Mark Bolton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jim
Top Up Player

Mark Bolton

Post by Jim »

what do we think of this...aah...player?

keep him or chop him?

chop.
Jim
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

backup player for when we don't have anyone to pick from
and he runs out games.

last season at the club.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Did I see him playing in the ruck????

What the???
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Will always give you everything he has, but is undone by a complete lack of football brain. Some of his more talented teammates could learn something from his attitude.

Unless there's a rash of injuries, then he should be at Bendigo. Give other guys a run. Bolts ain't the future of this club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tom9779 wrote:backup player for when we don't have anyone to pick fromand he runs out games.

last season at the club.
It's more like back up player who sheedy picks before better options in terms of the club's future. ](*,)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

chop it!

worst draft pick#4 ever
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Top bloke, handy footballer - just not at AFL level. Just can't settle into any particular role except a bits n pieces player.

He's just a band aid...."oops, we're bleeding in the backline"....yep, chuck Bolton down there...."sheesh, we're struggling up forward".....yep, chuck Bolton up there....."we cant get it out of the centre"....yep, chuck Bolton in there. And like most band aids, he comes unstuck.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

i like that benny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Great summary BD.

A lot of the game is played between the ears and Bolton just doesn't have the aggots for AFL.

An average AFL player wins, breaks even and loses a proportion of their matchups. A great player, e.g. Hird, usually wins or breaks even. Bolton loses or breaks even. Therefore, he's a liability. He's also too old to turn it around. He's taking up space on the list for someone who could be a player.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

He's great around the tan......
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Bolts is the same as Lalich was, someone you wish more than nearly anything could PLAY because he obviously WANTS to, so badly. But he just hasn't got the footy brain for AFL level. I feel for the guy. To all accounts he works harder than almost everyone else at the club, but it just isn't a natural thing for him. Training the house down doesn't make you James Hird.

It's why I want to slap players like Cupido. All the natural talent in the world wasted on a stupid player, when there's players who deserve the talent, like Mark who just don't have it.

I believe he tries his hardest and then some, which is why you'll never hear me hang shit on Bolts.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

How did he go at #4 in the draft then????????????
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

He's the best '27th best player on an AFL list' in the AFL
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Western Red you have no idea what a player will be like at AFL level when you draft them. You can only anticipate. Many players who have been considered very, very good VFL players haven't been much chop just one step up at AFL level.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

He must have shown something?

They say good players don't lose ability just form. If that is the case Bolts has been out of form for a long time now!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I think Draft Camp is very similar to Functional Assessments that organisations put potential employees through before employment. You are able to physically measure whether they are capable of performing a task, but there is no way of measuring whether there is quality in the performance of the task.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

andrewb wrote:
A lot of the game is played between the ears and Bolton just doesn't have the aggots for AFL.
Didn't realise that his aggots were between his ears. He should probably see a doctor about that.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Western Red wrote:He must have shown something?

They say good players don't lose ability just form. If that is the case Bolts has been out of form for a long time now!
I am led to believe that as a youngster he played the undersized athletic CHB role and used to dominate and rarely ever got beaten (sounds like Chad Cornes) and there was a load of interest in him at that time. Hense why we took him at pick 4.

When he got to the club sheeds seemed to make him trim right down and become this run with type player which he just doesnt seem to get.

This is not the only case of this happening to a player when they come to Windy Hill now is it??
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He did alright in 2001 which in when Henneman was also doing ok. I guess he was in a good side then and he was able to look better.
Trent
Top Up Player

Post by Trent »

Didn't do a bad job against the Dawks when he was pushed back in defence. Even if he lacks a football brain as said, at least he knows how to man up!

We just need to be smarter and play him in the right position (i.e. NOT half forward flank or around the goals). ... he's got pace and height. Just not the disposal and raw talent of a #4 draft pick (some people need to build a bridge and get over this fact!!!).

I can't remember Adam Goodes being held to 11 disosals (at least not in the latter half of 2006). Bolts had 7 and kicked a sausage roll at the SCG himself. I was at that game and thought Bolts played a blinder ... in fact, I wouldn't have considered playing anyone else on Goodes (and this is the Brownlow Medalist we are talking about!!!).

So in short ... yes, there is a place for him on the list.