AFL 07

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

AFL 07

Post by citizenerased »

basically, i read this:
http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/afl-r ... 90275.html

This quote struck me:
"We have been consistent in recent years in saying that multi-coloured armbands, temporary tattoos or body advertising is not the most appropriate way of demonstrating support for causes.

"The only exemption is the police armband worn in the St Kilda-Hawthorn game which followed a decision some time ago to commemorate the deaths of two Victorian police officers (the Silk-Miller Cup)."

nice consistency Adrian. Speaking of the great man. Dwane (Russell, i think) seriously grilled him on the radio a couple of nights ago. Talk about artful dodging.
The AFL considers itself to be such a great community leader. Shall we call this year their off-track year

The AFL so far in 07 has:

Stuck to the ban of colored armbands for cancer awareness, although is happy for a different guernsay to be worn. Most likely because it gives them an upper hand in the away strip debate. (by the way-how is a yellow guernsay not body advertising?)

Revelations of salary cap allowances for drug rehabilitation for a player who hasnt been formally suspended since he hasnt been positively tested for drugs, so may not actually be on them, but they can have the cash anyway. The same extension need not apply to players with actual conditions...such as cancer...oop. that bloody word again Adrian.

Councilled a first year player for gambling "addiction" for a $10 bet on the brownlow. By the way, i put $50 on the brownlow last year...granted i made $200 back, should i seek councilling. those nasty TAB dealers are alluring.

Introduced a near impossible to consistently adjudicate rule on player contact to the back (touch=push), which has only served to frustrate players, coaches and fans, and make the umpires life impossible (who are these people in the grand scheme of the game anyway, huh? i dont remember players having such a great traditional role in the game anyway. Champion CEO's and Operations Officers. they are the true figures of the game)

Led the way in reason.
+Burgoyne/Goodes tribunal decisions
+Selwood/Headland
+Baker's 2+2=3 suspension
+Dean Solomon's apparently good track record. One week suspension, contested usually equals 2 by precedent. esp with carry over points and 2 appearances in a very short season so far
Carl Williams is probably cursing the fact the AFL doesnt run our courts. He'd be Police Commissioner by now :roll:

Ignored the requests of one of the great players in the history of the game, Buckley, to place a moratorium on the rules. Now no one is exactly sure what is right or wrong in the game.

Allowed the Umpires boss to inadvertently spell out favouritism for the games elite (definition of a ball player Giesch?), yet has imposed a Big Brother style clamp on any comments about the rules and the way the umpires may struggle to enforce them. At the same time, there can be acknowledgements of how their, human i must add, inability to adjudicate a dumb rule, with a softer stance on player contact than lawnbowls has, can cost a team a game.
--------
Thats the end of my rant and i really just wanted that off my chest.

This has nothing to do with Essendon per se, just the fact the last few years (perhaps coincidentally since Anderson stepped in), the AFL executive division appears to be run by the 3 stooges...well 2 of them anyway.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I must say that I am besides myself about this one.:evil:

In any corporation ( a normal one where the officers are accountable to the board of director) consistently flawed behaviour such as shown by Mr. Anderson will not be tolerated.

RESIGN NOW MR. ANDERSON YOU ARE PUTTING THE GAME IN DISREPUTE

And I am willing to contribute financially if the club gets a fine because the players will chose to wear a yellow armband.
Red and Black Forever
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Top post citizenerased! You have expressed my exact thoughts, however, I could never have put it in such calm notation.

Don't forget that the AFL also went OUT OF THEIR WAY to protect the identity of those players who tested positive to recreational drugs prior to the Ben Cousins fiasco. And now it's blowing up in their face.

This armband decision is one of the most ridiculous, pig headed, petty, pathetic and moronic decisions one would ever see.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

YO ADRIAN, do you even know the meaning of the word consistancy or tradition?

I count at least 4 instances since 2001 where the AFL has made execption and allow for "non traditional" armbands.

If it wasn't such a serious subject, it would be a joke.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:YO ADRIAN, do you even know the meaning of the word consistancy or tradition?

I count at least 4 instances since 2001 where the AFL has made execption and allow for "non traditional" armbands.

If it wasn't such a serious subject, it would be a joke.
Just take a look at the "reason" Adrian Arseholeson has given on the subject. It's laughable. It's insane.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Is the Ben cousins / WCE Salary Cap Relief a precedent for clubs with players on the tested positive to recreational drugs list.

Which therefore would enable clubs to seek Salary cap relief for those players who tested positive to have treatment
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

We're not allowed to wear yellow armbands BUT we can wear yellow bootlaces? :shock:

What a tool anderson is. :x

Maybe we should get the prospective yellow bootlaces and secure them rather tightly around anderson just below his chin :twisted:

How out of touch can this prick be?

This is/was a golden opportunity for the AFL to be seen in a good light.

Maybe anderson is a mole for soccer or the nrl
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

How are armbands "not the most appropriate way of demonstrating support for causes"?

People can see them and maybe even buy them at the ground, thus raising awareness and money.

Bootlaces can hardly be seen from the stands.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

j-mac wrote:How are armbands "not the most appropriate way of demonstrating support for causes"?

People can see them and maybe even buy them at the ground, thus raising awareness and money.

Bootlaces can hardly be seen from the stands.
And bootlaces wouldn't be a big seller either I would think.

People always notice when players wear armbands but how many look at bootlaces :roll:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

f*** me the boots some of these guys wear now days are loud enough without bloody yellow laces!!!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Western Red wrote:f*** me the boots some of these guys wear now days are loud enough without bloody yellow laces!!!
Yeah I remember when the player wearing black footy boots was not the odd one out!!

The AFL is starting to smell like a rotting corpse to me
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

I had to buy new boots this year (first time in 6) and it took me forever to find a plain pair of Addidas boots black with white stripes ($60.00 bargain!!!!!) but most of the stuff on offer would have been better suited at the nightclub!!!