Groundhog Day, Deja Vu, The Same Shit Again....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Groundhog Day, Deja Vu, The Same Shit Again....

Post by BenDoolan »

So here we are AGAIN. Early season loss to a team that has won 3 spoons in 5 years. A team that has been a laughing stock on and off the field. A team that was declared bankrupt. A team that was 48 points down just before half time. Why do we always f****** do it? Why can't we beat these easy beats?

We were creaming them in the first quarter. We kicked 7 goals, f****** 9. The game should have been over at quarter time. We controlled most of the second quarter and lead by 48 points. Then we let them kick 3 goals in 5 minutes. I knew then, it was gonna screw us in the end.

We were atrocious at the centre clearances - probably because our ruckmen were sheizenhausen ALL DAY. And our kicking for goal was f****** rubbish. My hat goes off to Mark McVeigh, but the rest can get f*****.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Hang on, Hirdy put in a good effort and Winda was great, barring the crap in front of goals.

I've been saying all week we'd probably lose to this mob. We are just their bitches, unfortunately.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

you echoed my sentiments exactly BD.

Truely disgraceful the nature of this loss...truely disgraceful...
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Megan wrote:Hang on, Hirdy put in a good effort and Winda was great, barring the crap in front of goals.

I've been saying all week we'd probably lose to this mob. We are just their bitches, unfortunately.
...And Hirdy! (my apologies)

And I admired Winderlich's efforts today, they were great. BUT he missed two sodas in the 1st quarter that MUST be kicked at this level.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Hird played well and McVeigh was good.

As soon as Carlton got that run on leading into Half Time... and Lovett played on as the siren went... it was ominous. We should have put the game beyond doubt well before half time and run away with a 100 point win and much needed percentage.

Instead... :shock:
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Boyler_Room wrote: Instead... :shock:
Instead...we did it AGAIN!

It's like a nightmare that will never go away. The first game of footy I ever remember (listening to on the radio as a little kid) was the 1968 Grand Final when these mongrels beat us by 2 points or 3 points or something. Here we are nearly 40 years later and nothing has changed!!
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Never ends. All of the Muzteks will be happy down Lygon St tonight. Half of those inbreds wouldn't even know the rules of the game.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Shattered, absolutly shattered.

I need a lie down after that.

I can't remember off the top of my head when we actually beat Carlton last. It's that bad. Maybe when the siren was busted that day....

But seriously, what an almighty fuckup.

As soon as they kicked those three in a row in the second the game was lost.
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

Megan is right, we're Carlton bitches.
Andy Lovett - no. 1
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Been following Essendon since 1975. If I'm wrong, let me know, but I can't remember coughing up as big a lead over the last 32 years as we did today. Was really hoping the 3 late goals they got in the second qtr was just due to a momentary lapse in intensity by us. Alas...

By the way, and I know you had a few mates in the 2nd half, but Laycock, if you can't handle the pace, get out of the race. Two stuff-ups in 30 seconds is a bloody long way from acceptable. A lot more needs to be done to hold your spot.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

swooper wrote:Been following Essendon since 1975. If I'm wrong, let me know, but I can't remember coughing up as big a lead over the last 32 years as we did today. Was really hoping the 3 late goals they got in the second qtr was just due to a momentary lapse in intensity by us. Alas...
There was that game against West Coast when Hird kicked that goal and saved the day and hugged a supporter. Even though we won, we were up by some large margin in the second and let it slip.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

same with that freo game back in 2005, dunno how big a lead but it wasn't small
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swooper wrote:Been following Essendon since 1975. If I'm wrong, let me know, but I can't remember coughing up as big a lead over the last 32 years as we did today. Was really hoping the 3 late goals they got in the second qtr was just due to a momentary lapse in intensity by us. Alas...
1991 Elimination Final? We were up a significant margin and then Allen Jakovich pulled his finger out of his ass and kicked 8 goals....
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

Re: that Hird game against WC in 2004, we lead 8.0.48 to 0.0.0 and almost lost.

Today we led by 48 and lost.

I remember being up by about 24 points late in the final term against the Dogs in 2002, and we ended up salvaging a draw after Lloydy kicked a point after the siren. That one sucked.

Today is gonna hurt all week.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Lloyd is King wrote:Re: that Hird game against WC in 2004, we lead 8.0.48 to 0.0.0 and almost lost.

Today we led by 48 and lost.

I remember being up by about 24 points late in the final term against the Dogs in 2002, and we ended up salvaging a draw after Lloydy kicked a point after the siren. That one sucked.

Today is gonna hurt all week.
Remember it well, both Hirdy's and Lloydy's first games back after Lloyd's finger tendon injury and Hird smashed his face in at Subi.

Thought he kicked it myself, so i was celebrating until i realised he missed. That wasn't nice
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I think we lost a huge last quarter lead to the Dees in the early 90s... Vague memory as a young teenager of it
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

BenDoolan wrote:
1991 Elimination Final? We were up a significant margin and then Allen Jakovich pulled his finger out of his ass and kicked 8 goals....
Think we were up by 30-odd in that one. Michael Werner flattened Steven Stretch and it was all downhill from there. Think that may have been the game when the talked back from retirement Shane Heard spent most of the game on A.Jakovich and was stitched right up. MIght have been his last game.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

bomberdonnie wrote:I think we lost a huge last quarter lead to the Dees in the early 90s... Vague memory as a young teenager of it
That was at Windy Hill, and Darren Bennett of all people cut us to ribbons in the last quarter. Still don't know if we were 48 up at any stage though...
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

dom_105 wrote: Thought he kicked it myself, so i was celebrating until i realised he missed. That wasn't nice
Same here. Considering it was a time when so many players - Creswell, Farmer, Riccardi, etc - seemed to be kicking goals after the siren, it felt like surely Lloydy would be the perfect candidate... but nay.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swooper wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Think we were up by 30-odd in that one. Michael Werner flattened Steven Stretch and it was all downhill from there. Think that may have been the game when the talked back from retirement Shane Heard spent most of the game on A.Jakovich and was stitched right up. MIght have been his last game.
Yep, Shane Heard was killing him up until half time (I think he only kicked the one). After half time it was an avalanche.....