Embarrassing!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Embarrassing!!!

Post by merc_2 »

Just got back from the match, and what a major disappointment. With Pev, JJ and Jobe in the centre, what hope do we have. We got smashed by a tagger in Sewell.
We have the worse midfield going around....and where is the real passion. We looked like we were going through the motions (exceptions being Davey and Ryder).
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We havent improved on last year. The disposal today was pathetic. Honest to god, if they were playing in the DVFL, they would have lost.

Time to bite the bulle ad de-list some senior players and play some kids. If the kids had put in a performance like that, then I wouldnt be so pissed. But we had alot of players who have played over 100 games playing today and barely any of them stood up.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Don't think it was embarrassing at all. Hawthorn were too good. Franklin was magnificent.

I thought we were OK really.....Jobe I thought was great, so was JJ and got a lot of the ball and was OK.

Hawthorn were too good.

Our disposal was a big part of our troubles.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

We can't afford to have Watson, JJ and Peverill in the middle at one time. Each of them have their strengths, which are excellent, but they all have one component lacking... pace. We need to rotate those guys through the middle if they're all in the same team, and complement them with quick, skillful players. This makes it all the more baffling that Houli didn't get a game on ANZAC Day. (Yes, I know JJ didn't play but the same theory applied since we were coming off a 4 day break).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Boyler_Room wrote:We can't afford to have Watson, JJ and Peverill in the middle at one time. Each of them have their strengths, which are excellent, but they all have one component lacking... pace. We need to rotate those guys through the middle if they're all in the same team, and complement them with quick, skillful players. This makes it all the more baffling that Houli didn't get a game on ANZAC Day. (Yes, I know JJ didn't play but the same theory applied since we were coming off a 4 day break).
Hallelujah! Amen! Praise thee for he hath seen thy light!!!!!!

This was my objection to us bringing in Watson today. JJ does whatever Watson does, except better. Peverill has been amongst our most consistent players this year and cannot be dropped. WATSON IS A SLOW, POORLY SKILLED PLAYER; PEVERILL AND JJ ARE FAR SUPERIOR PLAYERS OF THE SAME MOULD AND WE CANNOT HAVE 3 (THREE) PLAYERS ALL OF THAT MOULD IN THE MIDFIELD!. This was our problem last year and everyone complained about how slow were were, so why the f*** did we revert back to our bad old ways?!

I don't care if Watson played "OK" today. The fact is, if we have Pev and JJ already there, picking Watson in addition to those two is completely nonsensical and a combination of those 3 would be the slowest midfield in the league.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:We havent improved on last year.
We've won the same number of games in 6 weeks as we did in 22 weeks last year.

That's a dead set stupid comment, and you know it.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

I'm gunna be bold here and say, McPhee YOU SUCK! Far too many times Lance "Bloody" Franklin got the ball without any contest from Smokey. And watching the replays during the Adelaide v Filth match tonight, it was even clearer, he didn't even attempt to spoil! At least Fletch punches or tries to spoil. All Smokey could manage was a little love tap. Yeah - thats really going to work!

Why is it, that week in, week out, we put our #2 or #3 (or lower?) defender on the opposition's #1 forward? Fevola, Franklin, Rocca, Gehrig (I'm convinced him out was the difference). Need I go on?

I'm by no means a fair weather supporter (I go when I can, and stick it out to the end - despite how hard today was) and I'm not one to bag players, but I seriously think, if Smokey considers himself a defender, he's got a long way to go. I shudder to think of the crap we're gunna be subjected to when Fletch hangs up the boots.

Just a very disappointed Bomber fan here - it's getting awfully hard to take. :(
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

YES Hawthorn were too good today and deserved to win. Franklin played a blinder.....but that game was lost in 15 minutes in the 2nd quarter when our midfield got smashed. Peverill deserves a place. But to have Watson and JJ in there with him, was where the game was lost. Franklin was licking his lips the way the Hawthorn midfield was lining up and put it on his chest........YES EMBARRASSING!
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

OHHH forgot to add.....we were okay????? Were u at the match. We were pathetic today.
Trent
Top Up Player

Post by Trent »

bombers_rock wrote:I'm gunna be bold here and say, McPhee YOU SUCK! Far too many times Lance "Bloody" Franklin got the ball without any contest from Smokey. And watching the replays during the Adelaide v Filth match tonight, it was even clearer, he didn't even attempt to spoil! At least Fletch punches or tries to spoil. All Smokey could manage was a little love tap. Yeah - thats really going to work!

Why is it, that week in, week out, we put our #2 or #3 (or lower?) defender on the opposition's #1 forward? Fevola, Franklin, Rocca, Gehrig (I'm convinced him out was the difference). Need I go on?

I'm by no means a fair weather supporter (I go when I can, and stick it out to the end - despite how hard today was) and I'm not one to bag players, but I seriously think, if Smokey considers himself a defender, he's got a long way to go. I shudder to think of the crap we're gunna be subjected to when Fletch hangs up the boots.

Just a very disappointed Bomber fan here - it's getting awfully hard to take. :(
McPhee played on Franklin in the practice match against Hawthorn at Casey Fields about 6 or 7 weeks ago for the same result. If I can remember this, why can't someone else ... it's not Adam's fault, it's not his position and we lost his creativity and running off the half-back flank as result.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

McPhee = 189cm, 88kg
Franklin = 196cm, 99kg

Franklin kicked 4 on McPhee (all in the 2nd Q).

Fletcher = 199cm, 100kg (a better match up one would have thought)

Franklin kicked another 5.

Can someone tell me the thought process of having McPhee on Franklin in the first place? When I saw them standing side by side, I thought, SHIT!

However, in saying that, he was gonna kick 9 goals no matter who was there....
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Nobody was going to beat Franklin yesterday, and it's hard to blame McPhee when he was caught out by our midfield constantly turning the ball over.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's time to get rid of the dead wood who won't be helping us win a flag.

I don't mind sitting mid table this year if we can blood some younger players and set ourselves up for 2008 and beyond.

Maybe GOD can take over the coaching reigns and have Sheeds their to support him until next year.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:We havent improved on last year.
We've won the same number of games in 6 weeks as we did in 22 weeks last year.

That's a dead set stupid comment, and you know it.
Look past the position on the ladder.

Our skill level is pathetic.

Apart from Davey and Ryder, which of the young ones have stepped up? Or even been given a chance too? Monfries is not going to learn much more playing on the HFF. Play him in the middle for a bit.

We still lack a game plan. In the rare occurance that we win the hit out, all we do is snap kick it forward. In theory thats ok, but if the opposition are playing a loose man in defence, it gets shut down real quick.

Nobody seems to like to man up.

When he get to HB, we have no targets further up the field. AT one stage ysterday we had Lucas and Johns leading so far up the field that when they got it, they had no target to kick to at CHF. Surely laycock can make a target for himself? Or if Lucas goes up the field, Johns can stay back?

This is the exact same crap that was happening last year, and we have added Lloyd and Michael to the team

If thats an improvement then its going to be a very very very slow progress.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

swooper wrote:Nobody was going to beat Franklin yesterday, and it's hard to blame McPhee when he was caught out by our midfield constantly turning the ball over.
Agree - but McPhee should not be taking the opp's best fwd when Fletch and Michael are in the side.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

McPhee should never have been on Franklin. Totally agree, Fletch or Michael are in the side to take the main forwards.
An experiment gone wrong...AGAIN!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

the worst aspect of saturdays game was.

1. getting beaten badly in our forward line.
2. unforced errors and turnovers.

Sheedy needed to gamble earlier and made a move in our forward line.

Johns and Lucas, it just wasn't working.

Michael to FF was a breath of fresh air...pity it happened 10 minutes too late.

Where has Sheeds the move maker gone??? is he ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL?
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Perhaps Johns and Lucas would have worked if they were in the forward 50? :shock:
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

McPhee was struggling on Franklin but wasn't moved until Franklin had kicked his 5th. We should have tried something alot earlier.