Matthew Lloyd

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Lloydy is contributing despite not having his touch back yet. He is fine at ground level, but he is marking overhead, getting beaten in one on one contests and has really taken one on a hard lead. He can only get better. He missed a year of footy.
Things will turn for him.....He is still good for 3 or 4!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

The area that most concerned me about his game today was that he appeared to provide little, if any, leadership.

If there were too many talls playing deep, why didn't he direct them to move up the ground and open up the forward line a bit.

He was virtually unsighted after the first quarter and if he was struggling to get into the game, then he should have moved out to the flank and taken clement with him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

WIth his backing from contests, I reckon in the good old days he would have been leading and then suddenly stopped so hs man ran straight into his back for a free. And if he wasn't leading and it was going over, he'd tunnel under to get a free.

I'd rather him play for a free than do something stupid that results in nothing.
Megan wrote:I agree with Hirdy. 3/5 games this year we HAVE looked like we can make the top 4.

I think it's neccessary for us to go into every game as underdogs, then we can make the top 4 ;)
You know, two thing about top 4 sides - they play consitently well and they put away bad teams.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Wasn't fully fit - he had more padding than Pamela Anderson.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

Dont think it was just today he struggled, On paper he is recruit of the year for us, on form he is far from that. Been talking the talk, now its time to walk the walk...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

BenDoolan wrote:I actually thought his first goal was a selfish act. Lucky it dribbled through because he had Davey running past him and he should have handballed to him into the open goal. Seeing that Lloyd has been the beneficiary of a few goals due to Davey tackles, I thought that was the least he could have done.

Struggled today.
Have to agree with you there Benny. It was right in front of us and the sort of thing a captain should do to a young bloke for his confidence. As it turns out Davey wasn't lacking in confidence anyway!!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Made a huge tactical error on Anzac Day IMO. I can't remember which quarter it was, but it was down at the Punt Rd end, there was a ball up about 20m out and I said to my brother: "Llyod should get out of the square so if the ruckman gets a free run and a quick snap or it spills to someone for a quick snap, the goal is empty."

What would you know, Hird gets it from the ball up, snaps at goal, but Clement gets a hand on it.

In attack we should never have someone in the goalsquare at stoppages so that these shots count for 6.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.