two WTF? moments...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

two WTF? moments...

Post by Megan »

Can anyone answer?

A) Since when did umpires ASK the player if they wanted to take a kick for goal again when they missed the first time? Such as when the ump asked Solly if he wanted another crack. I will rightfully assume that was for a free - in which case WTF was the free for? I couldn't see it but I was too busy hollering at the TV and drowning the commentators out (Else I might already know!) And anyway the umps are paid to umpire, not ask permission from the f****** players first?

B) WTF was with the ump who gave the free to Freo after a shocker pushed our boy (ahhh I forget who but it was one of the younger ones) into the shocker kneeling on the ground? I'm all for protecting the head and neck of the players with their head over the ball but... c'mon... if you could SEE he ran into him surely you could SEE he was fricking pushed?

The umpiring was all over the damn shop today. Fits and starts, very shocker biased sometimes, and we got some soft ones our way too in stages. No good pissing and moaning about the umpiring, but damn. Felt like they were at their erratic best today.

And Solly's report wont even make it past video - absolutely nothing in it.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: two WTF? moments...

Post by Jazz_84 »

Megan wrote:
B) WTF was with the ump who gave the free to Freo after a shocker pushed our boy (ahhh I forget who but it was one of the younger ones) into the shocker kneeling on the ground? I'm all for protecting the head and neck of the players with their head over the ball but... c'mon... if you could SEE he ran into him surely you could SEE he was fricking pushed?
can't answer thats one, i was blowing up about that. i noticed today the umpires must have been looking at something else at some moments
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The one that had me most annoyed was the free kick paid against Davey to Sandilands in the 3rd (i think). The free kick was there and i don't have a problem with it, but after the contest the ball rolled away and Davey and all the Essendon players stopped stone dead. The ball is picked up by a Freo player about 10 metres away from where the contest was about 2 seconds later, and then the umpire calls play on to advantage. The Freo player then passes it to a bloke inside the 50 and i think they converted it to a goal.

What the f*** was that!? I'm pretty sure that the rule is, if a player is awarded a free kick but all the players around the contest stop, then you can't then call play on to advantage after the players have stopped. You have to bring the ball back and Sandilands should've taken his kick from where Davey was standing the mark.....
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I think 5 50's were awarded today and I'm unsure any of them were really legit. There was some very strange umpiring happening today.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah like i said earlier today i hope everyone has said their goodbyes to contested footy

and the rules about all thes 50's been given away for pushing someone 1 second after a mark is just plain soft, i mean this is AFL not netball
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

What about the one in the Q3 I think, bench wing, where our player crossed the mark. It was one of our players with the free or mark, and our player that ran across the line.
The ump bought it back and said that that wasn't allowed? It's not allowed if the opposition player crosses...but your own team?
Anyhow, the ball was bought back, when it was already our advantage...turnover and freo goal within 30 secs or so. :evil:
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

That bloke with the hat.... Oh my god.

I will refrain myself this time...
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Jazz_84 wrote:yeah like i said earlier today i hope everyone has said their goodbyes to contested footy
l
Spot on.

To add to the 'WTF Moments' list - i don't know about anyone else, but I thought the 50 metre penalty to Hird in the 3rd quarter was more like 60 metres! Did anyone else think the same?
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I thought it was around 45 Staggy.

It happened in our half of the center circle and he went about 10-15 inside the forward 50.... From what i saw anyway.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Gossy7 wrote:I thought it was around 45 Staggy.

It happened in our half of the center circle and he went about 10-15 inside the forward 50.... From what i saw anyway.
Was definately their half of the centre. Just watched the replay - and he took the mark into about 35 metres out.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

I thought the decision against Ryder in the 3rd quarter was a shocker. He clearly hit the ball first and did not interfere with the player. Resulted in a goal. There were soft frees both ways today, kind of evened itself out. But that was a definite WTF moment.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Umpiring was moronic. The guy with the cap on, was clearly out of his mind.
Its another clear peice of evidence, that Umpring and the rules are the onyl flaws within the AFL. Two teams playing ver good football, which was enjoyable. However, we cannot enjoy it because of stupid umpiring.

Its nto mistakes anymore. Its the absence of common sense.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Essendon4eva wrote:Umpiring was moronic. The guy with the cap on, was clearly out of his mind.
Its another clear peice of evidence, that Umpring and the rules are the onyl flaws within the AFL. Two teams playing ver good football, which was enjoyable. However, we cannot enjoy it because of stupid umpiring.
so true, the afl is going in the wrong direction with out a doubt
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

They seemed to concentrate alot of the chopping of the arms rule today as alot of free kicks came from those situations.

The holding the ball rule is all over the shop.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

merc_2 wrote:I thought the decision against Ryder in the 3rd quarter was a shocker. He clearly hit the ball first and did not interfere with the player. Resulted in a goal. There were soft frees both ways today, kind of evened itself out. But that was a definite WTF moment.
Dont get me wrong I hate the umpires and think that they are a pack of bias cheating filth and todays effort was some of the worst shit I have seen but...

That Ryder decision was correct... He took his eye off the ball and made contact with the Freo player meaning that a free kick is the result whether he made contact with the ball or not.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Dont get me wrong I hate the umpires and think that they are a pack of bias cheating filth and todays effort was some of the worst shit I have seen but...

That Ryder decision was correct... He took his eye off the ball and made contact with the Freo player meaning that a free kick is the result whether he made contact with the ball or not.
yeah i have to agree, Ryder did the wrong thing here by taking eyes off the ball, should never take eyes off the ball simple as that and im sure he will learn that
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

In defense of the spineless maggots, I noticed quite a few of the poor decisions today occured when the umpires were looking into the sun-lit area of the ground while they themselves were in the shade, and vice-verca.

I think Mr Wayne (this stadium will be Worlds best practice) Jackson should be as much to blame as the umpires.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

The problems starts at the top and goes right through to the bottom.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

Essendon4eva wrote:The problems starts at the top and goes right through to the bottom.
Sounds like a weekend on the turps and curries.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

In true Wiggles style... all I can say is "WAKE UP JEFF!!"
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant