Stressful Times

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Stressful Times

Post by Madden »

<rant>

I hate to bring this up amid the euphoria of the great win today, but something is making me really stressed - Carlton next week.

I am more stressed about that game because we won today. I have got a theory that in the first Ess/Carl game of the year, the team that is "going better" always always ALWAYS loses. I challenge anyone to think of a game in recent times that this wasn't the case. When we are up - we lose. When Carlton are up - they lose.

Now we are going well, and it is stressing me out. I can stand a lot of things: broken limbs, family members in hospital, car accident etc, but i CANNOT stand losing to Carlton. Nothing gets me more irritated.

So, Essendon, for the love of god, just f**king win next week.

Thoughts?

</rant>
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I only said to a mate last night Staggy - 14 teams see Carlton as a gimme game these days. We are the only team those bastards can and usually do beat when they suck.

God I hope we beat them, I want that monkey off of our back.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I think the problem in recent years is the fact we get into a good position and run out of steam, and despite them not having an abundance of quality midfielders they have had an abundance of midfielders who just run over the top of us. Now that we are running out games the way we have been I see no reason why we can't well and truely smash them this week comming.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

this year is different we look totally opposide from last year and we are in the habit of breaking hoo doo's at the moment, enjoy it mate!
Last edited by Jazz_84 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

We will kill the scum next week.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

robbie67 wrote:We will kill the scum next week.
agree - 10 goal drubbing
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

I still remember a season or 2 ago we were up against Carlton by 30 pts at the start of the 4th and lost the game by 4pts. :(

But I dont think this Essendon outfit will lose to Carlton this week. This team is not taking anything for granted.

Expect the Dons to come out all guns blazing next week.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

We have meant to thrash them on previous occasions but that never eventuated but how can we lose with the way the two teams are situated atm. They are our bogey side but we should absolutely smash the shit out of them but I always have doubts but must remain positive.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

robbie67 wrote:We will kill the scum next week.
We would f***ing want to.

And all kids posing here - its not just a recent thing (last few years) where we have been losing to Carlton - they are a club that has systematically got the best of us over the past 10+ years.

And mainly, the main reason we lose to them all the time - complacency. It's got nothing to do with specific personnel, as that has changed significantly over the years. It's because when we are going well we see Carlton as a gimme game, get cocky, and ***k up.

We are doing really well - but don't kid yourselves, next week is a real danger game folks.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

My thoughts exactly Staggy. We have had a problem with our early game against Carlton for most of this decade (mind you, those turds have won 3 spoons in five years). In the wash up of those seasons, it's that game against Carlton - the one we shouldn't have lost - that has cost us dearly.

I'm sure the coaching staff are aware of this, and I'll be hugely disappointed if they let this one slip as well. If we just maintain our pressure in tackling and chasing, I'm sure we will secure our third win of the season.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

well it's a good thing that the f****** deluded Blues fans probably think they are going better than us then isn't it!!
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

A belting is all i'm after.

We always seem to come 'undone' after a good win and play like crap against the next opposition
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

The loss to Carlton last year really smashed the little confidence we had left and totally f***** our season even more than it should have been.

We can not afford such a limp performance again as it could again seriously derail what looks to be a promising year ... SO FAR!!!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Here is the difference between this team and the team that struggled to beat Carlscum the last few season. We have hunger, speed and we are healthy.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Over the years there have been a few players that have clinched the win for them.

They include:
Campo...not this time, and not again.
Whitnal...not the way he's been playing. Hopefully he won't be played into form. Lucas should see to that!
Kouta...isn't he out?
Fevola...MM and Fletch might change that.
Lappin. How and why???

Complacency lost us the 99pf but it's been something else since then that's lost us a few games. I don't know what?

We won in 2005 by 99 pts...I can't remember the details of players and matchups then, and I have wondered why that isn't the case most times we play them.

See, I doing the complacency thing myself :shock:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's always a danger game but if the side is in the right mindset then there is no way Carlton can beat us.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I'll let the coaches and players worry about "getting up". I'll just be complacent. Kill them I tell ya.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Good news is that this time around, Fevola is clearly playing injured, Whitnall is playing terribly and the areas we're vulnerable in (primarily our ruck) are also areas they're not good at.

Last year when we played and lost to Carlton, Fletcher and McVeigh were late withdrawals, Hird went off injured midway through the first quarter, Lloyd wasn't there and Reynolds was standing Fevola. This year, all of Lloyd, Fletcher, Hird and McVeigh are playing so far and are in great form (although Fletch did get a knock today). I'm absolutely confident that the team as it stands as the moment will be too good for Carlton next week.

The threats as i perceive them are this:
1. We've played 2 successive games in mid-20 degree heat and that takes its toll. We'll be playing Carlton on a six day turnaround so we need to be on our game early, rather than flat from 2 weeks of playing in warm conditions.
2. Fletcher received some sort of niggle out of today's match during the third quarter. I hate to say it, but how often does Fletcher miss with a little niggle here or there? Please for the love of christ Fletch, be fit for Saturday's match.
3. The complacency issue. We've won two games we weren't supposed to, so hopefully the young 'uns especially don't get ahead of themselves.

But i think we'll beat them this year. Not thrash them, but them well.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

Bottom line is, we are a totally different side to last year. We have all of the regular old faces on the park that we need to, plus new faces like Mal, Leroy and Alwyn just fitting in quite nicely. Carlton are probably in the worst shape that they have been in all year and look like getting worse. It will be, on form, one of the biggest upsets this year if we lose to these f****** wankers!!!!!!!!!!!

And anyway, I live with a Carlton supporter and I will just about neck myself if we lose. I cant stand it. Losing to carlton is just the worst feeling an Essendon fan can have!!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

The trouble is no matter how we are travelling Carlton always always lift to beat us. No matter whether they are rock bottom they will lift. They could lose 21 out of 22 but will still play well against us. I think its something to do with 1968, 1993 and 1999. Both clubs have 16 flags each so they see us as their most hated rival.

Things we need to watch for - Fevola and ,if he plays, believe it or not Whitnall. Both of these normally play well against us. We will need to plug the hole so Fevola cant lead and do those dives a la the Nab Cup. His dive the other day would put Christiano Ronaldo to shame.

We must sustain that fantastic mid field pressure that has been so good thus far.

GO BOMBERS !!! It was so heartening to win yesterday.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber