Stupid

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Stupid

Post by j-mac31 »

We all know Sheeds has a habit of playing players in different positions. Sometimes this works out to be a masterstroke. Other times its not so brilliant.

But there is one that I'm really disappointed about. And that is Ryder playing in defence, which looks likely to happen often during the regular season. Now I am really pleased that Ryder will be playing more often, but in defence? He is probably the most talented young ruckman to turn up at the club in a decade, maybe even longer. Hille isn't fantastic and Laycock gets injured too often for us to know what he's really capable of. I just think the future of the team would be better served by him playing in the ruck, even if that means in the 2s.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Knowing Sheeds he is probably protecting a young skinny kid from getting smashed in the ruck.

I would be disappointed also if he did not spend a fair amount of his time in the ruck this year but can not see him doing it all year.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I too think it's fair enough. He just isn't ready for the ruck yet. And if he's good in defence, even if he was drafted specifically to play in the ruck, then so be it. I mean, Fletcher and Michael both may have 2-3 years left at best, so there's no harm in developing him as a defender for our future interests.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

If youve seen him play live and the way he's been playing down back then there is absolute no need for him to played in the ruck and should not ever be developed into a ruckman.

The kids a floater(not as in sweeps across HB) but he moves so smoothly, that he glides across the ground.

Thats a sign of a magic player.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Will be a champion wherever he plays!! :wink:
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

nomolos wrote:If youve seen him play live and the way he's been playing down back then there is absolute no need for him to played in the ruck and should not ever be developed into a ruckman.

The kids a floater(not as in sweeps across HB) but he moves so smoothly, that he glides across the ground.

Agree totally. He's looked the goods as a tall at half back this preseason. I agree with Sheeds at letting him play there. He's definately got something special. I'm sure he'll probably move in and out of the senior side this year, but the more senior action he sees, the sooner we'll make our climb back up to the nice end of the ladder. :wink:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Stupid

Post by Rossoneri »

j-mac wrote:We all know Sheeds has a habit of playing players in different positions. Sometimes this works out to be a masterstroke. Other times its not so brilliant.

But there is one that I'm really disappointed about. And that is Ryder playing in defence, which looks likely to happen often during the regular season. Now I am really pleased that Ryder will be playing more often, but in defence? He is probably the most talented young ruckman to turn up at the club in a decade, maybe even longer. Hille isn't fantastic and Laycock gets injured too often for us to know what he's really capable of. I just think the future of the team would be better served by him playing in the ruck, even if that means in the 2s.
I will take a stab and say that you havent seen him play in defence?

I have seen him play there 3 games out of 4 in the PS and believe me, he is much better down back.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

All I can say is this. I do not remember Adam Goodes being trained to be a ruckman. Let Ryder, play in defense and sometimes up forward. He can get some gametime and bulk up. Then we can try him in the ruck, and we may have a new Adam Goodes on our hands.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

nomolos wrote:If youve seen him play live and the way he's been playing down back then there is absolute no need for him to played in the ruck and should not ever be developed into a ruckman.

I agree. And a magic player running across the whole ground is more valuable than a magic plaer in defence. Would you want Hird in defence? Plus if he is too busy being magic, someone on the opposing side could do plenty of damage because he is left alone, like when Rioli played in defence.

No I have not seen him play in D. But I saw him play against the Scorpions last year against big ruckman and he dominated. Maybe those ruckmen weren't as good as AFL ones, but they were certainly as big as them. With Ryder's massive leap, his body size isn't as much of a problem as you'd think. He just needs confidence and some agression.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

j-mac wrote: With Ryder's massive leap, his body size isn't as much of a problem as you'd think. He just needs confidence and some agression.
Confidence he just might get in defence. Rucking at this level to early might delay that that confidence.