Last night's game- standout

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
timbercote
Top Up Player

Last night's game- standout

Post by timbercote »

I went to the game last night and left very disappointed. However, there was one stand out for me-Mark McVeigh.
He seems to show such composure under pressure. He is very steady and his disposal skills are excellent.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I'm not going to be sucked in.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Re: Last night's game- standout

Post by spikefan »

timbercote wrote:I went to the game last night and left very disappointed. However, there was one stand out for me-Mark McVeigh.
He seems to show such composure under pressure. He is very steady and his disposal skills are excellent.

I completely agree with you Timbercote - I know my handle doesn't make me sound very objective so let me explain.

I also went to the game and I was actually disappointed that after his effort of the recent weeks McVeigh was again used as tagger playing on Shannon Grant - sound so much like last year. I knew Shannon Grant was in top form and had a blinder the week before against Sydney but still ... why no try someone else?

First half, McVeigh completely nullified Shannon Grant who barely touched the ball at all. Not unexpected imo.
During the second half McVeigh went to the bench and someone else (no name needed) played on Grant. After less than three minutes Shannon Grant bags two goals and you could see McVeigh on the side telling the coaches he has to go back in the game. Soon McVeigh is back on Shannon Grant who touches the ball ONCE for the rest of the game. Meanwhile McVeigh managed 18 disposals and three tackles.

What this says is not only that McVeigh is a great defender but that there is no one else in the side that can be trusted to do the job on a good small forward. NO ONE ELSE.

Hopefully Slatts and Nash come back from injury, but my fear is that it's going to be a very long year.

At least Mark McVeigh can walk tall after this disastrous game and have the satisfaction to have done his job well and played for the team, not for stats. I would think McVeigh is our top contender for the Crichton medal at this point.
Red and Black Forever
timbercote
Top Up Player

What do you think he needs to do to get to the next level ?

Post by timbercote »

Spikefan- well said

I was sitting to the side of the bench so I didn't notice what you did. Mark keeps his head up. He kicks accurately under pressure and seems to have "plenty of time" to do things. Personally,I think he'd make a terrific captain. His time will come.Lloyd tends to come back to help the defence presumably to show some leadership. Perhaps this could be avoided if the side had someonelse to demonstrate leadership.
Given the opportunity,I think that Mark has the ability to impose imself on a game. I believe that he has the ability to create a presence for himself on the park. The really good players have this ability to intimidate other players with their presence. What do you think he needs to do to get to the next level ?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

If only the other 75% of our list would display as much passion for the club as he does....
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Re: What do you think he needs to do to get to the next leve

Post by spikefan »

timbercote wrote:Personally, I think he'd make a terrific captain. His time will come.
Let's go one step at a time, Vice-captain next year would be nice, even though the title may not matter so much. Mark is already one of the leaders, suffices to see his interactions with the "kids" at training....
timbercote wrote:The really good players have this ability to intimidate other players with their presence. What do you think he needs to do to get to the next level ?
This year Mark seems to transition well from "good player" to the next level - the skills and fitness are there, the heart and the passion for sure but he needs to influence more the outcome of games. Hopefully we win some more games...
Red and Black Forever
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: What do you think he needs to do to get to the next leve

Post by F111 »

timbercote wrote:Spikefan- well said
............... What do you think he needs to do to get to the next level ?
He needs a couple of decent understudies that can do the job as he does. MJ was once able to, but he's lost form.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BD summed it up really well also. Spike plays with passion and for the jumper.

Thats what Carlton has over us. They really get themselves up each time they play us or Collingwood, because they have pride about what Carlton is (or used to be). Our players need to show that as well.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
timbercote
Top Up Player

Post by timbercote »

And he has all the skills to go with it. Look what happened when Vanderberg and co got stuck into us a couple of years ago afeter a revup from
Dermie. Some of the much vaunted fellows don't show the same under pressure.