Games We "Should Win"

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Games We "Should Win"

Post by dingus »

Last year we finished 15th with wins few and far between.

This year, if we win the games we "should" and lose the games we "shouldn't" we will finish 2nd at the end of the H&A.

I'll take a loss to Carlton if it's preceded by wins against Adelaide and Fremantle. I'll even take a loss to collingwood if it's framed by wins over St. Kilda and Hawthorn.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Well Carlton is a game we should win and with ease.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Going on with your logic, we'll win th eflag this year! :wink:
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

If we are to doing anything great in the finals we HAVE TO beat:

St Kilda (next week) - they're good, but so are we, should be able to match it with them easily and should win. I just hope the loss this week has only brought the boys back down to earth and not thrown their confidence out the window entirely. 2 good wins, 1 close loss - better to be 2-1 than 1-2 or, worse, 0-3.

Hawthorn (Rnd 6) - losses always cost us.
Kangaroos (Rnd 7) - as above.
Brisbane (Rnd 8 ) - we're playing them at home, bout time we got the mental edge over them, at least at home. I'd much rather 1-1 than go 2-0.
Richmond (Rnd 9) - same applies as with Hawthorn and the Kangaroos.
West Coast (Rnd 11) - as with Brisbane - we have to beat them at least in Melbourne so that even if we lose Round 22 - it's 1-1 for the season.
Melbourne (Round 13) - they never do anything great - loss is always costly.
Geelong (Round 14) - won't be easy, but definitely winnable.

In Round 20, we have to gain some respect back and absolutely kick the living crap outa the scum. They're a rabble and do nothing special. Close losses are starting to sh!t me. Payback time! Be really nice to beat them and put their finals hopes totally beyond doubt. That would certainly help ease the pain of Saturday. But hopefully by then they have the spoon well and truly wrapped up. :wink:

Probable losses, but i'll be happy if we pick up 1 or 2 in lieu of some of the above:
Round 10 - Sydney
Round 12 - Port Adelaide - what's the chances of winning in Adelaide twice in the same year?
Round 19 - Fremantle
Round 22 - West Coast

Good thing is we don't have to travel to Brisbane this year.

Based on "should win" games we should chalk up 17 wins for the season, but I'd be happy with 14-15. That would get us into the finals and possibly even a home final in the first week. Lot of water to go under the bridge until then though.
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

What happened on Saturday should never happened. I've said it before, Sheedy would have told the boys that and no doubt they would have learnt from that. To come back and nearly win more games in 3 games then in 06's season, shows that boys can learn from mistakes and all the rest.

We will bounce back against the Saints. We have a top heavy forward line, with the prospect of Johns coming in and a few others. We have alot of forwards that can kick sodas and I think Sheeds will give Jetta a rest - that way it leaves room for JJ to come in.

If we beat the Saints, Season is back on - because good or bad we always lift for Collingwood. So we could be by the end of next week 4-1. Which is like 2-4th on the ladder. We've had a big turn-around and we've clearly learnt from last season, I don't see why we're going to slump because of the other game, if anything we should learn from it and act on what we have learned.

As for Hawthorn - they're nothing. There team is way to young, they've got a good list but all of whom are young. Every year Hawthorn starts off flying and them crumbles dramatically throughout the season. As soon as they get rid of Clarkson, Hawthorn will be a better team.

Melbourne are clearly Essendon in 06 - with injuries to all there forwards pretty much, leaves them nothing. Most of their mid-field besides possibly Moloney are all out-of-form and usually Melbourne bounce middle of the season, but it'll be too late.

Kangas & Richmond, much the same to Melbourne. Kangaroos, would be a good side if Harding and Thommo are in the side but relying on youngens in the forward line and a depleted defence. Really means nothing. Richmond play alot like us in the 1st half against Carlton. They can't win a game in 4 quarters.

So really, we should have no worries beating Melbourne, Kangas, Richmond and Hawthorn if we're GOOD.
Andy Lovett - no. 1