Why does it have to be one or the other?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Post by DC »

As in Davey or Jetta?

I think there is room for both come round 1 given their pre season form.
Esp. if Sheeds wants to continue with the 3 talls of Lloyd, Lucas and Johns.

I personally would love to see two very fast goal sneaks in the forward line that can also harass the oppositions defence.

I cant see a problem with a forward line of -

Jetta Lloyd Johns
Hird Lucas Davey

Lovett Watson Monfries

McPhee Fletcher NLM
MJ Michael McVeigh

Hille JJ Stanton

Laycock Winderlich Dempsey ???

The real stuff is just around the corner and given pre season form and the general status of certain established players I think the line up will be close to this.

Sheeds will prolly have Welsh in there as well as Bradley, but Id prefer them out if at all possible.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Alwyn will play round 1 just because he is ready built and has worked hard at his second efforts. If he fails and providing VFL form is good Jetta will come in
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Alwyn will play round 1 just because he is ready built and has worked hard at his second efforts. If he fails and providing VFL form is good Jetta will come in
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

From what I saw today, they both need to play 18 games each this year if we are to be serious about the year.

Their second and third efforts are incredible and they excite the team.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I see no problem playing them both. It a tough ask for a first year player to keep up a certain tempo for 22 games, so playing them both will do good.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

We actually need Sheedy to do what he's been talking about for the past few years and play the kids. Remember when we got mauled by Adelaide in 2005 and Sheedy made outlandish comments about swinging the axe, then dropping two players- one of who was a young kid.

Davey and Jetta should both be in the round one team and should play a significant number of games this year, as should Sam Lonergan and Bachar Houli. Hislop should also get games. Nash, Slattery, Dyson, Winderlich and Laycock should also be given time to cement spots in the senior team.

If the likes of Bolton, Heffernan, Campo, Peverill get significant games and game time this year we will not go anywhere.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Out of the last list, I think Campo deserves a place in the team, to prove his worth. If he doesn't show something straight away he should be droppped.
Also, the only way Peverill, should be in teh side, is as a straght tagger.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

The forward line will work a hell of a lot better with three talls and three smalls. The defensive pressure that Davey and Jetta can put on with their pace and tenacity will be a valuable tool. Also, there skills are pretty damn good too.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Essendon4eva wrote:Out of the last list, I think Campo deserves a place in the team, to prove his worth. If he doesn't show something straight away he should be droppped.
Also, the only way Peverill, should be in teh side, is as a straght tagger.
Campo's time is limited. His preseason has been interrupted and at this stage of his career he needs all the preseason form he can muster. Sure if he proves himself then he gets a shot, but the proving ground should be regional.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Campo should not be getting games ahead of the younger kids like Dyson, Winderlich, Jetta, Davey etc who could be great servants of the club for a number of years to come.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I agree DC... I think that Johns should spend some time in the twos as well - the forward line is a bit top heavy with lucas, lloyd and johns all in there (particularly if laycock is going to rest in a pocket).

Bendigo's going to have the best KPPs going around this year:

Lee, Bradley, Ryder, Gumbles, Johns

Hopefully they win the premiership this year... our last three reserves premierships were in 83, 92 and 99 :).
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Davey is a player who can move up the ground and get the ball. However we are still too top heavy up forward. I think Lucas needs to move up the ground to about 80 meters from goal and provide a target in between wing and half forward. We know he wont handpass nor kick it short, it will be a nice long kick to a one on one contest or a bullet pass to Lloyd or Johns.

If Johns was a better field kick I would prefer him to play up the field but in any case, we need one of Johns and Lucas further up teh ground providing a target.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Exactly what I said in the match thread DC.

The two, along with Lovett seems to make an amazing lightning like trio. Having all three of those players in the team should not be a problem. One in the FP (Jetta) one on the flank (Davey) and on the wing and pushing through the middle (lovett). Together they help to create for the team as well as applying some much needed defensive pressure.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Exactly what I said in the match thread DC.
Great minds think alike gossy :)
Hopefully they win the premiership this year... our last three reserves premierships were in 83, 92 and 99
I hope so Andrew. Your right about the reserves team, looks pretty decent.
We actually need Sheedy to do what he's been talking about for the past few years and play the kids. Remember when we got mauled by Adelaide in 2005 and Sheedy made outlandish comments about swinging the axe, then dropping two players- one of who was a young kid
Completely agree. Sheeds needs to bite the bullet and play the best available. NO FAVOURITES THIS YEAR SHEEDS! If a kid is playing better than an older, more established player...play him! And not 3/4 of the game on the pine either!
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".