Mark Bolton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Mark Bolton

Post by rama_fan »

Criticised him before - and I reckon people reading this subject will expect this thread to be bagging him.

But I reckon he played ok.

Had the tough job on Dane Swan who has been averaging over 30 possessions in the first 4 weeks. Made him very accountable and kicked a goal on him (should have been at least two if Bolts skills didnt let him down, i.e. Dropped chest mark)

Before the inevitable criticism comes, I'll just say on record that I reckon he was far from our worst today, and came close to beating his opponent - something a lot of his teammates didn't do.

Can't defend Kepler though...
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Did you hit your head? lol.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

the possesions he stopped Swan getting he quickly gave back to other Magpies players with his poor disposal and decision making
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Kicked a goal.

How does he hold the ball in his hands when he's having a shot? Looks like he drops it and catches it over and over...
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

And I said in another post...

Bolton has at least given us a handful of good games over the years. And I use the word 'handful' sheepishly. Remember, there were actually several good games from Bolts in 2002 and 2003.

It's just that the game has passed Bolton. He's finished.

But Bradley is in his prime and has nothing to offer except height.

Bolton is not in the Henneman, McAlister, Bradley league.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

He was his usual average crap self. If he had any brains at all, he would have run Swan ragged all day. One was coming off a 3 day break, the other off 10.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

dom_105 wrote:Kicked a goal.

How does he hold the ball in his hands when he's having a shot? Looks like he drops it and catches it over and over...
He was juggling it.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

He only touched the ball 5 times, one of which was his goal.

So he could have only turned it over 4 times max!

He is so far away from our best 22 it's not funny, but I reckon he did ok today.

Swan only had 20 touches none of which were influential. Heath Shaw unfortunately picked up he job Swan had been doing in previous weeks.

Still maintain he was far from our worst and that there are better scapegoats to use than the predictable Bolton.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Far from our worst today he is not the future of our club though and really can see a spot for him in the team.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

He had 5 actual disposals but he was woeful. Spilled easy chest marks, failed to provide contests, gave away frees...

The one good thing he did for the entire game was kick that goal.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Kicked a nice goal.
Gave away an unlucky free kick in the square which he would have had another goal for.
The mark he dropped was a blatant push in the back against him.

Didn't do much else - but he wasn't to blame for todays insipid performance - we were a collective rabble
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

DUD
Bleeding for the red and black
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

dom_105 wrote:Kicked a goal.

Dom! I noted that too... WTF was with that? I've never noticed him doing that before, if my memory serves he was even doing it as he was taking his run up.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Was ordinary today but not terrible. There were worse out there today, and not just Kepler.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

I dont have any faith in Bolton, but he wasnt too bad today. Was robbed off a goal in the 2nd quarter. Since when does a player get penalised in a marking duel when he side bumps his opponent.?
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Please explain....Sheedy!

Post by merc_2 »

I have no idea why Sheeds would take Patrick Ryder out of the backline in the 2nd half and put Bradley on Cloke. Suddenly Cloke became dominant, we lost the structure in the backline.

Yes Hille was out injured, but Laycock wasnt doing too bad a job was he? Fraser wasnt a threat at that stage of the match.

Can someone please explain why this move was made?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Please explain....Sheedy!

Post by jimmyc1985 »

merc_2 wrote:I have no idea why Sheeds would take Patrick Ryder out of the backline in the 2nd half and put Bradley on Cloke. Suddenly Cloke became dominant, we lost the structure in the backline.

Yes Hille was out injured, but Laycock wasnt doing too bad a job was he? Fraser wasnt a threat at that stage of the match.

Can someone please explain why this move was made?
Because Laycock was tired and isn't capable of rucking an entire match? That seems too obvious an answer to give but i'm pretty sure that'd be the reason.