm How much truth is in the Hurls and Hooker rumor?? Seriously, we will have no side left.......what a blight.....it's seriously embarrassing......and to top the shit show off..we will be stuck with a very seriously "Can't be f*****" JD.. as his return to Footy was far from showing hunger and proving his much hyped worth......BUT...it will all be OK in the end......THE EFC Board and Leaches will expect us fans to carry them again next year with a very loose promise of a signed shitty jumper made in China at $7 a pop...but DON'T DARE ASK who you may want to sign it......they will decide that for you from a pool of a mere 5 players who probably cringe at the prospect of giving up their very precious time to do so. =; DONE.
The rumour that they sooked it up over TBC? Sounds legit.

Hurley can get figged. Strip him from any leadership role. Even better, make him retire. Hooksey...well...I have a lot of time for him. He’s at the end of his career now. If he wants to head back to Perth, we should do all we can to get him there. The club tried to trade him all those years ago, and he said “nup”. He put his heart and soul into the place. I have a lot of respect for him.

We really do have a sooky culture though. They even cry of spilled pretzels 🥨
The spilled pretzels incident was one of the last times we saw an act of passion in this club.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

grassy1 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 am I often wonder why Delistings have to occur any other time but March.Just before the Pre -season,after Clubs know who’s prepared to Bust their Arse,to succeed!

Call me old fashioned,but I guess the timing of the Draft is all arsed up?!

Yep,I’m probably very old fashioned.

There is a lot about the AFL itself which is arse about. That makes too much common sense for the AFL. How about their staff over 750, when AD was CE of AFL just over 100. I shudder to think what Gill has got in store for next season. Games four nights a week, how many more games in the season proper, I shudder to think if there are more changes to come?
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

And what changes the lamebrained and enslavened WA Football Commission might follow them with,that affects and Infests my beloved Western Australian Football League!

They’ll both be up to something no Bloody Good!

Jesus!Spare Me!

:-& :-& :-& :-& :-&
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:34 am
BenDoolan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:08 am
Daisy..1 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm How much truth is in the Hurls and Hooker rumor?? Seriously, we will have no side left.......what a blight.....it's seriously embarrassing......and to top the shit show off..we will be stuck with a very seriously "Can't be f*****" JD.. as his return to Footy was far from showing hunger and proving his much hyped worth......BUT...it will all be OK in the end......THE EFC Board and Leaches will expect us fans to carry them again next year with a very loose promise of a signed shitty jumper made in China at $7 a pop...but DON'T DARE ASK who you may want to sign it......they will decide that for you from a pool of a mere 5 players who probably cringe at the prospect of giving up their very precious time to do so. =; DONE.
The rumour that they sooked it up over TBC? Sounds legit.

Hurley can get figged. Strip him from any leadership role. Even better, make him retire. Hooksey...well...I have a lot of time for him. He’s at the end of his career now. If he wants to head back to Perth, we should do all we can to get him there. The club tried to trade him all those years ago, and he said “nup”. He put his heart and soul into the place. I have a lot of respect for him.

We really do have a sooky culture though. They even cry of spilled pretzels 🥨
The spilled pretzels incident was one of the last times we saw an act of passion in this club.
Yep, probably. These days, they just gather around at half time and have a bit of a giggle despite a 10 goal deficit...
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Not sure how you can love Hooker and pot Hurley.

Their attitudes basically the same, we nearly finished Hurley's career with our horrendous mismanagement of his wrists.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

nudder12 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 am
dodgey wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:00 am Didnt Cutler sign multi year deal when he came ??
I had 2 sources saying he was only contracted for this year, and I've just had a look around and can't find anything that says otherwise, but I stand to be corrected.

I thought it was 2... but cant find anything either.

You and your 2 sources > me and my aging memory 😂😂
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Looks like Henry Crauford is gone.

No announcement from the Club, but on his Insta account today he posted about his footy career being short-lived.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:23 pm Looks like Henry Crauford is gone.

No announcement from the Club, but on his Insta account today he posted about his footy career being short-lived.
That’s sad. How c as n you judge a player in a season like this? Pretty ordinary.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Windy Hille wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 pm

That’s sad. How c as n you judge a player in a season like this? Pretty ordinary.
I agree but he would appear to be the victim of list numbers.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:48 pm
Windy Hille wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 pm

I agree but he would appear to be the victim of list numbers.
Seems the AFL is using the Covid pandemic to ram through a number of reforms it wanted to all along.

List size changes? How on earth does trimming 3 or 4 players who were on $70K plus match payments (for rookies) keep the AFL from going under?

Ditto today's rule changes dropping the number of interchanges from 90 to 75... that can only realistically occur if they keep the 2020 quarter lengths the same. How does that help save money?

What a lot of shit
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Hardly surprising s’dreams.They could never have got away with it otherwise,because Footy Diehards would just about String ‘em up ordinarily!

Arrogant ********!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Someone check on Gimps. Townsend been delisted, poor blokes probably on a bridge.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Thoughts on us delisting Gleeson and Clarke with a promise of rookie listing them if no one else picks them up.

Just a reminder, Marty Gleeson was a restricted free agent, meaning that he was in the 25% highest paid players at the Club, which is frankly ■■■■■■■ ridiculous.

But it might also explain why he had a ■■■■■■■ trigger clause too.

God we love wasting our rookie list spots on players that we are too pisweak to make a tough call on.

Here’s a clue, if a bloke has spent 8 years on your list, has attracted absolutely zero interest as a free agent, and you are delisting him from the ■■■■■■■ senior list, he’s not worth a ■■■■■■■ spot, on your ■■■■■■■ rookie list either.

Meanwhile Richmond’s premiership team had the following players who either are rookie list or started their careers on the rookie list; Castanga, Short, Baker, Lambert, Pickett.

Soldo would’ve played too if he hadn’t been injured, and Stack might have played if he was not suspended over kebab-gate.
Over the course of the season they also got significant contributions from Aarts and Chol.

Meanwhile we like to junk our rookie list up with players that we know aren’t good enough to be senior listed because we decided to cut them from the senior list.

You could perhaps argue that we made this decision with Gleeson and Clarke this year due to the COVID situation and the resultant cut in the salary cap and list sizes. Bullshit, we have plenty of cap space to pay them out and a reduction in list sizes surely make it more important not to waste rookie spots on players you’ve deemed not good enough for the senior list.

Also we’ve been doing this for years, and the only time you could’ve even mount an argument that it might have worked is Shaun McKernan who we rookied after he was delisted by Adelaide, before we elevated him to the senior list, only to drop him back to the rookie list, only to elevate him again before we finally delisted him this year. But how many times have we cut someone from the Senior list and given them a spot on the rookie list only to cut them the following ■■■■■■■ season. Countless.

It is preventing us from trying other overlooked young talent, or even giving a chance to high performing state league level mature age talent.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

IMO Clarke is stiff. In and out of the team. Was played all over the shop.

Played as an occasional tagger when Worsfold couldn't stand taggers even though an opponent midfielder was racking up 40+ possessions and without pressure was delivering them at 80% efficiency.

Poor guy didn't know whether he was coming or going.

Gleeson on the other hand has had more than enough chances. 7 seasons and 91 games.

Grassy will have to change his best 22
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

List changes to date:

Townsend,Crauford, McKernan, Hibberd, Mutch, Begley and Gown delisted.
Bellchambers and McKenna retired
Daniher, Saad and Fantasia "traded"

That is 12 off the list

Wright, Calwell and Hind

So there are lots of list spots open.

That suggests we are going to be using a lot of draft picks.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 pm List changes to date:

Townsend,Crauford, McKernan, Hibberd, Mutch, Begley and Gown delisted.
Bellchambers and McKenna retired
Daniher, Saad and Fantasia "traded"

That is 12 off the list

Wright, Calwell and Hind

So there are lots of list spots open.

That suggests we are going to be using a lot of draft picks.

Either that, or we'll replace them with another bunch of has-beens. Not cheering yet!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

We are so numb to holding onto to average list cloggers that when the axe is wielded, we are in shock.

I for one am thrilled that Rutten has said, nope, they’re not good enough. Top blokes but not AFL quality.

I thought Gleeson was going ok prior to his ankle injury. Likewise Clarke showed he could be a somewhat effective tagger. But between them they offer very little and to be fair, have been given a decent go at proving otherwise. Their selection represents 10% of the team and we can not afford to be carry 2 players who we know, if we are being truly honest, would not make the best 22 in any other club.

Conversely I would have stuck with Townsend. Adds some decent depth and can play a role.

I would be disappointed if we Rookie Gleeson and Clarke for sentimental reasons. Get some fresh blood in knowing that they couldn’t be worse but the chance exists that they might just be better.