Ruck options...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Ruck options...

Post by gringo »

What are our options if Hille does not play? I don't like the idea of having either Bradley or Bolton on the ground. I also don’t like the idea of moving Ryder from the backline. Is Laycock up and about? If we can get 75% of rucking duties from him, who else could we throw in there?
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

How is McKinnon going in the Magoos? He's the tallest player on the list and got a few mentions in despatches (no Anzac day pun intended...ah hell yeah why not :) in the pre-season games.

I know he's on the rookie list but Neagle is out long term and I haven't heard of anyone else being promoted to the senior list as yet.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I don't think we need to worry too much about Josh Fraser and Guy Richards. Both have had their pants pulled down by Laycock and Hille in the past couple of years which says a lot about their ability.

Davey could be thrown into the ruck against Fraser and he'd knock him over like a cardboard cut out.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Laycock to find his missing form against the rubbish that Collingwood has.

Ryder to take a few minutes each quarter if needed but I'm sure they can work on a strategy to keep Laycock from becoming too buggered.

McKinnon seemed pretty good on the weekend, but I doubt he will come in this week if he is elevated.

Please not Bradley.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

How about promoting Chatres from the rookie list
and playing him as a Ruck/ Ruckrover
which he has been doing with some success at VFL Level.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Me!! Dominated the ruck for 2 straight weeks for the North Cairns Tigers reserves side, so I think I can handle the step up in class :D

Seriously, Laycock gets first crack and Paddy is his back up. Ryder has been good in defence this year but isn't needed there this week. Mal on Rocca, McPhee on Cloke, Fletcher to float and dominate the back half.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

WHY?!?!? Why Bradley????? Why are we constantly subjected to mediocrity?

Just when I thought we were actually making progess....
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Mediocrity, thats David Hilles middle name. I'm not a great fan of Bradley but atleast he can pick up kicks. The good thing about Hille missing today's game is that it gives Laycock a chance to show us what he's got, if all goes well Hille might struggle to get back into the side.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Pick up kicks? Have you seen him kick?

Hille is a huge asset to our side. Not the best tap ruckman but a pretty important player in our structure.

With Hille out and people saying that they would rather Ryder not move off the HB line.... who would you put in the team?

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ZeroEffect wrote:Mediocrity, thats David Hilles middle name. I'm not a great fan of Bradley but atleast he can pick up kicks. The good thing about Hille missing today's game is that it gives Laycock a chance to show us what he's got, if all goes well Hille might struggle to get back into the side.

Stupid comment regarding Hille. Sorry.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Hille was a massive loss today. Completely impacted on the entire strucutre, especially by replacing him with Bradley. He is like having one less player on the field ... so by having Bradley it's like having only 20 players on the field.

For those who don't understand ...

22 - 1 (Hille) - 1 (Bradley) = 20 players

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Boyler_Room wrote:Hille was a massive loss today. Completely impacted on the entire strucutre, especially by replacing him with Bradley. He is like having one less player on the field ... so by having Bradley it's like having only 20 players on the field.

For those who don't understand ...

22 - 1 (Hille) - 1 (Bradley) = 20 players
:lol:
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Ryder was excellent when he went in to the ruck.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

nomolos wrote:Ryder was excellent when he went in to the ruck.
He was but unfortunately it removed him from the backline where he has been a star this season. We really need to think about recruiting a more mature bodied runckman to help Hille and while Laycock is still developing. This was our problem (one of many) last year. Without Hille, we struggle.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

This is the Number one reason why we won't be a top 8 team this year. Hille is built like Adonis, but is crap at taps, Laycock never looks fit & after that it gets ugly.

If ever there was a game for Laycock to fire up, this was it. I'll say it once & I'll say it again, keep off the pies & get fit.
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

Yep, after today we are definately one ruckman short. Ryder had to go into the ruck and that put Bradley into the backline and he was definately not good. With Ryder starring in the back line this year, if he didn't have to go in the ruck then Bradley wouldn't have gone to the backline and stuff a few things up, we may have won today.:(
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Could have done with Cartledge this week.
Leigh wrote:How about promoting Chatres from the rookie list
and playing him as a Ruck/ Ruckrover
which he has been doing with some success at VFL Level.
Chatres looked rubbish this week. Too short (I think 193cm) to play ruck with effectively no jump.

If a rookie is going to be upgraded to ruck, should be McKinnon.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Could have done with Cartledge this week.
Agreed. Cartledge showed more as a tap ruckman in 2 games last year than Hille ever has. I'm still confident Laycock will get there but just needs game time.

And for the record, I am a Hille fan. He is hugely important to the structure of this team. But he is best suited to be a #2 ruckman than the main guy.