Style of play

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Style of play

Post by Gossy7 »

I love it!

The fast, attacking, free flowing sort of game plan we are playing is absoulutely fantastic.

In retrospect I think we play like the Dogs in the fact that we use the ball quickly.

We pushed our flanks up at times today to the wings to create space, and at one stage i saw we had 3 wings on the one side which was interesting.

We used the City side very very well. Numerous times we got the ball out there and had a lot of room to run with it.

Lovett had a few bursts through the middle, Winderlich as well, Jetta had one and kicked a beauty, it was all so encouraging and exciting to see, i loved it! And i think this is the main difference between this year and last year. A bloke rang up on the radio tonight and said something about while Solly and Rioli were good players, they were'nt exactly the quickest in the team. Now personally, i'd much rather Jetta and Davey in than Solly and Rioli for sure.

I think Pavlich played very well for Freo. He ran Fletcher up and back, up and back, even when there was nothing there. He ran and ran and ran, and i think Fletch was very tired, which makes his game even more better. Michael certainly helps, but his 'closing speed' they call it wasnt too great today. But Tarrant is quick. I would have liked to see McPhee moved to Tarrant, and Michael on Pavlich, therefore Fletch was loose, or had a lesser opponent from those two.

I think we should have always been around 2 more goals up on Freo. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters, i reckon we could have really blown it out, but it didnt matter in the end anyway.

To beat two of last years top four is a bloody good effort, i'm just hoping that we keep in perspective and give Carlton a bath next weekend!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What a difference it makes when you;

a) have a game plan
b) have a purpose
c) have belief
d) have pace
e) have skill
f) have the players to execute it

It's early days yet....but so far so good. Some of the new kids will play poor games and we will lose some matches (these are facts that we have to accept), but it's how they rebound that really matters. A new attitude has been injected into the club and it is quite obvious.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

it is very encouraging to see us play this way. with some passion and pride, so good to see us run and tackle like we are the moment. i know Jetta and Davey are new but man our boys can learn something from these guys it's great to see!!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I liked the fact that we were challenged and had the mettle to go on with it.

It was a great effort and I hope the team is just as switched on next week.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

We are running in packs, and backing ourselves. The only time it is hurting us is when our execution is poor and we turn it over. Because we are backing ourselves, we are conceding goals on the counter attack when we cant get back quick enough. BUT, I would much rather us be doing this, then playing any other way.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robbie67 wrote:We are running in packs, and backing ourselves. The only time it is hurting us is when our execution is poor and we turn it over. Because we are backing ourselves, we are conceding goals on the counter attack when we cant get back quick enough. BUT, I would much rather us be doing this, then playing any other way.
Like the Swans for example??

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

I dont know about anyone else, but it feels like there is starting to be a little bit of the OLD essendon beginning to creep into our play. By old, i dont mean the last couple of years. I mean 99,2000,2001. Confidence in skills and team mates, sticking to a game plan and it looks like they are running on top of the ground intsead of 6 inches unedr it. Looking very quick. It is great to see and I hope it continues. I know we will have some downers, but regardless of what happens for the rest of the year, finals or not, the signs are there that we will be back very soon!!!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

robbie67 wrote:We are running in packs, and backing ourselves. The only time it is hurting us is when our execution is poor and we turn it over. Because we are backing ourselves, we are conceding goals on the counter attack when we cant get back quick enough. BUT, I would much rather us be doing this, then playing any other way.
And so far this year, we havent really stuffed up with our disposal. We make the odd mistake but often its via a long kick into our forward line, so we are still able to get back in time.

If we are gong to win by 30 points, id rather it be 140-110 than 80-50
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!