The Lost Boys

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

The Lost Boys

Post by BenDoolan »

Well, sitting at the game and now reflecting on what happened out there today, I believe we have a problem. It's not just the usual scapegoats in Bradley, Watson, Dyson, Heffernan & co, it's a team issue.

Far too often I witnessed players running down the back flank, along the wing, and then there was NOTHING! Too many times the ball carrier had NO option in the forward 50. This is why we saw blokes inexplicably handball or just kick directly to an unmarked Hawthorn backman or simply played kick to kick across the ground until we lost possession which ultimately cost us a goal. Hawthorn executed their tactics perfectly, but we simply had NO answer.

Our players looked lost, confused and clueless during the course of some passages. Some didn't know where to lead, who to pick up or even when to present or even how to create space.

We can grill our players for poor disposal, poor options, lack of pressure etc, but I'm looking to the coaches box for some sort of PLAN to counter opposition tactics that seem to suffocate us. Any team watching us today (of course Hawthorn did their homework) will employ similar tactics with the exact same result.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: The Lost Boys

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote:
Far too often I witnessed players running down the back flank, along the wing, and then there was NOTHING! Too many times the ball carrier had NO option in the forward 50. This is why we saw blokes inexplicably handball or just kick directly to an unmarked Hawthorn backman or simply played kick to kick across the ground until we lost possession which ultimately cost us a goal.
Absolutely f**king spot on.

I yelled out "give him something to kick to" more times than i could count today.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Like I said...

our forward line was abducted by aliens for about half the match.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Couldn't agree more.

In another post I've specifically targeted Smokey, but I do agree, it's not just him. That was just one thing, in particular, that I saw that left me shaking my head and has led to my bitter disappointment.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Absolutely spot on. Our players refused to work hard and create space for the ball carrier. They were standing still. Unlike Hawthorn who run hard all day.
The Dog
Top Up Player

Post by The Dog »

I agree. I felt we missed having two key fowards who can push up to the wings and flanks and take a contested mark. John's played well however seems lost when he is not leading out of the square. Lucus just had a bad day and didnt appear to me to be presenting up the ground as often as usual.

I believe this is what lead us to our short chp kicking game. However this was also contributed by the hard defensive running by Hawthorne. As they got so many men back we had no choice but to go short and "spot up" players. There was 2 problems with this 1. we dont have to foot skills to play that way for extended periods and 2. we did not take risks. We needed someone to break the lines, McPhee did it a few times and so did Mal on one occasion. A player like NLM would have been quite handy as he loves to run at players and take risks. At the end of the day without defenders running and carrying we needed a big forward to comand the ball down the wing however we had no one willing to work.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Spot on Doolie.

The Dog made the the point about Scotty not presenting as often as usual - I think that had a lot to do with the extra Hawk defender (usually Croad) blocking his space. I guess he thought "why run there if another bloke is going to get in my way".

If the floating player is manned up (which Sheeds did with Hodge) then it becomes far more difficult for the sweeper.
Trent
Top Up Player

Post by Trent »

Nobody runs (except A.Davey) ... hence you have Lucas and Johns leading up to the wing to get a kick and no targets left inside 50. Lucas presented when he got the chance, but didn't have much support to be honest ... therefore his game looked a lot worse than it was!

When we do get it inside 50 and lose possession it's usually rebounded to the other end with a minimum of fuss. And our defensive running (i'm talking about the midfield pushing back has been a big worry for sometime), so this is not something new. But after watching two games (vs. Coll and Haw) that have essentially been played in one half of the ground for three quarters, i'm really surprised about the lack of attacking running forward to present as a target.

We had as good a pre-season as any other team and I suspected that the rest of the field was going to be as fit or fitter than us by now, but I didn't expect the team to be so flat after only 6 weeks of footy and a 10 day break. :-(
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Trent wrote:Nobody runs (except A.Davey)
Rubbish. Pev and Stants run all day.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:Well, sitting at the game and now reflecting on what happened out there today, I believe we have a problem. It's not just the usual scapegoats in Bradley, Watson, Dyson, Heffernan & co, it's a team issue.

Far too often I witnessed players running down the back flank, along the wing, and then there was NOTHING! Too many times the ball carrier had NO option in the forward 50. This is why we saw blokes inexplicably handball or just kick directly to an unmarked Hawthorn backman or simply played kick to kick across the ground until we lost possession which ultimately cost us a goal. Hawthorn executed their tactics perfectly, but we simply had NO answer.
Our players looked lost, confused and clueless during the course of some passages. Some didn't know where to lead, who to pick up or even when to present or even how to create space.

We can grill our players for poor disposal, poor options, lack of pressure etc, but I'm looking to the coaches box for some sort of PLAN to counter opposition tactics that seem to suffocate us. Any team watching us today (of course Hawthorn did their homework) will employ similar tactics with the exact same result.
I think this is what Robbie67 was eluding to in regards to not having Hille.
While we all (most) have doubts on his rucking ability, you can bet your sorry arse that he will at least provide a target on the wing which would leave Lloyd, Lucas and Johns circling within 80 meters from goal.

Stants and Pev run all day, but they are hardly the blokes to take contested marks on the wing. Hawthorn had a game plan on how to block up the space, we didnt.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Trent
Top Up Player

Post by Trent »

robbie67 wrote:
Trent wrote:Nobody runs (except A.Davey)
Rubbish. Pev and Stants run all day.
I was refering to the last two games ... :wink: Granted, Stants and Pev have been the best of the rest, but they've all looked as flat as a tack (ex. Davey).
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Well, sitting at the game and now reflecting on what happened out there today, I believe we have a problem. It's not just the usual scapegoats in Bradley, Watson, Dyson, Heffernan & co, it's a team issue.

I think this is what Robbie67 was eluding to in regards to not having Hille.
While we all (most) have doubts on his rucking ability, you can bet your sorry arse that he will at least provide a target on the wing which would leave Lloyd, Lucas and Johns circling within 80 meters from goal.

Stants and Pev run all day, but they are hardly the blokes to take contested marks on the wing. Hawthorn had a game plan on how to block up the space, we didnt.
Even if Hird could be left in the square and Lucas could also provide a target further up the ground with Hille.