The back six.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Re: The back six.

Post by Windy Hille »

In no all manners of defensive work, it is actions all lines.

Even the forwards are pressuring up the ground in a squeeze. That relates to clamping down on exiting defenders from the opposition transition - something we were lax in arresting at times.

Case in point, Matt Guelfi’s role up forward in defensively shutting down their attacking defender in Whitfield . The bonus being Guelfi turning his defence into attack on the scoreboard. Clutch.

Credit to Brad Scott. He’s building a solid unit of process driven creets. We are becoming hard to play against. Consistently.

That said, I’d go with a full compliment of players available:

A. McGrath, B. McKay, J. Kelly
M. Redman, J. Ridley, N. Martin
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

F111 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:35 pm Selectors nightmares are looming for the back 6.

Ridley will be a definite when he's ready. Reid maybe too as his height could be invaluable.

McKay won't drop out. McGrath won't drop out. Redman won't drop out. Martin won't drop out.
That leaves Kelly, Heppell, Cox and Laverde. Cox has Duursma's spot for another 3 weeks at least.

McG McK .....
Redman Ridley Martin

Considering bench rotations, someone will be missing out of course. I like Laverde. I think he's been doing a thankless job playing on bigger forwards but he might be the one at least. Maybe Hind losses his spot and Laverde rotates.

Heppell has been very good too. The usual problem for him has been his inaccurate disposal and turnovers but I think he's turned that around very well.

Kelly did a great job on TobyG yesterday too. He's done that before on others and plays that role reasonably well.

Selectors pressure nightmares are supporters dreams aren't they!
:D vingertje
Tough decisions ahead for sure.
I think it will eventually be a week by week proposition of a group of 7-8 defenders depending on who we're up against.
McKay, Ridley, McGrath, Redman will be certainties.
Kelly too. He's been awesome on the oppo small forwards so far.
We all acknowledge Laverde is playing undersized, so Reid will come in as the 2nd tall.
That leaves Laverde (Hayes - banging the door down, and Baldwin - due back in 5-6 weeks) on the outer.
What about Martin?
I think with Reid in, Martin moves to the wing, and we use Heppell, Hind as other smaller defender options.
I don't mind losing Martin's "creativity" from the backline when we'll have Ridley as an elite user in his place.
Martin to the wing (and Duursma when he returns) makes Cox vulnerable. Cox has been much improved lately but is definitely behind the others as a winger or tall defender.
About the only loss if Cox is missing is we don't have a tall across the middle of the ground to defend oppo kicks down the line out of defence, but playing a 2nd ruck should fix that.
I also want to add that Archie Roberts is in the mix as a winger/HB but I just can't see where he breaks into the side at this time - possibly a chance for Heppell's spot eventually.
Bottom line here - the selection committee have a very tough job, and will probably get canned by fans whatever choices they make. Remember a few days ago fans went nuts about Hind being selected, but it turned out he played a great game!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:55 pm
F111 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:35 pm Selectors nightmares are looming for the back 6.

Ridley will be a definite when he's ready. Reid maybe too as his height could be invaluable.

McKay won't drop out. McGrath won't drop out. Redman won't drop out. Martin won't drop out.
That leaves Kelly, Heppell, Cox and Laverde. Cox has Duursma's spot for another 3 weeks at least.

McG McK .....
Redman Ridley Martin

Considering bench rotations, someone will be missing out of course. I like Laverde. I think he's been doing a thankless job playing on bigger forwards but he might be the one at least. Maybe Hind losses his spot and Laverde rotates.

Heppell has been very good too. The usual problem for him has been his inaccurate disposal and turnovers but I think he's turned that around very well.

Kelly did a great job on TobyG yesterday too. He's done that before on others and plays that role reasonably well.

Selectors pressure nightmares are supporters dreams aren't they!
:D vingertje
Tough decisions ahead for sure.
I think it will eventually be a week by week proposition of a group of 7-8 defenders depending on who we're up against.
McKay, Ridley, McGrath, Redman will be certainties.
Kelly too. He's been awesome on the oppo small forwards so far.
We all acknowledge Laverde is playing undersized, so Reid will come in as the 2nd tall.
That leaves Laverde (Hayes - banging the door down, and Baldwin - due back in 5-6 weeks) on the outer.
What about Martin?
I think with Reid in, Martin moves to the wing, and we use Heppell, Hind as other smaller defender options.
I don't mind losing Martin's "creativity" from the backline when we'll have Ridley as an elite user in his place.
Martin to the wing (and Duursma when he returns) makes Cox vulnerable. Cox has been much improved lately but is definitely behind the others as a winger or tall defender.
About the only loss if Cox is missing is we don't have a tall across the middle of the ground to defend oppo kicks down the line out of defence, but playing a 2nd ruck should fix that.
I also want to add that Archie Roberts is in the mix as a winger/HB but I just can't see where he breaks into the side at this time - possibly a chance for Heppell's spot eventually.
Bottom line here - the selection committee have a very tough job, and will probably get canned by fans whatever choices they make. Remember a few days ago fans went nuts about Hind being selected, but it turned out he played a great game!!
It’s called Hind sight :P
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:24 am
BenDoolan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:58 pm Hind?

Seriously. f***!

Why not Shiel? :?
You're making it up as you go BD :D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 am
BenDoolan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:24 am
BenDoolan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:58 pm Hind?

Seriously. f***!

Why not Shiel? :?
You're making it up as you go BD :D
Yep, Shiel be right!
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Sounds like Ridley will be back.
Reid also sounds like he might be ready too.

Selections will be interesting.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

F111 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:00 pm Sounds like Ridley will be back.
Reid also sounds like he might be ready too.

Selections will be interesting.
I can only see Laverde making way for Ridley... though he has battled on manfully usually against a taller opponent.

Reid may have to wait a few weeks.

The back 6 today stood up and actually generated most of the movement into the forward line.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

McKay v McKay. This will be won or lost at the centre square.
Redders out. :(
Reid maybe 8 games away? The silver lining...his lower limbs will get an extended healing time.
Who gets Curnow?
:-k
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

F111 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:51 pm McKay v McKay. This will be won or lost at the centre square.
Redders out. :(
Reid maybe 8 games away? The silver lining...his lower limbs will get an extended healing time.
Who gets Curnow?
:-k
Ridley (same height as Curnow) will have to sacrifice his intercept marking role for a 1 on 1 role with Curnow. Laverde, though only 1 cm shorter than Charlie (and the same weight :shock:) , is just too slow to keep Charlie in check.

Another option is to swing an injured Langford to the backline and have Caddy try to cover for him (he might even kick a goal if the midfield delivery is better than abysmal) .

The more I think about it, it is time for Roberts to come in for this game. Just because it is a debut is not good enough a reason.

Over the past 2 years, Scott has debuted fewer players than any other coach in the AFL (3 in total) except Hinkley at Port (2 in 2023). The next worst is Nicks at Adelaide and Voss at Carlton (both with 4 debuts), then Fagan at the Lions, Dimma (2024 only) and Yze (2024 only) at Richmond (all 5 debuts).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)