Review Thread: Essendon V Adelaide

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Review Thread: Essendon V Adelaide

Post by Sartorius »

Works well at Bomberblitz, seperates from match thread.

Final Score:
Crows: 10 14 74
Dons 16 9 105.

Discuss...
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

First quater was shakky after the good start. Alot of turnovers, from poor disposal and decision making.

By the second half we slowly eliminated those mistakes from our game.

The turning point was the play by Jetta. Bounced right back up after a heavy bump setting up a goal for Lucas. Then kicked a 45 meter goal after another heavy bump.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

It's difficult to review from the radio broadcast, but it seems Lucas, Ryder, Davey, Jetta and Licha were the standouts.

The significance of the win is difficult to estimate.

They won.
They won away.
They beat a PFist from 2006.
They beat a depleted team.
They won :D
Lucas handballed?:shock: Is this true:?:

Will we be on top? :shock:
Last edited by F111 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Promising.

I like the style we played, we were patient with the delivery of the ball, and waited for options to come and present, and by doing that we created more opportunites for our forwards.

Our young players were mature, Jetta and Davey, the forward pressure was awesome imo.

Adelaide didnt have a tall forward which helped, but Fletcher played in front and Ryder intercepted and marked strongly and then ran off, he was brilliant.

Lucas was prominent up forward. Its a very dangerous forward line, and with the structure it could be demoralising for the teams we are going to play this season.

Johnno commited, i thought everyone put the body on the line, Winderlich and Gus did which set up a few opportunities.

One of the negs i thought was Bradley.... Sorry, but why is he in the team? What value does he have? I didnt see him contribute in a big way today. He got a few possesions, but i still cringe when he gets the ball.

A good start by the bombers, and hopefully a sign of things to come.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Overall a very good team effort.

Only worry again was our disposal at times, luckily this was matched by some ordinary kicking at goal by the Crows.

Loved the look of Jetta. Two courageous efforts where he wore a heavy hit resulting in goals.

Tackling and ground pressure most of the time was very good.

Thought Ryder was excellent today as well. Fletcher and Lucas sensational. MJ, McPhee, Stanton and McVeigh were also great.

Slattery and Welsh I also thought played very good games too.

Lloyd looked really good, covered a lot of ground which would give him the world of confidence.

Bring on Freo!
Splodge
Top Up Player

Post by Splodge »

Excellent start to the season, we came out firing and although we occasionally let the Crows get close, we always seemed to have that bit extra when it was needed.

After a 100pt tonking here last season, I wasn't expecting a win here but I was hoping that we'd at least show some effort and valiantly lose by 18-25 points.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sheeds played up the pre-season win at Subiaco pre game to put in the players heads that they can win Interstate.

Whatever, well done to all for a cracking deserved win.
Carlton Football Club - Surely a contradiction in terms?
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Well I guess that means that we are 169 points better than last season.

So if we add 169 points to the score of every game we played last season, we should finish first, with a record percentage, and win the flag. Beauty.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Great game and the team is substantially different to last year. Davey and Jetta make an enormous difference with their hustling in the forward line. Jetta did a few ordinary things in the first half but his second half was great: 2 goals and a direct assist to Lucas, good tackling and chasing, and a few nice passes. Aside from those two, Welsh was good early on in the forward line and Lucas/Lloyd were back to their old ways. It looked a much, much more organised forward line than the one i saw against Carlton in the NAB Cup, and i'm not sure where Johns fits in to the equation at this point if the forward line continues to play well like it did today. We actually had less forward 50 entries than Adelaide but beat them by 5 goals, which is saying something.

Winderlich picked up where he left off before breaking his leg and his game was amongst the most pleasing. Finally seems to have more composure and surety in himself.

Ryder should play almost every game this year on his form today. Just looks the part through and through, and i can't think of too many players in the AFL 20 years or under who you'd rather have.

Fletcher was obviously helped by Michael and controlled the back half even better than usual. We look to have struck a nice balance with Ryder, Fletcher and Michael down back and we controlled the aerial contests.

Some negative or pessimistic thoughts about today's game were firstly Watson and Bradley: both had some direct turnovers by foot, and don't seem to have improved much. It should also be borne in mind that we beat an Adelaide team heavily depleted by injury, who also lost Goodwin 10 minutes into the match. I thought Hille could've done more in the ruck given Adelaide's ruck stocks are pretty thin, but he did a few nice things around the ground to make up in the regard.

But overall the positives far outweigh the negatives. I'll look forward to being there in person when we take on Freo next week, where we have the chance to go 2-0 after playing two top 4 finishers from last year!
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Great start to the season. Feels better than the start to last year. Really promising signs from the younger players.
I was really impressed with Winderlich, Ryder and Jetta.
Fletcher being freed up is going to be a huge bonus for us.
If Lloydy starts kicking them, things could be looking good.
We need to back it up against Freo next week!
Go Bombers.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

What a start to the season by the boys. AAMI stadiun holds some bad memories for the boys (just think back to last year) and to win against the odds for the first time since 2004 it was a great effort. Yes the Crows were undermanned (losing Goodwin in the first quarter didn't help) but the boys stuck to the game plan and shut the crows down.

Lucas and Fletch were by far our best and players such as Slats, Licha, Ryder, Pev and Johnno were consistent all day. The form of Jetta and Davey was also very promising! we still have a lot of work to do as our kicking was deplorable (especially from Watto and McVeigh throughout the day) but overall things are definately looking up and we are not without a chance of beating the Dockers next week especially if Pavlivh gets rubbed out (fingers crossed there!)
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Loved the defensive pressure up forward.

Loved the increased tackling.

Loved the fact we won despite being challenged in the last quarter when we really would have been run over in previous years.

Loved the fact we won, let's not forget we beat the reigning premiers this time last then had our worst season ever. We've got the 4 points, it's a good platform to build on.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gossy wrote:Well I guess that means that we are 169 points better than last season.

So if we add 169 points to the score of every game we played last season, we should finish first, with a record percentage, and win the flag. Beauty.
love your thinking :lol:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I thought our skill level was very good to say the least. At least our basic disposals were nearly perfect.

But the big difference from last year was the tackling and the second efforts. Sensational.

Also good to see that we didnt always look for Lloyd. When we ran forward, we look up and see both targets and actually kick it to the best one, not to who we think is the best player.

Good effort all round, but still 21 games to go.
Jetta, Davey, Winders as well, these kids with pace are really going to hurt opposition teams.

Also Goss, probably lock the match thread so all the reviews go in here.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

A great result. Good to see Scotty Lucas take off from where he was last year. Lloyd is looking very fit and Lovett and Davey look to be a dangerous combination even when they don't have the ball.

Welsh looks like he has improved his kicking but I am still unsure whether we can win a premiership with the likes of himself and Bradley.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Good game to start the year.

There were still quite a number of "head-in-hand oh god they are going to stuff this up" moments, but it was pretty good.

Jetta was excellent - got to remember that this is a kid playing against men. I was nothing but impressed. Ryder as well - boy has that kid come along.

The best part of course was the defensive pressure - tackles, chases, etc etc. Good to see that they have been working on their fitness over the off-season.

Now let's hope they don't get too far ahead of themselves.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Worth noting Crows lacked some big names.

Our team game was supurb. Our tackling was outstanding. Our Defence was rock solid. Our offence was deadly and played very smart. We controlled the tempo of the game with good skills and smart play.

The most pleasing thing for me though was 4 quarters of solid effort. Even when the Crows came back at us hard in the 4th we had belief.

This is a team that knows how to win.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Something we have improved has been our tackling and it showed yesterday when forward line pressure was applied. But, i dont think it is as good as it could be. We go for the hips but on many occasions the chance was there to pin the arms so they couldnt dispose of the ball but we just took the hips which allowed them to free the ball. but none the less a massive improvement!

Another thing is we started the quarters well in first 5-10 mins but didnt run them out to well.

Ryder i think should be kept in defence and we can find another ruckman somewhere else. He reads the ball so well for a 19yo? in about his 10th AFL game, imagine what he will be like after 100 games. He is only going to get bigger stronger and BETTER!

Jetta & Davey i think we all know about these blokes. The forward line pressure was brilliant and Leroy was a brave boy. Good Leadership from Scotty when Leroy got hit.. gave him some words of advice and he went back to slot the goal. Great signs from an 18yo debutant to do that.

2nd tier players were good. Winders starting to show something.
Slatts on the Birdman was very good i thought. Burton was lucky to get 1 goal when slatts supposedly chopped his arms.

all in all bring on Freo next week, they will be down and we will have high confidence, as long as we hit the ball hard there is no reason why we cannot win! especially if Pavlich is out!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:Worth noting Crows lacked some big names.

Our team game was supurb. Our tackling was outstanding. Our Defence was rock solid. Our offence was deadly and played very smart. We controlled the tempo of the game with good skills and smart play.

The most pleasing thing for me though was 4 quarters of solid effort. Even when the Crows came back at us hard in the 4th we had belief.

This is a team that knows how to win.
This is true Sismis, and equally pleasing was how our new players gelled with the rest of the team and contributed to a very good game plan. Something that was not evident at all last year.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

DYSON#2 wrote:

Something we have improved has been our tackling and it showed yesterday when forward line pressure was applied. But, i dont think it is as good as it could be. We go for the hips but on many occasions the chance was there to pin the arms so they couldnt dispose of the ball but we just took the hips which allowed them to free the ball. but none the less a massive improvement!

Another thing is we started the quarters well in first 5-10 mins but didnt run them out to well.

Ryder i think should be kept in defence and we can find another ruckman somewhere else. He reads the ball so well for a 19yo? in about his 10th AFL game, imagine what he will be like after 100 games. He is only going to get bigger stronger and BETTER!

Jetta & Davey i think we all know about these blokes. The forward line pressure was brilliant and Leroy was a brave boy. Good Leadership from Scotty when Leroy got hit.. gave him some words of advice and he went back to slot the goal. Great signs from an 18yo debutant to do that.

2nd tier players were good. Winders starting to show something.
Slatts on the Birdman was very good i thought. Burton was lucky to get 1 goal when slatts supposedly chopped his arms.

all in all bring on Freo next week, they will be down and we will have high confidence, as long as we hit the ball hard there is no reason why we cannot win! especially if Pavlich is out!

i was very impressed by this, and the way we seem to have a really good team structure now, also very pleasing to note, that we won every qtr, now that did not happen much last year. :D :D :D
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

All in all, it's hard to see any negatives.
Good defensive pressure, great signs from the kids and we won without Lloydy or Hirdy playing blinders. A great start.