Brent Stanton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:Stanton's stats are misleading. The bulk of his possessions were cheap, meaningless touches around the half back line. His disposal under pressure is still very poor and he has no interest in manning up when the ball is going the other way. Unless Essendon have the ball in their hands, he doesn't put in. Needs to pull his head out and realise the game isn't about him getting possessions. I was reasonably happy with his game yesterday, but to say he's a top line midfielder in the AFL is completely inaccurate. He may get there one day, but he must be prepared to work when we don't have the ball and improve his disposal under pressure.
Joe Misiti never chased and tackled any opponent. A dual premiership player, brilliant finals performer, and a marvellous centreman for his entire career. Wasn't a noted goal kicker, but set up many goals himself.

I'm unsure where you get the fancy idea that midfielders chase and tackle their direct opponent. You rarely ever see it anywhere. That is why midfielders are assigned "taggers". Stanton is not a tagger....he is most likely to be tagged if he continues his ball getting and running ability.

Not really sure how you judge a player's performance. If he gets 30 possessions, then his direct opponent hasn't bothered to chase and tackle him (one would assume). As for cheap kicks in the backline.....well, if we have possession, then we can set up an attack from anywhere on the field.

As far as I can see, Stanton has improved his disposal. I would like to see him kick a couple of goals occasionally, but as I pointed out, Misiti was not noted for that either. As for his disposal being "poor under pressure".....well blow me down, fancy stuffing a kick up when you are under pressure. How many effective disposals have you seen from a player tackled by Alwyn Davey?.....
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:
gringo wrote:Stanton's stats are misleading. The bulk of his possessions were cheap, meaningless touches around the half back line. His disposal under pressure is still very poor and he has no interest in manning up when the ball is going the other way. Unless Essendon have the ball in their hands, he doesn't put in. Needs to pull his head out and realise the game isn't about him getting possessions. I was reasonably happy with his game yesterday, but to say he's a top line midfielder in the AFL is completely inaccurate. He may get there one day, but he must be prepared to work when we don't have the ball and improve his disposal under pressure.
Joe Misiti never chased and tackled any opponent. A dual premiership player, brilliant finals performer, and a marvellous centreman for his entire career. Wasn't a noted goal kicker, but set up many goals himself.

I'm unsure where you get the fancy idea that midfielders chase and tackle their direct opponent. You rarely ever see it anywhere. That is why midfielders are assigned "taggers". Stanton is not a tagger....he is most likely to be tagged if he continues his ball getting and running ability.

Not really sure how you judge a player's performance. If he gets 30 possessions, then his direct opponent hasn't bothered to chase and tackle him (one would assume). As for cheap kicks in the backline.....well, if we have possession, then we can set up an attack from anywhere on the field.

As far as I can see, Stanton has improved his disposal. I would like to see him kick a couple of goals occasionally, but as I pointed out, Misiti was not noted for that either. As for his disposal being "poor under pressure".....well blow me down, fancy stuffing a kick up when you are under pressure. How many effective disposals have you seen from a player tackled by Alwyn Davey?.....
Call it fanciful, but not manning up through the middle has cost us two games this year. It's a disgrace. Our midfielders, in particular Stanton, need to work harder when we don't have the ball. When a team gets on a roll, we simply can't stop it. Happened against Carlton and on Anzac day against Collingwood. The ball goes flying into the oppositions forwards so quickly that our defenders simply don't have a chance – hence Fev kicked 5 in one quarter against us. The Swans apply hideous amounts of pressure through the middle – hence they are extremely effective.

As far as Stanton's disposal goes, it's nowhere near the level of the top midfielders in the AFL. It's good compared to the disposal of a lot of Essendon's midfielders, but poor compared to the top liners.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Call it fanciful, but not manning up through the middle has cost us two games this year. It's a disgrace. Our midfielders, in particular Stanton, need to work harder when we don't have the ball. When a team gets on a roll, we simply can't stop it. Happened against Carlton and on Anzac day against Collingwood. The ball goes flying into the oppositions forwards so quickly that our defenders simply don't have a chance – hence Fev kicked 5 in one quarter against us. The Swans apply hideous amounts of pressure through the middle – hence they are extremely effective.

As far as Stanton's disposal goes, it's nowhere near the level of the top midfielders in the AFL. It's good compared to the disposal of a lot of Essendon's midfielders, but poor compared to the top liners.
I would attribute a lot of our problem against Carlton to our weak effort in the ruck - not giving our midfielders a good opportunity to gain possession, and also the strange decision not to block Fev's space in the forward line. Of course Carlton midfielders are going to stream through the middle if their ruckman palms straight into their lap. Our shitness in front of goal didn't help either.

Dunno how you can attribute our loss to Collingwood to Stanton. Laycock got 7 taps for the day. You're pushing shit up hill when that is the case. To get 30 possessions (even if most were in the defensive part of the ground), says that he got himself into the right positions and won the ball - and delivered it well. Can you tell me who his direct opponent was?

Heath Shaw got heaps of the ball and set up many Collingwood attacks. Perhaps you would like to name his opponent. Was it Stanton?

I'm not trying to suggest that he is a better kick than Judd, Kerr etc. Who the f*** is?

And yes, the Swans do put pressure in the midfield. But name me one "skillful" midfielder amongst them......to me, the Swans have 3 Peverill's in the centre - all tagging types who throw themselves at their opponent to create a stoppage or to create a turnover for their team.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Not sure where the critisism is coming from for Stants.

He gets a lot of uncontested possession but would that be because he runs his arse off to get free? Not to mention that uncontested footy is how the game is played these days...

I would much rather see him get 25-35 pieces of the ball and be attacking than get 10-15 and try to negate his opponent.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

gringo wrote:Stanton's stats are misleading. The bulk of his possessions were cheap, meaningless touches around the half back line. His disposal under pressure is still very poor and he has no interest in manning up when the ball is going the other way.
considering at half time the contested/uncontested ratio was somethink like 1:30, high u/c possessions cant be frowned upon.

his delivery is ok, but considering this is what, his 2nd regular game year, he isnt doing bad.

also consider we spent most the day with an injured Lloyd as our only target, and Lucas and Johns were pressing up to the flanks, forward delivery was halted due to a lack of targets.

we were outplayed. struggle on big grounds. Dome move was the worst decision ever.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Brent Stanton got 3 votes from the AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year Award against Collingwood. Not bad for someone who supposedly cost us the game.......Image
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:Brent Stanton got 3 votes from the AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year Award against Collingwood. Not bad for someone who supposedly cost us the game.......Image
Can you tell me where you find that info Ben? Are the votes available via the net or something?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Brent Stanton got 3 votes from the AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year Award against Collingwood. Not bad for someone who supposedly cost us the game.......Image
Can you tell me where you find that info Ben? Are the votes available via the net or something?
Not too sure Mr Soprano....they announced it on "Footy Classified" last night.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

More importantly, how did you come across that smiley face?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:More importantly, how did you come across that smiley face?
I copped a few in my time... :wink:

Uploaded image from internet.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

gringo, stick to the bagging of Jobe, so far this season you have been proven right (although I bet he will turn it around by the 2nd half of the season - maybe some private lessons with his old man?).

But Stants the man? This is well out of order, he is our number one gun midfielder. Here's a list of a few more midfielder's that don't man up & chase hard - Buckley, Hird, Misiti, Kerr, Judd, Cousins, Black, Lappin, Burgoynes - do you want me to continue? The only topline gun midfielders who man up & chase as if they really mean it (from the last few years) who i can name off the top of my head are Voss, Power, Jude Bolton (not really a gun but handy).

The bulk of them are as loose as shit & only chase half heartedly. Stants is the LEAST of our problems - as BD said, look at our crap rucks for starters.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
Please, just call me Tony. :wink:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
Please, just call me Tony. :wink:
Yes Sir! I will.........Tony 8)
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

BenDoolan wrote:
dom_105 wrote:More importantly, how did you come across that smiley face?
I copped a few in my time... :wink:

Uploaded image from internet.
Try googling emoticons