JOBE....can he hack it?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

JOBE....can he hack it?

Post by tom9779 »

kicking is still woeful, some really bad decisions yesterday and a silly free which cost us a goal.

Did a couple of good couragous things, but really if you arent a good kick of the footy, how can you play at AFL level?

I thought we played reasonably well yesterday, but I also think the crows played really really badly.

I thought the general standard of the game was low(not lions v hawks low, but low nonetheless).

I guess it is only round 1.

First impressions, would there be any changes you would make for next weeks team?
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Showed that he is capable of AFL footy all last year. Everyone is entitled to a bad game once in a while and Jobe had one yesterday.

Definetely cant be dropped.
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

Watson's hands are sensational - to be honest, if he was the opposite to Lucas and handballed every time instead of kicking the thing, I'd be happy with that.

Ok, his kicking is particularly poor, but his vision in and around the packs is second only to Hird's. He's a very valuable asset to the team.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Can't believe after such a great win someone still wants to post negative crap!!!!

Jobe does his job for the team and thats get in and under and feed the thing out. The free kick was very soft!!!!!!
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

While Jobes kicking wasn't fantastic, he did some very good handballs to get us out of trouble. He has great vision and there was about three times we looked to be caught, but his nifty handball set someone up.

Jobe has the job of clearance man. He reads the ball well, has good hands and great vision. So we gets in to the backs and dishes it out to the running players like Winderlich, Stanton, Lovett etc.

Just one other thing. I haven't seen any statistics on it, but we seemed to dominate with the clearances yesterday.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Jobe didn't have his usual impact, and his kicking continues to be his achilles heal atm. It is really terrible!

But his ability to get the hardball in packs and dish it off with what I believe to be one of the most effective and accurate handballs in the game is and will continue to be an integral part of our engine room.

Sure, he could take the next step from being a servicable clearance man to a superstar midfielder if he improves his kicking, but he is definately in no any danger of being dropped at this stage.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He had a bad game yesterday but was still involved. He will play better than he did yesterday.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Wasn't Watson's best game but he will be a huge part of this team this year.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

Whenever Adeladie had a run on he injected himself in to the game, such as his excellent work in the third to tap the ball clear of the pack to set up a Lucas (I believe) goal.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Watsons hands are good enough to warrnet a spot. He might tunr the ball over 3 times with his feet, but will gives us first usage 6 times.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

While Jobe has his deficiencies, I find it odd asking whether he can hack it considering he came 2nd in our best & fairest last year.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Western Red wrote:Can't believe after such a great win someone still wants to post negative crap!!!!

Jobe does his job for the team and thats get in and under and feed the thing out. The free kick was very soft!!!!!!
not meant to be negative, but its pretty obvious he isn't using the ball as well as some of his team mates isn't it?

and its round 1, I am super happy with a win, parts of it were awesome.

but at times the standard was pretty average. I think adelaide will be disappointed with their efforts.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

No probs with Jobe. He might have had a poor game yesterday but has brilliant skills by hand.

He will be crucial for us throughout the year. Gives us first use of the ball a hell of a lot. He's not there yet - but he is our next Joe Misiti I reckon.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He more than makes up for his kicking by going in and getting his own possessions. He continually sends the ball our way from contested situations.

He led our contested possessions and tackling yesterday. I think he is hacking it just fine
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

tonysoprano wrote:No probs with Jobe. He might have had a poor game yesterday but has brilliant skills by hand.

He will be crucial for us throughout the year. Gives us first use of the ball a hell of a lot. He's not there yet - but he is our next Joe Misiti I reckon.
No he aint, thats for Stanton and not just because he wears 24. Stanton is a very good kick and a very penetrating one. He is a bloke who looks slow, yet doesnt get tackled and just racks up possessions at will. Almost reminds me of Robert Harvey (god I wish).

Watson has no confidence with his kicking, but he does have good hands. Needs to work on his icking more than ever right now, and get some confidence.

Its amazing thought because his father was such a beautiful kick of the footy.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I know what you're saying Rosso - agree completely with Stants being somewhat like R.Harvey. With Jobe I think he's more like Smokin Joe because of his use of handball. Anyway...either way Jobe is good and will get better. Stants is good and I still reckon he will win a Bronlow one day.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

just seems like he needs to trust himself with his kicking abit more. Awesome around the contests, and defensive pressure!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Jobe really does need to improve his kicking as we have players like Dyson, Houli, Heffernan and co in line for his spot. He is sensational with his hands though and gets us out of sticky situations 9 times out of 10!!
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Wrong era I know..... but Greg Williams did OK for himself running slow and not being able to kick over a jam tin.

I see no reason at the moment why Jobe can't function as the pivot for the center bounce and drift off to a forward flank or pocket, for Winderlich to do some dirty work around the ground.

I still see his hands and his decision making at close quarters his greatest strength. Anything else is a bonus as he rarely finds himself in too much space for too long anyways.

I think he had a handy game or two with Bendigo playing full forward last year, he might have kicked 4 or 5 in a game. Leading from a pocket might be an option??
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Hmm, Jobe's OK and doing a good job of what he's good at.
He ain't no Scotty West, but I don't hear too many people bagging him (West) for his kicking even though he rarely does kick it (his stats would be a mirror image of Scott Lucas' I reckon). Granted that West probably does use it better when he does kick it, but Jobe has time to improve.
Leave him alone I say.