Suggested changes for Welsh

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
On the Rookie List

Suggested changes for Welsh

Post by 84859300 »

Given that Welsh looked to have damaged his hammy and be out for a little while, who do people think could come in for him seeing he has undertaken a fair run on role for two rounds.

Given we have quite a bit of talent in Bendigo at the moment, keeping in mind the match ups we need to get over Carlton, what do we need for round 3 that will make us better than the NAB loss 6 odd weeks ago.

I'd like to see Ricky Dyson back in as I think that his game from last years suits what the team has been playing this year, the best. He can match Welsh with run and I can't remember him getting too lost playing in the back 6 last year.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Dyson, Dempsey? Campo too slow...
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Sheedy said in his press conference after yesterday's game that Dyson will get a game soon, so he's very much in the mix (if you take Sheedy at face value, which is admittedly a dangerous thing to do). The other obvious one is NLM, the late withdrawal from yesterday's match.

I suspect one of those two will come in to replace Welsh, or both of them could play and Sheedy might drop someone like a Jetta or a Heffernan. I'm not saying that Heffo deserves to be dropped on yesterday's effort, but i think he was brought in specifically to toughen up our tackling abilities against Freo (which worked a treat) and he might be used in a 'hitman' type capacity this year. As regards Jetta, i wouldn't be surprised if Sheeds dropped him just so he can get a breather and cool his heels. Jetta's been good, he's tasted the big time, but it maybe Sheedy might give him a break in the two's and play a guy like Dyson.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

While I've been an early critic of Welsh (based on last year's odd form), he will be missed. He started the season very well and it's a shame he been struck down with this hammy. I honestly don't know who will replace him, but going on form, Dyson should be given the nod.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Wouldn't surprise if Campo gets the nod to have a crack at his old team.

But I would think Lovett Murray depending on what was wrong with him Sunday to pull out.
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Geelong stretched Carlton's backline on Saturday night.

At one stage Mooney, Nathan Ablett and Hawkins were all down in the goalsquare.

Would we go that way ourselves?
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I think we can without the need to include Johns.

The use of Laycock/Hille as a tall forward will stretch most defences.

Especially when you can chuck a Hird down there as well who needs to be looked after a top defender.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Dyson seems the logical choice to replace Welsh.

What was NLM's problem?
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Dyson had a good game with Bendigo. Would expect him to come in for Welsh.

Bring even more pace in to the team.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Sheedy said in his press conference after yesterday's game that Dyson will get a game soon, so he's very much in the mix (if you take Sheedy at face value, which is admittedly a dangerous thing to do). The other obvious one is NLM, the late withdrawal from yesterday's match.

I suspect one of those two will come in to replace Welsh, or both of them could play and Sheedy might drop someone like a Jetta or a Heffernan. I'm not saying that Heffo deserves to be dropped on yesterday's effort, but i think he was brought in specifically to toughen up our tackling abilities against Freo (which worked a treat) and he might be used in a 'hitman' type capacity this year. As regards Jetta, i wouldn't be surprised if Sheeds dropped him just so he can get a breather and cool his heels. Jetta's been good, he's tasted the big time, but it maybe Sheedy might give him a break in the two's and play a guy like Dyson.
Absolutely no chance of Jetta or Heff being dropped - both played brilliant cameos on the weekend.

Dyson or NLM will come in for Welsh. Pumped already.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Pazza wrote:Geelong stretched Carlton's backline on Saturday night.

At one stage Mooney, Nathan Ablett and Hawkins were all down in the goalsquare.

Would we go that way ourselves?
I think our forward line is functioning very well at the moment, particularly with accuracy (which was shithouse last year). We have height, class and pace in the form of Lloyd, Lucas, McVeigh, Monfries, Lovett, Davey, Jetta and a Laycock/Hille or Hird that will be enough to keep their back line busy...
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Definitely Dyson, you'd have to think.

And I'm happy to see the Cock play predominantly as the 3rd tall. Really showed something up forward against Freo. Could easily have had 4 or 5 if the radar was working
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

F111 wrote:Dyson seems the logical choice to replace Welsh.

What was NLM's problem?
I think it was reported as groin soreness.

If Sheeds was to drop Jetta/Davey for a breather - i'd like to see Houli be given a go.

On a side topic, when do you think Neagle is going to make his debut? He kicked 5 last week in the 2's and can be seen as another forward option. He's about 190 cm and looks like he is being groomed for a KP role.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

2QIK4U wrote:
F111 wrote:Dyson seems the logical choice to replace Welsh.

What was NLM's problem?
I think it was reported as groin soreness.

If Sheeds was to drop Jetta/Davey for a breather - i'd like to see Houli be given a go.

On a side topic, when do you think Neagle is going to make his debut? He kicked 5 last week in the 2's and can be seen as another forward option. He's about 190 cm and looks like he is being groomed for a KP role.
if lloydy or scotty go down? that would be my guess, otherwise there is nowhere to put him
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Wouldn't mind seeing how dyson goes, i like the fact he has to work for selection it reminds me of mcveigh in his younger days. Houli also deserves a shot he was superb in the lead up games and i thought he was more worthy of a debut than jetta actually.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Dyson. Played well for Bendigo (one of the few in the midfield). Was prepared to run with the ball, and follow us his passes with second efforts. As for another tall option, I think as others have said, the resting ruckman will play down there. If Hirdy is around there too, then Hird, Lloyd, Lucas, Laycock is a pretty tall forward line.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I'm hoping a spot opens up for Bacha
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

In: Dyson