Jason Laycock

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Jason Laycock

Post by robbie67 »

Cant even fking jump.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Very average. Not up to it. Sad to say cause I like him.
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

Just not fit enough & he isn't on his own
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Doesnt demand the footy. Looks only to do minimal work.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Just back from the game (left halfway through the 4th), and obviously Laycock must've been as bad on TV as he was live.

Jason Laycock = Steven King. Too slow, can't jump, doesn't do anything around the ground. I know with Steven King (Geelong ruckman), the game has passed him by because of injuries and rule changes. I don't know to what extent Laycock has been afflicted in the same way, but he sucked today and reminded me exactly of the pathetic Steven King that Geelong have dropped.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Tooooo soft.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

He needs to take some lessons from Davey about work ethic on the park.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I always thought that Cartledge was a better option than Laycock. He showed a bit in the few games he played towards the end of last year. That was probably why he got delisted and they kept Laycock ](*,)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:I always thought that Cartledge was a better option than Laycock. He showed a bit in the few games he played towards the end of last year. That was probably why he got delisted and they kept Laycock ](*,)
AND he was only 21 I think, and everybody knows that ruckmen take a while to develop. Except for Sheeds obviously.

Although Hille has hardly improved over the years.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

probably couldnt beat a jam tin in a ruck contest
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

j-mac wrote:
swoodley wrote:I always thought that Cartledge was a better option than Laycock. He showed a bit in the few games he played towards the end of last year. That was probably why he got delisted and they kept Laycock ](*,)
AND he was only 21 I think, and everybody knows that ruckmen take a while to develop. Except for Sheeds obviously.

I think Sheeds and the recruiting panel were on the money delisting Cartlage.

I know big men develop later, but surely they have to show some improvement early even if it is only minimal. Neither Cartlage or Laycock have shown any improvement, Laycock gets another year because injuries mean we havnt got a look at him. Id say at the end of this year he might end up playing back with Cartlage if he doesnt improve remarkably.

Whilst as long as Hill keeps teasing us with the occasional dominating performance around the ground Sheeds will persist with him even though he has never shown anything when it comes to ruckwork. IMO Hill would make an excellent second ruckman/forward so the only real issue there is that he has incorrectly been trusted with the no.1 ruck duties for far too long.

Ryder be developed with the view that he will be a No.1 ruck. This crap about wearing him out is exactly that, CRAP!!. Brogan, Cox, White, Simmonds and most of all Lade have proven a good strong ruckman can handle the role and are no more prone to injury than any others.

Hopefully, we can transition the No.1 ruck to Ryder slowely over the next 2 years and Hill can end his career, playing as a second string and a very handy one at that.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

good player, needs a decent run in the seniors to blossom and will do so.

good footy brain, good grab.

You'll all be eating your words by season end.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

i hope so tom, i hope so or else we find ourseleves with another problem
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Mmmn I can't help but remember him playing well a couple fo years ago in the forward pocket taking strong contested marks so the ability is there but not being shown at the moment.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

oh and Jason Laycock has managed 28 senior games.

I think posters on this board are being a little tough on the bloke...I think he has the hallmarks of a champion.

I certainly don't think Jonathan Brown for example was the player he is now after 28 games.

With some good player management and a little bit of luck Laycock will play nearly all 22 games this season.

Essendon has always been in a position to be a real threat in 08/09...not 07.

We got the jump on some decent opponents(adelaide/freo/st kilda) when those teams were either gutted through injury or underprepared.

the EFC obviously had an excellent pre-season, because we hit the ground running.....now every other club is up and going is where it gets tough.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:oh and Jason Laycock has managed 28 senior games.

I think posters on this board are being a little tough on the bloke...I think he has the hallmarks of a champion.

I certainly don't think Jonathan Brown for example was the player he is now after 28 games.

With some good player management and a little bit of luck Laycock will play nearly all 22 games this season.

We got the jump on some decent opponents(adelaide/freo/st kilda) when those teams were either gutted through injury or underprepared.

the EFC obviously had an excellent pre-season, because we hit the ground running.....now every other club is up and going is where it gets tough.
Yes, but Paddy Ryder's only played 15 games and he shits all over him as a ruckman already. Not to mention that Ryder's only spent 5 minutes in the ruck compared to Laycock. This is his 5th season on the list and he has just been rewarded another contract. Time to produce!!!! I like the bloke, but he's been a huge disappointment no matter how much spin you put on it.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sol wrote:
j-mac wrote:

I think Sheeds and the recruiting panel were on the money delisting Cartlage.

I know big men develop later, but surely they have to show some improvement early even if it is only minimal. Neither Cartlage or Laycock have shown any improvement, Laycock gets another year because injuries mean we havnt got a look at him. Id say at the end of this year he might end up playing back with Cartlage if he doesnt improve remarkably.

Whilst as long as Hill keeps teasing us with the occasional dominating performance around the ground Sheeds will persist with him even though he has never shown anything when it comes to ruckwork. IMO Hill would make an excellent second ruckman/forward so the only real issue there is that he has incorrectly been trusted with the no.1 ruck duties for far too long.

Ryder be developed with the view that he will be a No.1 ruck. This crap about wearing him out is exactly that, CRAP!!. Brogan, Cox, White, Simmonds and most of all Lade have proven a good strong ruckman can handle the role and are no more prone to injury than any others.

Hopefully, we can transition the No.1 ruck to Ryder slowely over the next 2 years and Hill can end his career, playing as a second string and a very handy one at that.
Definitely agree on Ryder and that crap. I agree in part with what you say about Hille, but I don't think he'd be an excellent back up, just a good one.

But I really disagree on Cartledge. Yes injuries have prevented us from seeing the best of Laycock, but Sheeds prevented us from seeing any of Cartledge unless we went and watched Bendigo. Cartledge didn't show improvement because he didn't get games early, he just showed very good potential. If you are going to only keep one developing ruckman out of two with potential, surely you'd keep the one who gets onto the park more often!?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

No preseason, still developing. When he learns to use his bulk he will be a very competitve ruckman.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

BenDoolan wrote:
tom9779 wrote:oh and Jason Laycock has managed 28 senior games.

Yes, but Paddy Ryder's only played 15 games and he shits all over him as a ruckman already. Not to mention that Ryder's only spent 5 minutes in the ruck compared to Laycock. This is his 5th season on the list and he has just been rewarded another contract. Time to produce!!!! I like the bloke, but he's been a huge disappointment no matter how much spin you put on it.
Ryder is a very special player.

could be our next brownlow medalist in years to come.

Laycock will produce this season.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote: Ryder is a very special player.

could be our next brownlow medalist in years to come.

Laycock will produce this season.
I hope so....we need him to. Hopefully starting on Friday night!

Ryder is a gun, we gotta look after this guy. Real class.