Hird....miss this week and play ANZAC Day??

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Hird....miss this week and play ANZAC Day??

Post by merc_2 »

A report in today's paper suggests that we may rest Hird to so that he can play on Anzac Day. With the 4 day break, it is very unlikely he would come up for the Anzac Day game if he plays against StKilda on Saturday.

If we had not lost the game in the circumstances we did, I would have supported this decision. However, given the way we fell to pieces and the way Hirdy played, we need him against the Saints. We need a win next week. AND then worry about Anzac day after that.

What are people's opinions on this selection issue?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Play him.

He plays off the bench now anyhow...use him wisely.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Depends on a number of variables.

Us resting Hird for the Saints game, i think, sends one of two tacit messages: 1) we don't think we're a chance to win, so we may as well save him for the game where we do have a chance next week, or 2) we're pretty good and we think we can win without him.

Whilst the ANZAC Game is ostensibly more important, in the grander scheme of things it's still only worth 4 premiership points, exactly the same as the game against St. Kilda. A win on ANZAC Day is probably more enjoyable but in the context of the season is just as important as beating St. Kilda.

So, i don't think he should be rested unless the team tacitly believes in point (1), namely that we can't really beat the Saints anyway so we may as well rest him.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

F111 wrote:Play him.

He plays off the bench now anyhow...use him wisely.
exactly
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Half of me feels that we should play him off the bench sporadically, the other half feels we're going into the game slightly disabled from the start with the attitude of having a 3.5 man bench.

I really don't know. I'm kinda inclined to say rest him... I don't think anyone would interpret that as us being either overly cocky or overly negative - it's not exactly a secret that we need to nurse him at this stage of his career.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

We need him more against the Saints than the Filth. I say play him. use him wisely as stated and see how he pulls up.

Remember that he will have a week and a half to get up after ANZAC day
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote: Us resting Hird for the Saints game, i think, sends one of two tacit messages: 1) we don't think we're a chance to win, so we may as well save him for the game where we do have a chance next week, or 2) we're pretty good and we think we can win without him.
or

3) He's an old fella, who desperately wants to play on ANZAC Day.

Understand your point(s) but think on this occassion you are overanalysing things slightly.

For what's its worth I think they should rest him. They'll have to do it quite a few times throughout the year so we might as well get used to it.
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

I'm half hearted, I think we should rest him. But then we may need him? He does play off the bench now and yeah, using him wisely would be a good idea.
Andy Lovett - no. 1
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I would rest him for sure. Hird is a much better player these days at the MCG than he is at the Dome. Just a matter of pace I think.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Playing him off the bench would be a good idea but he did seem quite tired towards the end of the match of Saturday as he dropped any easy mark.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

I think he will want to play as it is his last year he will be keen to play as many as he can! He will get up for Anzac Day he always does!!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Further to this discussion, today's Age suggests Hird will play both matches (v. Saints and Collingwood) on the premise that each match is as important as the other:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/r ... 36802.html

Take that with a grain of salt as Essendon surely have to be the biggest liars going around when it comes to selection policies, late inclusions, injuries and the like.
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

I think Hirdy would want to play Saints and Collingwood game - but I think they will play him. I thought about it over the past few days - we have the Saints game, which really he will play I reckon first, second quarter and if we're leading by a big margin - he'll play on the bench (haha, I know what happened last time with Carlton)

Collingwood game - he'll play - 3 quarters if we're again leading he'll play off the bench. But then after the Collingwood game there is a 10 day break. So he'll just rest up - and do light training. They may even rest him after the 10-day break because we play Richmond who don't seem to alarming.
Andy Lovett - no. 1
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

I could be completely wrong. But, I guess we'll see what Sheeds says. He's been hiding from the media, usually he is in the paper for something, whether it be good or bad.
Andy Lovett - no. 1