St. Kilda Selections

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

St. Kilda Selections

Post by rockhole »

From reports on the web site, Johns, JJ, Campo, Gumby, Houli, Hilsop and Dempsey all played well.

If NatRat is fit, what changes , if any, would you make to the team to play the Saints??. I must admit, I was rapt that the team we picked to play Carlton was virtuall unchanged for the first time in God knows how long. But with these guys pushing up, they cannot be ignored.

I suggest that JJ and NatRat would be certainties but at whose expense.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I wonder if HIrd will be rested against the Saints given he will only have 4 days in which to back up for the ANZAC Day clash.

If so, I reckon Houli may get his chance to come in.

Dyson will also go so maybe Dempsey or perhaps even JJ to come in.

Johns perhaps but I dont think we want to upset the Lloyd/Lucas show
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Is Lucas fit??? He did land heavily on his knee and had a massive fade out in the second half (was no orphan mind you).

Would love to see Johns get a game. JJ could probably use another week in the 2's but the way we got smashed in the midfield and hard ball gets he may come in. Not sure about Houli haven't seen too much of him but he sounds like an in and under type which we desperatley need (cant have Jimmy doing that all year or he wont last past round 10!!!)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Guaranteed that there will be a debutant on Anzac Day. It is Sheedy's signature.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

BenDoolan wrote:Guaranteed that there will be a debutant on Anzac Day. It is Sheedy's signature.
Houli or Gumby????
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Western Red wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Guaranteed that there will be a debutant on Anzac Day. It is Sheedy's signature.
Houli or Gumby????
Depends on team balance I guess, but there may be a need for a midfielder - so Houli or Hislop.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gumby get in though....but I reckon CJ may be ahead of him in the pecking order - particularly CJ's efforts against Collingwood last year.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We need a players like JJ to play as the problem on Saturday was a lack of players wanting to get the hard ball. NatRat didn't have a good game in round 1 but we all know he is quite capable with his run off half-back which was a feature last year.

Johns would be a good inclusion to stretch St.Kilda's defence and seeing he is now kicking straight may be better than he was last year.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

NLM is all but ruled out the Saints game.

Whats the feeling on Dyson did he do enough?? Will he get another run ahead of maybe Jetta or Davey??

Also with Ryder doing so well in the ruck against the Blues late in the game does Laycock go out for Johns?? He wasn't real flash on the weekend Laycock.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Western Red wrote:NLM is all but ruled out the Saints game.

Whats the feeling on Dyson did he do enough?? Will he get another run ahead of maybe Jetta or Davey??

Also with Ryder doing so well in the ruck against the Blues late in the game does Laycock go out for Johns?? He wasn't real flash on the weekend Laycock.
Yeh i like your thinking about Laycock, i think he might miss this week and Johns will come in after kick 7.0 in the VFL.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Two Words

Courtney Johns
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Laycock needs the game - he deserves to be in based on his performance the week before and he is the future of our ruck division. Ryder is a good pinch hitter but in taking 30-40% of the ruck duties he'd get smashed physically (particularly against m. clarke).

CJ has to be rewarded for his 7 straight goals and I'd bring Hislop in for Jetta. Jetta deserves a break and Hislop was close to BOG for the seconds. JJ in a week or two if he's dominating - the club should learn its lesson after introducing him too early last year.

Fortunately we match up pretty well with the Saints. We're one of the only clubs in the competition that has cover for Reiwoldt (Mcphee), Kosi (Fletch) and Gehrig (Michael) - and even if they throw an extra tall up forward we've got Ryder to cover them. We'll stretch their defense if we bring in Johns and force Leigh Fisher to be accountable - which will take away a lot of their drive. They're also not lightning in the guts which plays into our hands. Our key challenge will be to shut down Dal Santo, Harvey and X Clarke, players that could cut us up through the middle.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Well Luke Ball's out. That'll help us out a bit... :wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I felt Laycock was better than Hille because he got far less game time. If a ruckman is going to be dropped it should be Hille.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Agreed. Hille has been struggling this year and Laycock needs games.

I like the idea of resting Hird this week, too. Freshen him up for ANZAC day so he can turn in one of his special performances.

How good would it be to see the Great Man with another ANZAC medal draped around his neck... :D
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Sheeds has said Hirdy will definately play against the Saints. Said "It would be a disservice to Essendon fans" if he didn't play. Sounds like he's foxing to me...