The beauty of Mal Michael

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

The beauty of Mal Michael

Post by Rossoneri »

What we saw on Sunday is the what effect Thunder Thighs has on the team, regardless of how many touches he gets.
Last year, we were trying to free up Fletch by having Solly play defence. What was happening was Fletch still had to play very defensively even tough he was on the second forward as there was probably a lack on confidence by the club and Fletch on whoever had the main forward.

Enter Mountain...
Fletch now doesnt need to worry about that because the only bloke who could lay claim to be better than Fletch as a FB is playing in our defence. This frees Fletch up immensly, and when Fletcher has a free licence, we look so much more damaging.

Unlike Sheeds, I hate bringing up the past glory days but in 2000, when our defence was strong, Fletch was able to zone off and dominate the defence and set up numerous thrusts forward.

I reckon with Mal there, he will be able to do the same.

NB: No, im not suggesting we are like the team of 2000.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Well said.

Fletch racking up possessions like he did on the weekend will be a regular thing. Teams will prolly try and get Fletchs oppenent to drag him back to the goal square.

Big Mal should only get better with each game.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

The backline certainly did look at lot stronger with big Mal there. I remember Sheeds always talking about building a team from a close knit defence. Well the defence is looking quite good.
Slattery Mal Fletcher
Mcphee Ryder Mcveigh

This allows three talls to be kept quiet by Mal, Fletch and Ryder, in that order, or have Fletch just float across. Slattery takes the small, mcveigh tags a midfielder and Mcphee rebounds.