Anyone thought about this yet?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Anyone thought about this yet?

Post by Madden »

.... Hawthorn are a pretty good side.

We might very well have lost to a team that is going to finish in the 8.

Thoughts?
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Agreed.

Didn't see the game because was playing myself, but not suprised by the result.

They're quite underrated and will suprise most sides.

They are a year or two ahead of us in their development and I take it that it showed today.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

They look pretty decent but we gave it up a lot. I can think of quite a few turnovers that directly resulted in goals. (eg Stanton's poor handball to Peverill with the ugly bounce... Dyson handballs directly to an opponent... etc)

I can also think of quite a few skill errors that cost us goals. (Laycock on the wing out on the full, Davey kick into the man in the square, McVeigh long bomb from 60 with an open F50 kicks to the only man within coo-ee standing in the GS).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Shit...not more logic in this forum...what is the world coming to?

I couldn't figure out how we were being touted as such hot favourites today. Hawthorn have looked fairly reasonable this year and have probably shown better form.

They have a reasonable ruckman, fairly proficient midfield and some damaging forwards including one of the game's next superstars.

I think they're closer to finals football than we are.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I think people know Hawthorn are a decent side, but we played absolutely shithouse today, hence the venting.

The Bulldogs thrashed the Hawks last week because they ran hard and capitalised on the Hawks' skill errors - Hawthorn have some poorly skilled players in their team like we do and they give the opposition plenty of chances. The Bulldogs gave us a blueprint with which to beat the Hawks, and we completely ignored that blueprint. We didn't run hard, didn't draw errors from Hawthorn, and frankly i thought we just looked dishevelled and disinterested today, which was pathetic given we had an extra 3 days' rest over them.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I picked Hawthorn to win in my tips.

They are a better team than us, and they have some good kids coming through. They made tough decisions a few years back and got rid of some shit players and played the youth. Still think they are lacking up down back, but are a decent team.

A fair way better than us, thats for sure.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Very impressed with their skill, speed, talent and game plan. They worked us out after 15 minutes and controlled the rest of the match. They harrassed, tackled and applied pressure at every contest. We didn't. I simply don't think we have a Plan B when the opposition execute their suffocating tactics in our forward line.

Lance Franklin was absolutely amazing today. While at the other end....Scotty had a stinker.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

As a footy fan, Hawthorn has Crawford, Franklin, Croad, Brown, Hodge mixed with Roughnut, Whatisname, Thingamejigger, Whoisthat, Neverfuckingheardofhim, with the majority of them young and they play pretty good footy.

I really don't think we were THAT bad.

Franklin crapped on us but he is a really good boy, let's face it and he was on today.

We were beaten by a very tight and well drilled team today.

I think you should sit back and say for the sake of Hawthorn that Clarkson is doing some really good things with his kids.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Franklin had a crapload of luck go his way today. Tell me how often a smother off the man on the mark rebounds to you inside your forward 50 when you're 5 metres clear on anyone and then snap a goal.

A lot of his goals were from great delivery too. If Fletcher or McPhee or whoever, were in front then the ball would go over the back. If Franklin was in fron then the ball would come in low and hit him on the chest. The midfield can actually hit a target and kick to advantage. Ours can't. That's the difference between Franklin getting 9 today, and Scotty getting 1.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

What do you mean Hawthorn is a good side? Adelaide, St Kilda and Fremantle are better then Hawthorn, we managed to beat them. We should stop making excuses for our losses, we deserved it.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

bombercol wrote:
I really don't think we were THAT bad.
I actually agree. We weren't great (but what do you expect, we won 3 games last year), and we were beaten by a better side today.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

KaaN10 wrote:What do you mean Hawthorn is a good side? Adelaide, St Kilda and Fremantle are better then Hawthorn, we managed to beat them. We should stop making excuses for our losses, we deserved it.
Hawthorn taught us a footy lesson today KaaN. Whether we actually learn something is another matter....
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

I still think Hawthorn are OVERrated. They won because 1 man kicked 9 goals - almost half their score. Without it, they would've kicked as per their average - 11 goals and we would've won by 4 goals. Almost a one man band methinks. Add to that, it's not like we gave them much opposition.

Against decent teams, they struggle. Lost to Brisbane, won't be at all surprised if they lose to Freo next week in Perth. Port Adelaide at home won't be an easy task. As I said, I don't think they're that great.

Make a preliminary final or two and I might rate them.
Finals team yes, contenders for the flag definitely not.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

--

As a side note - whats with this on Bomberland...
Hawthorn 20.11.131
Franklin 9, Dixon 3, Roughhead 2, Boyle, Hodge, Murphy, Lewis

By my calculations that only equates to 18 goals. Where have the other 2 magically appeared from :?:
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Agree 100%. Hawthorn have been pretty disappointing the past few years, but they have got al the draft picks they need, got rid of the hanger-ons (i.e. Everitt) and the young kids are coming out of their shell. They are a very good side. I would not be surprised if they make the 8 this year, and will have a good crack at the premiership in the next few years. They are a very hard running team.