Essendon v Collingwood - Anzac Day Match Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jorayme
Top Up Player

Post by jorayme »

In total shock as I thought that with us having a game in the dry and Collingwood having a hard slog in the wet our team would run the legs of them. How wrong one can be. Also as stated by many others the two ins for us cost big time. Would rather have seen Bachar amd Gumby played as they couldn't have done any worse than those two so called mature players.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

The moment we lost the game was when Bradley kicked it straight to Tarkyn Lockyear in the goalsqaure...

Bradley was woeful today. The umpires weren't far behind. Bolton wasn't far behind them.

.... and suddenly our forward structure looks like a pack of highschool girls again. Where the hell did Lloyd disappear to for a couple of quarters? I noticed him in the goalsquare one out with Clement quite a lot while the guys bringing the ball down just blazed away or hit a Collingwood player on the chest.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Analysis (rated either in the Good or Bad bucket):

Good
McVeigh - outstanding...hear Walls highlight a possible report...prick
Fletcher - Essendon's best by a country mile...4 quarter effort
Stanton - Ran all day...used the ball well
Davey - what can you say...brilliant
Lucas - presented all day
Michael - stuck to the task...wasn't helped by our lack of midfield pressure
McPhee - kept presenting...but tried to do a little too much on occasions...can't blame him when no one else is contributing
Heffernan - contributed at each contest he was in
Hird - a lot of meaningless possessions, but worked harder than should have been required...heart the size of Phar Lap
Peverill - worked and ran hard
Johns - kicked two good goals but sporadic opportunities killed him & probably Lloyd for that matter
Monfries - was under-used on a half-forward flank...always reliable

Bad
Watson - terrible...turnover after turnover...cannot kick
Dyson - Soft, soft, soft
Laycock - only a second string ruckman at best...but to his defence didn't get the chop-out he needed
Lloyd - could get into the game...and needs to be told to stop playing for free kicks...and put his body on the line...harsh but he has to stop playing for in the back
Slattery - almost unsighted...should have played on Shaw...forgiveable
Johnson - not quick enough for a defender these days...should have been switched to the middle to try and win a clearance...kicked a good goal
Bolton - Non-existent
Lovett - too choosy on which contests he commits to

& of course

BRADLEY - In reflection I honestly feel sorry for him. It's not his fault. He was thrown into the biggest game outside of a GF on the back of 2 years worth of below par performances. Sheedy has just officially broken this man forever from a psychological point of view. A little like John Watkins being plucked to play test cricket for Australia from the bush. All over Red Rover!!!

I think I'll take the rest of the week off sick!!!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bomberflyer wrote: McVeigh - outstanding...hear Walls highlight a possible report...prick
yeah heard that but they couldn't get any footage of it so that means there is none cause walls would have tried his ass off to get it
RAMS
Top Up Player

Post by RAMS »

bomberflyer wrote:

McVeigh - outstanding...hear Walls highlight a possible report...prick

yeah heard that but they couldn't get any footage of it so that means there is none cause walls would have tried his ass off to get it
Speaking of reports why the hell didn't Dale Thomas go in the book for his backhanded punch on Ryder and why was it not 50 metres???
Save me Jebus!
jorayme
Top Up Player

Post by jorayme »

Fletch and Mal tried but what happened in that last quarter ? The amount of times their players took uncontested marks in their forward 50 with no one within 10 mtrs was a real concern. I know the midfield were getting it down quickly but where was the manning up.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

I think the problem was though these guys probably did 4 quarters worth in the first three quarters...they had good right not to get to contests...and bloody Laycock as the spare man up...Rocca knocked him out the road like a feather duster.

Sometimes you just need help from your team mates and Mal & Dustin didn't have much help...our defence should be applauded...them and the Pies bad kicking kept us in the game for probably 45 minutes more than they should have.