Carlton and Close Games

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Carlton and Close Games

Post by Madden »

As I sit here this morning trying to forget Saturday, in an attempt to justify my pain I had a quick look at the results of all Ess/Carl games since (and including) the 99 Prelim – the game where this modern rivalry kicked up a notch.

What I discovered is that the stats from the games in that time are as follows:

Essendon: 8
Carlton: 8
Draw: 1

On the face of it, Carlton hardly looks like our bogey side…. but the kicker comes when you see that 7 of Carlton’s 8 wins in that time have been by less than 3 goals. (the exception being last year where they beat us by 5 goals in the wet – and the margin could easily have been less than that, it was a close game all day.)

When you compare that to us, all of our 8 wins have been by 4 goals or more. Quite amazing really. No wonder we hate the f***ing pricks.

Detailed results for those who are interested:

99 PF: L by 1
00 R5: W by 24
00 R20: W by 26
00 PF: W by 45
01 R3: L by 17
01 R18: L by 7

02 R7: W by 25
02 R22: W by 55
03 R3: L by 11
03 R18: W by 34
04 R4: W by 37
04 R19: L by 17
05 R2: L by 4

05 R21: W by 99
06 R7: L by 33
06 R16: Draw
07 R3: L by 3

Would there ever have been a side who had the wood over another side so badly in close games?

Thoughts?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Filthy wrote:Bloody hell Staggy, my old man goes back to the 20's and he still whinges about Carlscum did this 50 years ago or whatever.

Saturdays shit has been happening forever and no one knows why!!! :evil:
True, but I think people underestimate the effect that the 99 Prelim loss has had on this club, even this many years afterwards. Since that loss, we have not won a close game against the Scum, while they have won 7. That cannot be a coincidence.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

There was a golden period in the eighties if memory serves me, when, including practice matches, we beat them 13 games in a row.

Just a fading memeory now. The bastards seem to grow another leg when they play us.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We would have been favourite in every one of those matches since '99. It's a shame that they always seem to beat us in close matches.

The last time we beat them in a close match was in 1998 when we beat them by 1 point and 6 points in games that year.

In 1997 we beat them by 7 points in round 1.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

Guys, I hate to say it, and I agree with everything that has been said here, BUT, Saturdays game should never have gotten so close. 48 points up and then letting them back in is f****** ridiculas. So even though they have the wood over us in the close games, it should never have happened!!!!!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We should have managed to go on to win by more than 48 points. If we had kicked straight it would have been over at 1/4 time. We should have had 12.4 at 1/4 time instead of 7.9
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Exactly.

As soon as they began to dictate the play they started to drag us down to their level and once that happened it was all over. Patrick Smith (i think it was) referred to them as the village idiot. We all know what happens when you argue with an idiot.

For those that don't.... they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Eventually we'll beat the Baggers in a close game and i, for one, will have no hope of restraining myself. I'm not sure how i'll react, but any Carlton supporter within a radius of 10 metres can expect to hear a stream of profanities, closely followed by some rude gesticulations, some taunting, then possibly some more profanities, then some wild laughter, some heckling and probably some more profanities for good measure.

I shall then run, and run very fast, once said Carlton supporter breaches the 10 metre radius.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Very healthy response, jimmy...
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

gee i hope we dont face them in a grand final in next couple of years... i wont be able to watch
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Surely our rivalry with Carlton is the biggest in the AFL. Nothing else beats it does it?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I would seriously doubt that this Rabble has an even win loss ratio against any other club since 99.

This remember, has been the worse performed football club in the league for more than 4 years now.

It is simply ridiculous that Essendon gets the yips against this team
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robrulz5 wrote:Surely our rivalry with Carlton is the biggest in the AFL. Nothing else beats it does it?

Agree - although Sydney and West Coast are foming a pretty strong playing rivalry but I doubt that they hate each other.

Freo and West coast hate each other although the playing results have been pretty lopsided in favour of West Coast.

I believe Port and Adelaide hate each other

But the truth is, the Carlton Essendon hatred goes back a long long way.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Still hate the Pies more by a long way.