Shearse reads these boards!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

There is no point in making the finals and just making up the numbers. When we do make the finals whenever that will be we must be prepared to give it a real crack.

There are several players on the list that won't be able to help the club do that.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Yep, the people have spoken.

Although I cant recall too many calling for Monfries' head?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Yep, the people have spoken.

Although I cant recall too many calling for Monfries' head?
Over at Bomberblitz there are a few....
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The confronting statistic in Sheahan's article is that every week this season, we've had less inside 50's that our opposition. This means we're either relying on a very efficient attack or a very miserly defence to win us games - in short, that statistic demonstrates how bad we really are in the midfield and ruck. Sol's thread on this in the Game Discussion highlights this point, and it's very true.

The weeks where we have won have mainly been because of Lucas' excellent efforts, ably assisted by Lloyd. In the three matches we've lost, Lucas has played poorly and Lloyd has been absent, playing injured or playing poorly. Our defence has also been pretty good thus far, mainly courtesy of Fletcher.

Bottom line is that we aren't going to be winning too many games if our midfield continually fails to give our forwards enough chances.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

robrulz5 wrote:There is no point in making the finals and just making up the numbers. When we do make the finals whenever that will be we must be prepared to give it a real crack.

There are several players on the list that won't be able to help the club do that.
Just like we did between 2002 & 2004 - where you might as well called us Sixthdon. I call them the wasted years, as we didn't blood anyone half decent, kept recruiting has-beens from the Bloos & basically treaded water for 3 seasons.

I would have preferred a big clean out in 2002 & 2003, a faster plummet down the ladder there after & we would be easily the match of the Hawks or the Pies in their current development, as we would have picked up better draft picks.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Just like we did between 2002 & 2004 - where you might as well called us Sixthdon. I call them the wasted years, as we didn't blood anyone half decent, kept recruiting has-beens from the Bloos & basically treaded water for 3 seasons.

I would have preferred a big clean out in 2002 & 2003, a faster plummet down the ladder there after & we would be easily the match of the Hawks or the Pies in their current development, as we would have picked up better draft picks.
It would have been unlikely you would have got the fans or the board onside in 2002-2004 for a cleanout... I seem to recall that everyone thought we were potentially a top 4 side at the start of each of those years - so no clean out!

Also I seem to recall some good players being let go and replaced (due to salary cap pressures and AFL penalties) with "reconditioned" and recycled players replacing them (McPhee came via this route).

Apart from the importance of list management, recruiting and fitness, it is clear that the last 5-6 years have taught supporters that winning flags is important, not just making finals.

At this stage - I don't care too much if we lose a few games as long as the players who will be at the club in 2 years time, learn and develelop from the experience . Hopefully, they will be in contention by then.

For me, the key questions are: can this young player learn and develop? And can this experienced player (who wont be around in 2 years) help develop the young players (leadership, skills, etc)?

Cheers - STI
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

STI, if there were any records of the old BT in existence, I (along with dodgey, I think) back in 2003 & 2004 used to go on n about giving the young blokes a go. Some of the old timers like filthy & R67 may remember.

I coined the phrase 'Sixthdon' during the season of 2004 as everyone used to take the mickey out of Ninthmond & I used to argue that we weren't that much better. We were consistently making up the numbers in those finals & it was obvious that the teams with consistent success had bottomed out 5 years earlier.

A lot of people were smug about the Bombers never having to bottom out like other teams & I was arguing that it was a necessary part of the rebuilding process nowadays. So unfortunately I could be smug now & say I was right & a lot of others were wrong, but that doesn't give me any satisfaction.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

CameronClayton wrote:STI, if there were any records of the old BT in existence, I (along with dodgey, I think) back in 2003 & 2004 used to go on n about giving the young blokes a go. Some of the old timers like filthy & R67 may remember.

I coined the phrase 'Sixthdon' during the season of 2004 as everyone used to take the mickey out of Ninthmond & I used to argue that we weren't that much better. We were consistently making up the numbers in those finals & it was obvious that the teams with consistent success had bottomed out 5 years earlier.

A lot of people were smug about the Bombers never having to bottom out like other teams & I was arguing that it was a necessary part of the rebuilding process nowadays. So unfortunately I could be smug now & say I was right & a lot of others were wrong, but that doesn't give me any satisfaction.
correct....

Sheedy is the KING of "minimising" Losses by recruiting and playing experienced players usually at the cost of younger players. Now whilst our recruiting has been crap in past years and most of the 2001/2003 recruits are gone, we still don't give the kids enough time. there is usually a revolving door with young guys in and out of the side too quickly.

IMO...the next 3 weeks will determine Sheedy's Fate. And for Me a lot of it will be decided at the selection table this Thursday night. if at least 3 out of MJ, Bolton, Dyson, Laycock, Lovett, Heffernan and Watson AREN'T dropped for the likes of Houli, Lonegran and the likes. then it will blatantly show that Sheedy isn't going to promote the youth and reward good performances at bendigo, and send a clear message to the senior team that "passengers" won't be tolerated.

i will re-visit my thoughts on friday morning
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

CameronClayton wrote:STI, if there were any records of the old BT in existence, I (along with dodgey, I think) back in 2003 & 2004 used to go on n about giving the young blokes a go. Some of the old timers like filthy & R67 may remember.

When has bottoming out ever guaranteed success? The teams that trolled ther bottom of the ladder have had no more success than us. St Kilda Richmondfor example. Spent their time in the cellar for what result?

How much time have Port and Brisbane spent out and have already rebuilt.

I am proud of the achievments of this club over the period you speak of. We resisted the equalizing force of the AFL for longer than any other club, we also gave ourselves a crack however small at more flags by making the finals. Adelaide showed twice how valuiable that opportunity can be.

We have now bottomed out as you wanted to do instead of playing finals, and are now a competitive team. Do you suggest we tank the rest of the season to get more big draft picks? Should we give up any season we might not finish top 4 to enhance draft picks?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

And this is why the cyclical nature of the competition just doesn't work.

There is more motivation from clubs to come 15/16th then there is to come 10/9th.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Sismis wrote:

When has bottoming out ever guaranteed success? The teams that trolled ther bottom of the ladder have had no more success than us. St Kilda Richmondfor example. Spent their time in the cellar for what result?

I am proud of the achievments of this club over the period you speak of. We resisted the equalizing force of the AFL for longer than any other club, we also gave ourselves a crack however small at more flags by making the finals. Adelaide showed twice how valuiable that opportunity can be.

We have now bottomed out as you wanted to do instead of playing finals, and are now a competitive team. Do you suggest we tank the rest of the season to get more big draft picks? Should we give up any season we might not finish top 4 to enhance draft picks?
Sismis do you know why Port & the Bears are rebuilding faster than us. Because both those coached were ruthless with getting rid of premiership players soon after they won their flags. It took Port 2 years to get rid of half their premiership players - it took us 5 years to do the same. We hung on to too many older players too long - Ses, Mercs, Longy, Wallis. It's been going on for years - Tim Watson played 1 season too long in 1994 & now it looks like poor old Jimmy has been coerced into doing the same this year.

So keep kiddin yourself Sismis that 2002 to 2004 were successful years.

I don't believe in tanking games, but I predicted a 13-14th finish for us this year with 7 wins & 15 losses, so we are travelling about as well as I expected. You probably went for a top 8 spot, so you will be massively disappointed. I also predicted back to back in 2010 & 2011, provided Sheedy bloods heaps of kids this year & is then given the flick.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

CameronClayton wrote:
Sismis wrote:

Sismis do you know why Port & the Bears are rebuilding faster than us. Because both those coached were ruthless with getting rid of premiership players soon after they won their flags. It took Port 2 years to get rid of half their premiership players - it took us 5 years to do the same. We hung on to too many older players too long - Ses, Mercs, Longy, Wallis. It's been going on for years - Tim Watson played 1 season too long in 1994 & now it looks like poor old Jimmy has been coerced into doing the same this year.

So keep kiddin yourself Sismis that 2002 to 2004 were successful years.

I don't believe in tanking games, but I predicted a 13-14th finish for us this year with 7 wins & 15 losses, so we are travelling about as well as I expected. You probably went for a top 8 spot, so you will be massively disappointed. I also predicted back to back in 2010 & 2011, provided Sheedy bloods heaps of kids this year & is then given the flick.
As far as can be told at this stage we are just as easily on track to make the finals and finish top 8 as well.

Hird has had impact in every game he has played. It may not be the impact he had in the prime of his career, but he has stil mroe than earned his spot on our list.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

dodgey wrote:

correct....

Sheedy is the KING of "minimising" Losses by recruiting and playing experienced players usually at the cost of younger players. Now whilst our recruiting has been crap in past years and most of the 2001/2003 recruits are gone, we still don't give the kids enough time. there is usually a revolving door with young guys in and out of the side too quickly.

IMO...the next 3 weeks will determine Sheedy's Fate. And for Me a lot of it will be decided at the selection table this Thursday night. if at least 3 out of MJ, Bolton, Dyson, Laycock, Lovett, Heffernan and Watson AREN'T dropped for the likes of Houli, Lonegran and the likes. then it will blatantly show that Sheedy isn't going to promote the youth and reward good performances at bendigo, and send a clear message to the senior team that "passengers" won't be tolerated.

i will re-visit my thoughts on friday morning
well...3 players from my list dropped and Houli promoted. It's a start