Expect to see

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

Good post filthy.

Great to see Laycock finally go well. A few more games under the belt and away he goes.

Winders, gus, Davey and Slatts were great yesterday, and can only improve.

I say give Gumbleton, Houli or Hislop a go for Welsh. Can't hurt can it?? Early times and side full of confidence. Get them in there now.

Don't know about CJ. Strange one. Maybe could use him of the bench as an impact player in the forward line. But at the moment, he might just have to wait. Anyone else got any theorys??
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Chook was extremely impressive - if he had of kicked straight we would have iced the game much sooner. Backlines will be shitting themselves given the class, speed, and endeavour of our forwards.

Nat-rad or Houli for Welsh - we need to build our speed! What we lack in polish we certainly can make up with pressure, chase and tackling, as was demonstrated in the first 2 games this year.

Jobe needs to hit more targets by foot - :roll: this will happen as his confidence grows.

Carlton will come at us - as they always do! We need to keep the game plan and RUN! RUN! RUN!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Laycock got blitzed when he went in the ruck against Aaron the Giant, but that's no great shame i suppose (Hille was also thrashed). He at least looked agile and more than capable of contributing around the ground when he wasn't in the ruck. It'll be interesting to see who's the number 1 ruck if Laycock can string a few games together - will we stick with Hille, or will Laycock gazump him?

Dyson was apparently amongst our best in the VFL this week and so may replace Welsh, depending on the fitness situation of NLM.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Going on the radio broadcast and the continual praise coming from (yes it was a shock to me) Robert Walls about how good Laycock was during the game against Freo, had he kicked straight sounds like he would have gone close to votes. Must have played a ripper.

Sheeds said in his post match PC that Laycock was an excellent player and essentially hasn't been able to "play" since THAT ANZAC Day match. If he stays fit, our ruck division suddenly looks a lot better. Especially with Ryder stepping up around the ground (by all reports).

Re: Carlton - do we have someone to shut down Fevola? If we close him down, half the battle is won. The rest of the game will be won in the middle by the youngsters (theirs versus ours).

Re: Welsh - Has he been playing in the forward line? He's been named in the forward line the last couple of weeks. If so, you'd imagine someone like Houli or Dyson would slot in ahead of NLM, wouldn't you? (I would have thought so). Although, will Jetta, Davey and Houli be asking too much of the young brigade?
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Boyler_Room wrote:Re: Carlton - do we have someone to shut down Fevola? If we close him down, half the battle is won. The rest of the game will be won in the middle by the youngsters (theirs versus ours).
That's the difference between last year and this year.

Last year when we played Carlton and lost, we had Reynolds standing Fevola (remember the uproar over that!). Fletcher was a late withdrawal from the team on that fateful day. This year, we've got a choice of Michael or Fletcher, and perhaps even McPhee as a back up if those two get beaten. Also Fevola is playing with a bung knee and is well below his best, which naturally works in our favour.

One more thing RE Fevola. Last year, although Reynolds was never going to be a good option, Fevola probably would've kicked a bag on anyone because as i recall there was absolutely zilch pressure on Carlton's midfielders as they were delivering the ball to him. Reynolds was a sitting duck most of the time and i'm not sure Fletcher could've done much more. This year, based on the first two rounds, we'll apply much more midfield pressure to the Blues which will hopefully stop Carlton's ability to deliver the ball to him exactly as needed.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Filthy wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:Laycock got blitzed when he went in the ruck against Aaron the Giant, but that's no great shame i suppose (Hille was also thrashed). He at least looked agile and more than capable of contributing around the ground when he wasn't in the ruck. It'll be interesting to see who's the number 1 ruck if Laycock can string a few games together - will we stick with Hille, or will Laycock gazump him?

Dyson was apparently amongst our best in the VFL this week and so may replace Welsh, depending on the fitness situation of NLM.
Everybody gets blitzed by a 7' tall bloke....at least we were won the clearances.
.........Hence why i said it was no great shame :wink:. Sandilands will beat up on just about every ruckman this year. Most oppositions will be reduced to trying to shark his taps as we were yesterday.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Sandilands is not only the tallest player in the league, but the boy can actually play football. He's agile for a big fella, can guide taps effectively, provides a link option and has football skills. As you say, jimmy, all you can do is try to read his taps better than the Freo players and beat them to the drop of the ball. Not many players are going to out tap Sandilands.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:Re: Carlton - do we have someone to shut down Fevola? If we close him down, half the battle is won. The rest of the game will be won in the middle by the youngsters (theirs versus ours).

Last year when we played Carlton and lost, we had Reynolds standing Fevola (remember the uproar over that!). Fletcher was a late withdrawal from the team on that fateful day. This year, we've got a choice of Michael or Fletcher, and perhaps even McPhee as a back up if those two get beaten. Also Fevola is playing with a bung knee and is well below his best, which naturally works in our favour.

One more thing RE Fevola. Last year, although Reynolds was never going to be a good option, Fevola probably would've kicked a bag on anyone because as i recall there was absolutely zilch pressure on Carlton's midfielders as they were delivering the ball to him. Reynolds was a sitting duck most of the time and i'm not sure Fletcher could've done much more. This year, based on the first two rounds, we'll apply much more midfield pressure to the Blues which will hopefully stop Carlton's ability to deliver the ball to him exactly as needed.
But he also, he kicked 5 goals in the return match last year - with a busted finger! He also kicked 5 goals in the NAB cup a few weeks ago - with Mal Michael and Fletcher in the team!

He might be a knob, but I reckon he is a top footballer. His efforts last season were outstanding considering their patheticness. He is a thorn in our side, and whoever stands him, will have their hands full.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Pity sleepy Jeff doesn't have a clue on how to instruct umpires to officiate a match. There'll be no more seagulls... but plenty of martians.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Fevola won't be much of a problem, we have plenty of options. Reynolds played on him and then it was Solly in the 2nd match so we certainly have better options.

Has everyone forgotten Jason Johnson is still to return!!!
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Will he return Rob? I thought he was another 2-3 weeks away... :?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Didn't he play in the VFL. Maybe a couple more weeks.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:

But he also, he kicked 5 goals in the return match last year - with a busted finger! He also kicked 5 goals in the NAB cup a few weeks ago - with Mal Michael and Fletcher in the team!

He might be a knob, but I reckon he is a top footballer. His efforts last season were outstanding considering their patheticness. He is a thorn in our side, and whoever stands him, will have their hands full.
Yeah i know Benny, but some things to consider:
- In the match we drew with Carlton where Fevola kicked 5 with a broken finger, Fletcher didn't play again. Solomon stood him and was way too slow. So last year we played Fevola twice without Fletcher.
- In the NAB Cup, he got 2 or 3 of his 5 goals from soft free kicks. I didn't think he was all that good.
- His knee is stuffed. For a guy who relies more than anything on his burst of speed off the mark, his knee injury is a big impediment. He injured it in the GF of the NAB Cup, and since then has kicked 3 goals in 2 weeks. I've got no doubt he's well below par with this knee.

I agree he's a good player, but this time i'm confident for the abovementioned reasons that he won't sink us. My major concern is that Fletcher picked up some sort of leg injury in the 3rd quarter of yesterday's match and Fletch sometimes struggles with those sorts of niggles, so it's imperative that he gets himself right to play by Saturday.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

There is also the fact that we had more scoring options up forward, more importantly. All we have to do is virtually shut down Fevola, but they have to worry about Lloyd, Lucas, Laycock, McVeigh, Davey, Lovett and perhaps Hird...
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:There is also the fact that we had more scoring options up forward, more importantly. All we have to do is virtually shut down Fevola, but they have to worry about Lloyd, Lucas, Laycock, McVeigh, Davey, Lovett and perhaps Hird...
Precisely. To use inverted logic about the importance of Fevola, you could say that him being such a big factor is actually a negative for the Blues. He kicked eight when we lost to them by 5 goals (with us having massive injury concerns), we drew with him kicking five and then lost by less than a goal with him kicking five again in the NAB Cup. So going on that, if we can restrict him to 6 goals or less, they're f***** :lol:!
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:

Ah f*** it!! In the old Federal League he'd wake up after the game after being hit a seagull. 8)

Filthy, I have to ask: Who did you follow/play with in the old Federal League?
The Don
Top Up Player

Re: Expect to see

Post by The Don »

Filthy wrote:
But most of all............BEAT f****** CARLTON.....ITS PAYBACK TIME.
Nice Sentiment Filthy- What about Scott Camporeale, knows most of the Carlton Boys pretty well, he would have to be in contention for selection if fit.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:Played with Parkdale Swooper. :wink:

Two blues? My old man's a life member at Highett, played with them in the 60s. I have some very old pics of me as a toddler in the old style bulldogs jumper :oops:
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:
swooper wrote:

Two blues? My old man's a life member at Highett, played with them in the 60s. I have some very old pics of me as a toddler in the old style bulldogs jumper :oops:
Yep the Dales 2 Blues....Highett was ALWAYS a tough game especially up there. She was the toughest League I played in Swooper!! :wink:
Yeah, judging by some of the stuff I've been told over the years it sounded pretty brutal Filthy...
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:
swooper wrote:
Filthy wrote:
swooper wrote:

Yep the Dales 2 Blues....Highett was ALWAYS a tough game especially up there. She was the toughest League I played in Swooper!! :wink:
Yeah, judging by some of the stuff I've been told over the years it sounded pretty brutal Filthy...
Yeah it was mate. I had a permanent booking at Sandy Hospital Casualty every Saturday night and my 3 front teeth are somewhere around CHF the City end on Parkdale Oval courtesy of some dog from Chelt....and I was wearing a Boxers mouth guard!! Crowns are so expensive.

And the AFL Maggots would have absolutely shit themselves trying to umpire it!!! :D
Mum recalls a game where dad was carted off with stopmarks on his face while his brother-in-law was trying to break the perps arm over the fencerail!
AS for the AFL Maggots, they would shit themselves even umpiring an Eastern District U/18 game!