Team Balance and Difficult Decisions

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Team Balance and Difficult Decisions

Post by Windy_Hill »

By the Hawthorn Game I expect to see the following changes

Out - Watson, Bolton, Bradley, Dyson, Johns

In - Winderlich, Hille, J Johnson, Dempsey, NLM

Watson is a long term prospect but he has to play 3-4 games at Bendigo with clear instructions to kick to a target at every opportunity.

Bradley I am afraid to say is really on his last legs. Dare I say it but Henno's Curse has returned. After nearly 50 games and 4 seasons you are either a player or you are not.

Bolts is a back up player at best and must now make way for returning players

Dyson has to decide whether he wants to be an AFL footballer or not - time to pull the finger out son

Johns - this is a difficult one given his real potential but i just cant see him fitting into the forward structure with both Lucas and LLoyd playing. Unfortunately Johns needs games time to develop but at what cost to team balance.

With these changes I believe we will have a much better balance and structure to continue the development of this team.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Agree with 'em all, although Johns did a few nice things on the weekend.

Watson rarely has a good game on a big ground. Def not suited to the MCG until his kicking can improve.

Dyson had a shocker yesterday. He got ran down three times!!! Isn't he supposed to be quick? More time in the twos required.

Bradley - nuff said already.

Bolton - not our worst yesterday, but not far off.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Re: Team Balance and Difficult Decisions

Post by Doctor Fish »

Windy_Hill wrote:By the Hawthorn Game I expect to see the following changes

Watson is a long term prospect but he has to play 3-4 games at Bendigo with clear instructions to kick to a target at every opportunity.

Bradley I am afraid to say is really on his last legs. Dare I say it but Henno's Curse has returned. After nearly 50 games and 4 seasons you are either a player or you are not.

Dyson has to decide whether he wants to be an AFL footballer or not - time to pull the finger out son

Johns - this is a difficult one given his real potential but i just cant see him fitting into the forward structure with both Lucas and LLoyd playing. Unfortunately Johns needs games time to develop but at what cost to team balance.

With these changes I believe we will have a much better balance and structure to continue the development of this team.
Didn't Dempsey limp off with a hammy playing for Bendigo last week? I might have been mistaken, but he looked like he was in a bit of trouble...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Dempsey is injured but Welsh is due back....
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Team Balance and Difficult Decisions

Post by dom_105 »

Windy_Hill wrote:By the Hawthorn Game I expect to see the following changes

Can't argue there, apart from Johns, but that would be more of a team balance thing rather than anything else.
Windy_Hill wrote:Watson is a long term prospect but he has to play 3-4 games at Bendigo with clear instructions to kick to a target at every opportunity.
Hopefully it is just a confidence thing, rather than a skill thing. Imo he has shown that he can get the job done in parts, if he can just break out of this funk that he's in.
Windy_Hill wrote:Johns - this is a difficult one given his real potential but i just cant see him fitting into the forward structure with both Lucas and LLoyd playing. Unfortunately Johns needs games time to develop but at what cost to team balance.
Johns needs the game time now playing against quality opponents of an AFL standard. There will be a time in 3-4 years where Lloyd will either retire or dimish. a succession plan should be put in place now, at the expense of today's team balance, to ensure that the swapover is a smooth one.

He won't gain the sort of experience he needs at Bendigo.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Courtney Johns did kick 2 excellent goals that he would have fluffed last year. That is a very encouraging sign - 7 straight at Bendigo and 2 big goals yesterday. But team balance will be the issue for him.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

What johns needs to do is become a bit more versatile than just purely a full forward. E.g going down back,
aka lucas last week (although i didnt like that)
and he could have done the role that bradley did while Ryder was in the ruck.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

I am pretty sure Demsey did a hammy, but I think he will be a good player and when ready needs to be given a crack. And JJ said he needs a couple more in the VFL supposedly.
As long ass JJ can come in then yes, but I doubt sheedy will drop him.
I totally agree. He has shown nothing, not even improvement. He has had much more opportunity than most as well. He didnt even earn his selection yesterday.
Yep, Bolts must go. Wasnt our worst yesterday, but he doesnt do enough and it is VERY clear that he isnt part of the future. If Sheeds needs ppl to tag, then use Heff or Pev or Slatts... But its time for one of Sheedys pet players to go. He may have been the No. 4 pick Sheeds, but he's no good mate, time to pull the pin.
Unfortunately Dyson has played 2 games in a row and done very little at all. He doesnt get the thing enough for a midfielder. Great skills though. I hope he can make the transition from VFL - he kills it there.
Only player I would keep of the lot. Kicked 2 nice ones and has the potential be be VERY good. With Lloyd moving down the ground so much maybe Johns can fit?

Bring in - Hille, Winderlich, NLM, Welsh
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'd agree with what was said. Johns looks good but with Lloyd and Lucas already in the forward line it's too top heavy with him in there too.

On Bolton... everyone says he wasn't our worst player... of course he wasn't our worst player!! Bradley was on the field! So that goes without saying :shock:

Dyson has been very disappointing. Not only did he get caught with the ball on a few occasions, his disposal left a lot to be desired. That wormburner that by chance happened to find Lloyd where he snapped an ugly one for his third... That's not the stuff of AFL players. That's the stuff of Division 8 amateur league. He definitely needs to go back to the 2s and find some touch.

Hille coming back will restore a little bit of structure to the team. Bringing Winderlich back in will also help. Simply by including those 2 and dropping the 2 Bs turns the team around to a much better side on paper. Omit Johns (for team balance) and throw in a NLM or a Welsh (who was doing a job up forward) and it looks much better. With Jetta on the sidelines )or in the 2s) bring in Houli for Dyson and I'm starting to get excited, even after that pathetic excuse for a match we were subjected to yesterday.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

not being biased but dyson did a lot of good things that did not stand out, unfortunatley his 2-3 bad things did which is a shame.. a won a few contested balls which if he didnt win could have easily turned into a collingwood game.. he also played his part in the 1%ers

Dempsy, well i keep hearing about him, i wanna see him.. wanna know what this kid is all about. can he play and work with Davey and Lovett and do the things they can do? i know he can run but i think he needs to turn in on in VFL, i havnt heard him being among best for bendigo yet
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

With regards to Watson, he has to learn to kick. If that means going back to Bendigo to do this so be it. To play AFL you need to be able to get the footy which he has no probs with. But you have to be able to dispose of it by hand & foot. It is so obvious he doesnt want to kick it.
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

I wouldn't be dropping Watson back, well not until Jason Johnson is back in the team. At the moment, Watson IS our contested possession man out of the centre.

We are getting pumped at the stoppages, and thats not Watson's fault. Our midfielders do not man up their opponents. All three mids stand defensive side of the centre at centre bounces, makes it easy for the opposition to get first use of the ball when we're getting beaten in the ruck (which we have in every game this season).
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Just with Bolton. Free kick payed against him in the square was softer then butter in the Sahara, Leigh did mention he should have got another from a free kick?? Anyway had he kicked those 2 goals and swung the game back, would people be talking differently? Of course.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

topdon wrote: Our midfielders do not man up their opponents. All three mids stand defensive side of the centre at centre bounces, makes it easy for the opposition to get first use of the ball when we're getting beaten in the ruck (which we have in every game this season).
Huh?

If our midfielders are standing defensive side of the centre, then they would have first opportunity at getting the ball if we're beaten in the ruck. And they would be getting the ball unopposed because (as you said) their opponent is unmanned (and assumingly standing on their defensive side of the centre)....
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I'm with you BD but maybe a tap behind?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:I'm with you BD but maybe a tap behind?
Yes, I thought of that too, and it's probably true. Well, it aint the midfielders fault if our ruckmen can't get a hand on it....that's what I've been harping on about for a couple of weeks. To me, Chook has been mistiming his leaps in the middle and getting himself into poor positioning around the ground from ball ups and throw ins.

I just can't work out why our midfield is copping a pasting in here when they have been doing a darn good job considering our deficiency in ruck contests....
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

boncer34 wrote:Just with Bolton. Free kick payed against him in the square was softer then butter in the Sahara, Leigh did mention he should have got another from a free kick?? Anyway had he kicked those 2 goals and swung the game back, would people be talking differently? Of course.
the push in the back was stupid and soft but with the new role he was begging to havwe a free paid against him. Would've been a free last year, they were cracking down on two movements last year, well not only were there two movements in that one, the was also definite contact with the back.

You want a dodgy in the back free, the one paid against Clement in the 1st quarter, that gave Lloyd his 2nd...that was a truly disgraceful decision, no contact with the back, just somehow got a fist in their to knock the ball around. In all reality Lloyd should've been shot for not using his great big hulking frame to protect the ball and keep Clement from getting into the same postcode as it.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Dyson disappointed me at the game because he didn't go 100% to the first contest he was near when he should have committed his body!! Its tough to pick on one thing but it stood out for me. Particularly when he is yet to cement a spot! NLM is overdue for a run and Welsh will come back in. As someone has already said put Hille and Licha back in the 22 for the 2 B's and we already look better!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

The rule is you cannot put your hands on the back. Bolton put his hands on the opponent's back.

The rule is bullshit, but as a 10 year player, he should know better.
DONISBEST
Top Up Player

Post by DONISBEST »

C.Johns was the only forward who lead at the right time but is continually ignored by most of the ball carriers. Why? he must be so frustrated.
We have probably the best forwards in the game but the supply of ball
is attrocious. Johns showed on two occasions how to lead and converted.
Lloyd was directing traffic in the last quarter to Lucas and Johns and made them both play up over the 50mts arch and run up to the bounce????
could not figure that move out.
Matty stay in the goal square and kick goals stop trying to prove anything except that you can kick goals. Let Sheeds coach.