Hird's dropped mark

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Hird's dropped mark

Post by bueller »

I've had a bit of a look over all of the weekend posts and theres been a phenomenal amount of talk about the game etc. One we will never forget.

However, the moment i will remember most while sitting up near the scoreboard in the ponsford stand is Lloyd receiving the ball in the dying seconds on the 50 and weighing up what to do, passing it 20 metres and the ball just went over the head of a Carlton player and into the waiting hands of the great man.
That great man was James Hird, who proceeded to drop the mark and automatically put his hands to his head.
He wouldve been kicking for goal after the siren if his mits held that mark and couldve' been one of the fairytale finishes.. Especially against Carlton.

I think it was a tough mark to take as his view may have been obscured and all of a sudden the ball was there and he only had a split second to mark it in a pressure situation. However, Hirdy normally has the magic to produce things like that. After the siren went seconds later - i was stunned that the chance slipped and the game was now over...

Do you think he should've taken it? What a finish that wouldve been!!
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Hird's dropped mark

Post by Jazz_84 »

bueller wrote: Do you think he should've taken it? What a finish that wouldve been!!
ummmm yes???
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Would have been awesome But he did have 3 others around him....
Last edited by Gossy7 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

It was spoiled rather than dropped I thought.

The carlton player came in from the side and got a fist to it.

But yes I had thought if he had of taken it how good it would have been.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It was right in front of me and the Carlton player was still a metre or two away so it was a dropped mark.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

We had plenty of other opportunities... but yes, that would have been a great fairytale ending for Sir James.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

Its pretty bloody rude of you to tell James Hird that he should have taken that mark.

it was one of a dozen incidents in the last few minutes that didnt go our way. Don't go singling out something hirdy did
A fairytale? no, more like a lifesaver. to point any fingers? not on at all IMO
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Brumaz wrote:Its pretty bloody rude of you to tell James Hird that he should have taken that mark.
Yeah bueller. Haven't you got a job to go to rather than lurking around the Windy Hill car park and pouncing on James Hird to tell him all about his skill errors?
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Brumaz wrote:Its pretty bloody rude of you to tell James Hird that he should have taken that mark.

it was one of a dozen incidents in the last few minutes that didnt go our way. Don't go singling out something hirdy did
A fairytale? no, more like a lifesaver. to point any fingers? not on at all IMO
Rude? i was just pointing out a fact - a pretty important one, i don't care if it was James Hird or a first gamer, the fact remains that he dropped a difficult mark in difficult circumstances.. And ironic that the champ could've had a shot after the siren to win the game..
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

I was sitting just around from it and I could have sworn that the mark was spoiled by a Carlton defender before it got to Hirdy.
If he had have spilled a mark that could've enabled him to win the game don't you think the media would have pounced on it?
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

My thoughts exactly swooper.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Have a look at the reply, slow it down and have a look again you guys, your kidding yourselves.

The Carlton player may have slightly touched it but if Hird held the grab it wouldve been paid.

The media had many incidents to highlight including the "hands in the back" with Mark McVeigh and the come back in general. But i was surprised they didn't talk about the last bit of play a bit more.
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

That's probably the one thing Hird hasn't done... kick a goal after the siren to win the match!

It would have been oh so sweet... but there were 21 other blokes who all had chances to bury those bastards from Carrrrrrrrrrrrlton much much earlier in the match.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Lloyd made the mistake, he should have kicked it to the top of the square were Lucas and Laycock were waiting.....and the crumbers there for the spills. Hird had 3 on him and the ball was spoiled....It was right in front of me.