Pat Smith article.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Pat Smith article.

Post by BERT »

KEVIN SHEEDY is doing it again. Reinventing the Bombers.
His club sits in second place on the ladder with two victories that have excited not just Essendon fans but football supporters in general. Sheedy is in his 27th year as coach. He may not have done the job any better than he is doing it right now.

The way Essendon is playing this season bears no resemblance to what the club did last year. After two rounds Essendon is undefeated and in second place. Last year it won just three matches and drew another with the village idiot, Carlton.

The strengths of Essendon in 2007 have generally been identified. The team is quicker with the speed of new players Alwyn Davey and Leroy Jetta, the tackling has improved, and Mal Michael is helping at the back. It is how all these elements are being put together that is the key to the Essendon revolution.

The tackling improvement has hardly come by chance. If Essendon runs three training sessions a week, a segment of two of them would be devoted to a tackling drill devised by assistant coach Dean Wallis.

The players do the routine in groups of six and in a confined space. A player with the ball must try to beat a team-mate standing five metres in front of him. If the player with the ball looks as though he might break the tackle, a third Essendon player will come in and a gang tackle is completed. Each player does it four times and then the group of six rotated.

What is extraordinary about this drill is the heavy repetition and absence of tackling bags. No player wears protective equipment. It is body on body.

Michael's recruitment has allowed Sheedy to free up Dustin Fletcher, and the Bombers have tried to settle their back six of Mark Johnson, Michael, Patrick Ryder, Adam McPhee, Fletcher and Mark McVeigh. Henry Slattery is on standby to relieve the workload. As well, the two wingers push back to make an eight-man defence. The midfield mix of David Hille, Jason Laycock, Damien Peverill, James Hird, Jobe Watson and Jason Winderlich does not often push deep into attack. Winderlich provides the speed, Peverill the tag. With four midfielders and eight defenders, Essendon has a rolling 12-man defence that controls the back half.

Sheedy has dramatically changed the way the club will move the ball from defence. Unlike the modern trend of running the ball out in waves of handballs, Essendon is instructed to spread the ball with 20 to 30-metre kicks. That Sheedy has turned this part of Essendon's game plan on its head is apparent in the statistics. This year the Bombers are first in kicks and marks and last in handballs. Last year it was 10th in both kicks and marks but sixth in handballs.

Essendon has had 469 kicks this year and just 203 handballs. In winning the grand final last year the Eagles ran up 198 kicks and 175 handballs. As I said, it is a revolution at Windy Hill.

It is from the centre onwards that Sheedy has dramatically changed the forward setup. Essendon does not play with a traditional centre half-forward. Sheedy has established Jetta, Davey and Andy Lovett across half-forward. The injured Courtney Dempsey, small and quick, is being groomed to help out as well. It is a very quick and unpredictable collection of players that fully tests opposition resources.

Essendon uses these fast players as targets about 60 to 70m out from goal. In the jargon of football they are hitup men. Once they get the ball their job is to find Matthew Lloyd or Scott Lucas.

Lloyd will start in the goalsquare and Lucas close by. The two key forwards will move up the ground and the hitup men look to find them in the space created at the back.

Andrew Welsh has been turned from a defender into a forward. He has a specific task and that is to make life easier for Lloyd and Lucas. A replacement will have to be found for Welsh because he has a strained hamstring, but the role will not change.

The two best opposition defenders will take on Lloyd and Lucas, and Welsh's job was to draw the third defender - make him accountable and not allow him to assist his team-mates on Lucas and Lloyd. Against Adelaide in round one Welsh drew Nathan Bassett away from Lucas and the Bomber forward kicked seven goals. Welsh even kicked one himself.

There are variations on all of this, of course. Essendon likes to release Lovett to a stoppage in the back half and get the ball to him. With his speed he can break through the centre of the ground, as he did three times against Fremantle. The Bombers will play tempo football and Lloyd and Lucas will push out of the 50m arc to help use the ball when they do. And Hille or Laycock can push forward into attack and not back to fill the hole in defence.

And then there is John Barnes. Essendon uses him as its on-field coach and there is a theory he calls the plays at stoppages. He will often start on the wing and move into the opposition forward line. He can be as effective as a 19th man.

Sheedy has been coach of the international team. Observers say he spent his time talking to players and picking their brains. There are certainly elements of the Gaelic game that are evident in Essendon's modus operandi. Small and quick players, movement more by foot than hand.

I said before the season that Sheedy was one to watch this year. He is a master coach in the last year of his contract. I should have been more emphatic. Don't take your eyes off him.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i love it how he pumps up sheeds.

watching modern AFL is amazing. i don't know how they do it so well sometimes.(move the footy)
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I am not liking the way the media has been talking us up this week. Sure, we are going well so far, but we finished 15th last year and its only Round 2. Lets not get collectively too far ahead of ourselves.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm just hoping the players don't get caught up in all of it.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:I am not liking the way the media has been talking us up this week. Sure, we are going well so far, but we finished 15th last year and its only Round 2. Lets not get collectively too far ahead of ourselves.
This is what im worried about.

However, it seems that Lloydy rules down there with an iron fist and doesnt allow for players to get ahead of themselves.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Rossoneri wrote:
Staggy wrote:I am not liking the way the media has been talking us up this week. Sure, we are going well so far, but we finished 15th last year and its only Round 2. Lets not get collectively too far ahead of ourselves.
This is what im worried about.

However, it seems that Lloydy rules down there with an iron fist and doesnt allow for players to get ahead of themselves.
Yeah Ross. He's been really impressive with his leadership this year. Definately keeping a lid on things. Hope it continues. :wink:
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I like the fact that Sheeds is clearly more focused this season than he was last year... and perhaps we're starting to reap the rewards. Only time will tell, and the next few weeks will say a lot.

If we can be 4-0 after St. Kilda then anything can happen. We must keep the winning attitude going to re-establish that "culture" that Essendon is so very proud of. There's a monkey on our back. It's time to give it the flick.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Two very interesting articles and I like the sounds of both of them. If there is anything Sheedy has proven it is that he can reinvent Essendon into a premiership team. I have no doubt he can do it again.

In regards to the players getting ahead of themselves, as was said, I think they (especially Lloyd) will be well aware of that, and making sure it is not to happen.

Also very interesting to hear that Gumby and Hislop may be debuting in the next few weeks. Maybe that'll be the change for this weekend, although Hislop hasn't played for a few weeks.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Both were good articles to read and I particularly liked the Greg Denham article and Filthy's highlights.

Interesting to hear that Gumby & Hislop are being talked up.

What has happened to Houli?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Precisely. I wanted us to win our first two games but not nearly as much as I want us to play finals footy and there's a long way to go before that happens.

That said, it's nice to be excited based on a couple of good wins rather than expectation for a change.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

In 2000 the team expected to go out and win every game. It's not a bad attitude to have, as long as it is coupled with the realisation that it's only achievable through hard work. So far so good.
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

This drongo was sticking the boots into the club (and its "deluded" supporters) during the pre-season.

The man is a tool!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

that first article made us sound pretty much unbeatable, very solid game plan though, hope we can develop it on field effectively
Ossie
Club Captain

Re: Pat Smith article.

Post by Ossie »

and drew another with the village idiot, Carlton.
Superb. :lol:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.